• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I fold on my CPU and GPU, or GPU only?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wjruth

I'm folding 24/7 on the GTX 950 and seem to be getting around 115k ppd. The CPU is a 2 core with hyperthreading and is pulling in 6,000ppd. Would it help the GPU to not fold on the CPU? I know if I add a second GPU to the mix, the cpu would slow down the GPUs if all were running 100%.

I still fold on one of my CPU's with 10 cores but as a rule, I do not. Too few points, too much heat and it can on occasion interfere with the GPU folding.

I do GPU only since also using the CPU nearly doubles power usage for about 10% increase in points. Even if power were "free", it probably still wouldn't make sense.

I stopped folding on the CPU and the pins for my side fan and connected them so it's getting 7v instead of 12v. Makes it quieter but still moves air.

CPU folding is not worth the power cost anymore. GPU is where the action is for now.

Back