• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shipped a computer via UPS / Heatsink issues now :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JohnMK

Registered
Hi there,

I built a computer based on some old parts I had (and some new ones that I ordered) for my cousin. I live in Seattle and he lives in New York. Thank God after 7 days of UPS Ground it arrived there pretty in-tact, except for the fan on the SLK800 heatsink came dislodged. When he booted it for the first time and inspected the Asus Probe temperature monitor, the CPU temp was around 65C at idle with the fan spinning properly and blowing air through the SLK800 fins. This is contrary to my experience with that particular computer as I was assembling it. Max temperature at maximum 100% CPU load was around 54C or so, idle was somewhere in the 40's. I had him do a quick compression test in virtualdubmod, and within seconds the CPU temperature was approaching 70 degrees. I had him abort the test immediately before it got any higher, it might have hit 80 at the rate it was going.

Are there any theories to explain what might be going on? He says the heatsink is securely fitted to the CPU, but with this evidence I doubt that. He's extremely hesitant about refitting the heatsink because he's never messed with a computer's internals before. I told him to grow new balls, but it's not convinced him. Until the situation is resolved I've told him not to do anything CPU intensive like divx encode, seti, etc.

Has anyone experienced something similar after shipping a computer with a heavy heatsink like the SLK800? This would be music to my ears, i.e. knowing that nothing much more sinister is actually going on would be a big relief for me.

ummmmm, do you mean that the entire SLK 800 came off during shipment??!?!? that would be VERY bad.

If it only moved a bit, he should reseat the HSF because it's probably not sitting properly

I agree with reseating the heatsink. Even with a no name crap heatsink and fan, it shouldn't get that hot. Whats the status of case cooling. What are the chassis/mobo temps reading at?

I would have him take it off, reapply some AS3 (or some other thermal goop), and reseat the heatsink. Making sure its put on the right way.

Yeah, tell him to grow a pair and tackle that job. Let him know step by step what to do and I'm sure he will get it fixed no problem.

It may also be related to lack of case fans and proper airflow, but still... I'll place my bets on the heatsink not making good contact to the cpu.

01_VTEC SE said:
ummmmm, do you mean that the entire SLK 800 came off during shipment??!?!? that would be VERY bad.

Nope, only the fan came off. As you know, the SLK800 doesn't have a very sturdy fan attachment mechanism.

ProGen said:
to me, it sounds like the fan may be on backwards.

Now that actually makes a lot of sense !!!

Try having him switch direction of the fan.

Good Job ProGen

and WELCOME TO THE FORUMS !!!

Back