• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Setting up RAID 1......couple of q's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kiyoshilionz

Well I'm swapping my 160GB Seagate IDE drive with a 160GB Maxtor IDE drive in order to make a RAID 1 setup (made possible by someone on the forum who was willing to swap). My mobo has IDE RAID and I shouldn't have any problems setting it up. But the problem is that I think that making a RAID array, whether it's basic mirroring or RAID 0 striping, all your data will be lost.

I can't really do this because I'll have nowhere to back up the ~65GB I have right now. So will I have to figure something out in order to back up my data before making the RAID 1 array?

Install both drives.
Set up raid array.
Select source drive as drive with info
Select detination drive as the blank one.
Hit duplicate.

Or.
Boot windows.
Install Raid drivers and utilities
Go into utilities and set up raid array.
Source and destination as above and duplicate.

2nd might be safer but the only 100% safe was is to back up your data on to another medium first, like a cd. It should not wipe out both drives when you duplicate as long as you have the right source drive. Raid 0 will cause you to loose all your data.

JT

neonblingbling said:
CDs? ^_^

Or DVDS....

Or you just HAVE to get a 74GB raptor to store it on.
LOL sounds like a great christmas gift to buy myself :)

But from what Jtanczos said below, it sounds like you can get the RAID 1 setup with a defined "source" drive that it'll copy over. That's what I was hoping someone would tell me. Thanks :)

But now that that problem's sorted out, I realized that if I ever upgrade my mobo, which has IDE RAID built-in, then I'll either have to get a PCI to ATA RAID controller, or else maybe get a IDE to SATA converter for both drives and then run them in SATA RAID. Would that cause any problems if the drives are still identical?

Back