• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I be worried about my temps? [AMD FX-6300 | Hyper TX3 EVO]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ulrich

A few days ago I made a post talking about a recent cooler upgrade I made because my PC was getting too loud and too hot, which apparently was causing thermal Throttling. So I upgraded my cooler and made a thread about the results, where another user suggested my temps were... weird.

After looking online, I get the feeling that he might be right since most tests on this CPU easily put it well over 50ºC. Before the upgrade, it idled at about 55ºC and reached 72ºC while under load (the CPU temp is on the 4th graph on column to the right). BTW, it never went above that, which is why I assumed that thermal throttling was happening.

After the upgrade, I'm getting an idle temp of about 35ºC, with a room temp of about 23ºC. Under load with the blend test on Prime95, I'm getting a stable 49ºC. Also, its not just the readings, overall after the upgrade my games are way smoother and even the case feels cooler.

So, what do you guys thihnk? I'm thinking about doing some overclocking, which is why I would like to know if the temps are wrong.

I don't see anything wrong with your current temps. They're about right.

You'll be fine until you overclock. You really need something bigger than the TX3 Evo. The Hyper 212 Evo would have been about the same price and given you much more cooling power. But it is tall and considerations of whether it would fit in your case should be made.

You'll be fine until you overclock. You really need something bigger than the TX3 Evo. The Hyper 212 Evo would have been about the same price and given you much more cooling power. But it is tall and considerations of whether it would fit in your case should be made.

Yea, I chose the TX3 for its size. Also, after a mild overclock to 4.2 Ghz from the original 3.5 is already looking unstable. Here are the results after testing it with blend, the CPU temp is to the 3rd graph up from the bottom on the collumn to the right. It is going up to 55ºC and then throttling, but I see no change on the load levels (bottom graphs) so I don't know what the hell is going on because it doesn't even look like a thermal throttle :bang head

Any ideas?

What is your motherboard? Looks like the infamous vrm throttling, very common on most FX boards (only a few of them don't do it like the sabertooth).

Need to disable APM in the bios if you have the option and blow some air on the vrm session and at the back of the Mobo, on the socket place. Should do the trick.

Edit : the TX3 was my first noob mistake a few years ago ;) It was barely good enough to take my 955BE to 3.6GHz. on another hand, I used to run a [email protected] with an hyper 212.

Last edited:
What is your motherboard? Looks like the infamous vrm throttling, very common on most FX boards (only a few of them don't do it like the sabertooth).

Need to disable APM in the bios if you have the option and blow some air on the vrm session and at the back of the Mobo, on the socket place. Should do the trick.

Edit : the TX3 was my first noob mistake a few years ago ;) It was barely good enough to take my 955BE to 3.6GHz. on another hand, I used to run a [email protected] with an hyper 212.

*********. That's it. my mobo has no VRM cooling. I guess at least now I know what will be my next item to upgrade.

Thanks for the help!

If I may, stop throwing money on an outdated platform (no offense ;)). Sell what you have and grab a 4/6 cores Ryzen. Mobo's are dead cheap, and to can get a full platform upgrade for $/€ 300, minus the resellvalue of your stuff (Mobo+CPU+ddr3), and you are $/€150/200 out of your pocket for a HUGE performance increase.

My 2 cents though...

If I may, stop throwing money on an outdated platform (no offense ;)). Sell what you have and grab a 4/6 cores Ryzen. Mobo's are dead cheap, and to can get a full platform upgrade for $/€ 300, minus the resellvalue of your stuff (Mobo+CPU+ddr3), and you are $/€150/200 out of your pocket for a HUGE performance increase.

My 2 cents though...

Not just your 2 cents, that's solid advice. A Ryzen 5 + a B350 mobo are my next items to purchase, but I was hoping I didn't have to go there so soon.

Back