• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shopping for a new WiFi Router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Puer Aeternus

WiFi Noob here....
My wired connection is about 30-55Mb/s on average.
2200476698.png
My Girlfriends WiFi connection is about 3- 10Mb/s as well as my Tablet. I assume our roommates connection is about the same.
I am using a Dlink DIR 615

her score via wifi
2200559273.png
(the router has a strong signal..full bars and is situated right below her office on the first floor...maybe 15 feet) after testing her pc..i want to shoot my router!

W/ out breaking the bank, i'd like to buy a Router that has wifi to match my direct connection and better handle 3 users. I do not notice any slowdowns however my girlfriend is always complaining about the internet being slow.
the D-Link DIR-655, Xtreme N Gigabit Router looks enticing if only for the price but I do not want to waste my money and get similar performance as the dir 615.
Thanks

(the router was initially bought for a bachelor apt and just for my pc and tablet...now that we have a house...the router needs to be shot...multiple times)

Last edited:
The original DIR 615 was a piece of crap that worked far better as a doorstop than a router. I had one for a few days :) If you don't mind not having 5GHz, try to find a cheap WRT350N with DD-WRT on eBay. One of those has been reliable for several years at my house.

These threads are coming up left and right lately... Check in this section for more info while you wait for replies.

any desire to put ddwrt on your current router?

Doesn't seem right that your getting those speeds

I checked my firmware....its current. I assume its just a poor router in regards to wifi. My Current ISP service is 29Mb/s and I usually get 34-50Mb/s w/ a wired connection so ive got no complaints there...I am going to check other threads in this section but more than likely ill get the Dlink 655....unless there is a better suggestion or I read a better solution.

BTW..thanks guys for all the input...networking is not my thing so this is all educational for me.

Im assuming you mean stock firmware. If you google ddwrt you can check router database. Just punch in DIR-615 and pick your revision. Follow the site from there and you'll have ddwrt up and running in no time :D hopefully .. maybe .. yeah! !

Given the crappy performance, I suspect he has an early (A or B) revision, which are unsupported by DD-WRT. Given that D-Link has re-used the same name for devices with six different chipsets and three different power supplies, I'm surprised any DIR-615 works at all.

Im assuming you mean stock firmware. If you google ddwrt you can check router database. Just punch in DIR-615 and pick your revision. Follow the site from there and you'll have ddwrt up and running in no time :D hopefully .. maybe .. yeah! !
Sorry...ordered the new router before I could look into ddwrt.

The new router rocks (Dlink 655)! The wired speed is the same, the wifi is faster than the 615, after a test on the GF's lappie...I got 17Mb/s....its not stellar but better than 3Mb/s.
I tested at 47Mb/s and my ISP's advertised speed is 29Mb/s. No complaints here.
Best of all....Finally I can connect BOTH PS3's to the router. W/ the 615 i was not able to and it was frustrating....Now I can. Happy camper here!
Thanks for all the advice folks!

Last edited:
Back