• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should i cut off these grills

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
removing them fan grills will improve airflow by 33% to 50 % to maybe 60% :) depends on the restriction per grill...

if your ambient temps are higher than your room temps, then youll see a decrease in ambient temps, thus see a decrease in CPU temps! :D

good luck, and make sure you remove it all, unless you using tin snips, i used tin snips (sp?) i covered the back with a plastic bag, so debree would fall into the bag :) ( i believe archilochus uses the same method :p but i thought of this one myself too!)

serane wrap? are you insane!? I dont think i would use an electrostatic substance to protect the inside of your computer.....definatly take everything out. dont **** around with parts that cost hundreds of dollars.

electrostatic charges killed my sound card (carpet is evil!)
serane wrap doesn't have that strong of charges, but i'd try and use soemthing else lol.

The normal fan grills also create a whine, adding to your comps noise level.
To test this, blow on your finger, and move it nearer and farther away from your mouth. You will notice that the noise created by the rushing air is greater, when the finger is near.

I used masking tape and news paper so no fillings could get to my motherboard when I cut the fan grills out. I had no trouble with fillings but I made sure I cleaned up thoroughly, you have to be meticulous.

It had great results.

u should definitely remove those grills, and especially urs, it looks like someone drilled 1/16" holes in the back, if u have a dremel, i would empty everything out (including psu drives, etc.), i wouldnt trust newspaper to protect everything from the shavings

Operation Complete. So far, I have about 6-7°C difference. From 53°C to about 45°C. Still high, but a new heatsink after x-mas should remedy that.

well when i first got my computer, my case had not arrived yet so instead i ran it outside, caseless til i got a case. As for the holes, they gotta go. If your worried aobut fingers order some 1 dollar low air restriction grilles from SVC http://www.svc.com/58556.html (note, this link is to 80 mm grilles)

that would help in airflow for sure, keep the screw holes there an then put a smaller grill on it so your fingers don't get chopped off by em

Now it doesnt seem that im getting lower temps. If so they are only lowered by 1-2°c
I might try organizing the cables in side. So tomorrow starts round 2 of my battle to cool my system down w/o spending much $$$$.

Last edited:
Back