• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I replace the push/pull NF-P12s on my H50?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JazzMac251

Registered
Hey guys. I've been thinking about overall case noise level lately. I noticed that the subtle whine of the Noctuas coupled with the noise of some cheaper fans was all for naught when my PC was under everyday use-conditions, i.e. chat, surf, mail etc. I just plain don't need that much cooling. Then it occurred to me that if i'm going to invest in a rheostat and dial the fans down to an inaudible level anyway, why not get one of those high performance, high RPM/CFM monsters like the Scythe S-flex G or the Yate Loon or something similar so i could have massive cooling potential on tap for benching/folding?

I was wondering if it's even worth making the switch on my h50 from what is already a pretty nice set of fans (the Noctuas) to a more powerful set. If you think it is, any particular recommendations?

Thanks!

Hey guys. I've been thinking about overall case noise level lately. I noticed that the subtle whine of the Noctuas coupled with the noise of some cheaper fans was all for naught when my PC was under everyday use-conditions, i.e. chat, surf, mail etc. I just plain don't need that much cooling. Then it occurred to me that if i'm going to invest in a rheostat and dial the fans down to an inaudible level anyway, why not get one of those high performance, high RPM/CFM monsters like the Scythe S-flex G or the Yate Loon or something similar so i could have massive cooling potential on tap for benching/folding?

I was wondering if it's even worth making the switch on my h50 from what is already a pretty nice set of fans (the Noctuas) to a more powerful set. If you think it is, any particular recommendations?

Thanks!

I was wondering kinda the same thing.

I was wondering if a swap from my coolermaster v10 fans to some loons would be better cooling(but don't know if the TEC limits speed or just volts)

First, Yate Loon 25mm thick fans are NOT monster fans. They are very good fans at the price.

Your biggest issue might be you need to get a good but cheap fan controller like this and some monster fans.
http://www.jab-tech.com/Sunbeam-5-1-4-Rheobus-Kit-BLACK-pr-2530.html
I love mine, see my sig and what it can handle.

Fan tests, pls bookmark for future ref.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/120-140-fans-roundup_28.html#sect0
http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=1&artpage=4122&articID=936
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=202394 mora links

Are you using outside case air for the rad? Remember it's only an H50 when hoping for better temps. You can't cheat physics. It's a tiny tiny rad.

First, Yate Loon 25mm thick fans are NOT monster fans. They are very good fans at the price.

Your biggest issue might be you need to get a good but cheap fan controller like this and some monster fans.
http://www.jab-tech.com/Sunbeam-5-1-4-Rheobus-Kit-BLACK-pr-2530.html
I love mine, see my sig and what it can handle.

Fan tests, pls bookmark for future ref.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/120-140-fans-roundup_28.html#sect0
http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=1&artpage=4122&articID=936
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=202394 mora links

Are you using outside case air for the rad? Remember it's only an H50 when hoping for better temps. You can't cheat physics. It's a tiny tiny rad.

Thanks for the links! very helpful. Fan noise curves are kind of important to me. I don't mind a fan that gets loud as hell under serious loads, but I wouldn't want a fan that would, for example, be even louder than the NF-P12s at the same RPM (which i think is somehting like 19db at 1300RPM). I like the Noctuas; I just want more upward headroom.

I am using outside air for the rad., but I'm toying with the idea of switching it around. I have a CM Storm case with a 140mm and a 120mm fan as intakes mounted on the front, two 120mm mounted on the side of the case exhausting, one 140mm fan exhausting out on top of the case, and the 2 Noctuas sucking air through the rad on the back. I was noticing that even with this setup there is some serious airflow coming in from the front of the case. If i were to flip the Noctuas - which are the highest CFM fans in the case- around, I could have some pretty extreme negative pressure in the case - and negative pressure of the best kind. Utterly massive amounts of cool air being drawn over my components and exhausted out the top, back, and sides, with the most serious contributor to case heat - the CPU - nearly completely taken out of the equation. True, I'd be drawing in-case air through the rad, but when you have that much airflow, does it really make a different?

I think i just inherently hate the idea of blowing ~100 CFM of 88c air all over my components under stress. A switch could be interesting.

I'm thinking of going with the:

Thermalright FDB 2000
Scythe Ultra Kaze 2000
Noiseblocker MF12-P or XLP
Scythe S-Flex F or G

Leaning towards the NB MF12-P

Preferences? Comments? Suggestions? Warnings?

in my opinion, switching won't do you much good and probably won't lower your temps at all. Single P12's aren't all that powerful, but when used in a pair, with the right rad or heatsink, they perform very well. They also have fluid bearings and will last forever unlike cheap sleeve bearings which will probably start to make a nice whine of their own after a year or so. I'd leave well enough alone..

Noctua does make a new 140mm fan that actually mounts to 120mm brackets, so you might give those a look.

in my opinion, switching won't do you much good and probably won't lower your temps at all. Single P12's aren't all that powerful, but when used in a pair, with the right rad or heatsink, they perform very well. They also have fluid bearings and will last forever unlike cheap sleeve bearings which will probably start to make a nice whine of their own after a year or so. I'd leave well enough alone..

Noctua does make a new 140mm fan that actually mounts to 120mm brackets, so you might give those a look.

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into it. Although, i think a higher RPM still might net me better temps. I think my h50 is underperforming a bit

Of the ones you have mentioned, I have experience with the following fans:

Scythe S-Flex F and G - FDB bearings (good) The F model is a good all around fan, not too noisy. The G model pushes more air but is a bit loud and both are louder than the Noctua fans you are presently using, but also push more air at higher static pressure. And I would suspect the corresponding models from Thermalright to perform similar to these.

Gentle Typhoon AP-15 - double ball bearings (good) These surprised me at how quiet they are actually for the rpm they turn at. They move more air than the Noctua but are fairly close to them in noise, IMO. And the noise is different too, I guess due to the highly swept blade configuration of the impeller.

Another series that's not on your list and is worth looking at is the Panaflo L1BX fans, which are 120 x 38 mm fans. They move a good amount of air at decent static pressure and are actually quieter than the S-Flex "G" fans. But they are thicker than a regular fan, which I don't know if that would hinder you using them. They use a "Hydrowave" bearing which is basically the same bearing type used by the Scythe and Noctua fans.

As for your temps, don't expect miracles from that H50 with uprated fans. I imagine you would see a couple of C better temps and that's about it.

Now if you want true monster fans, put a couple of these bad boy Delta's along with a fan controller.:shock: :comp:

Thanks Mudd.

Looks like it's getting down between the Panflo and the Gentle Typhoon - although i still like those Noiseblockers too.

Scythe Ultra Kaze 2000 seems to be the best bang for the buck - although it does have the cheaper sleeve bearing that i hear is prone to developing a nice whine after a while. I'm also worried that this fan may be "clicky" at low RPM. Youtube vids of the 3000 model show a very clicky fan, but vids of the 1000 model aren't. I don't know that to think of the 2000 mode. I hate clicky fans - a lot.

The Noiseblocker M12 S3HS puts out 14 CFM less than the Ultra Kaze 2000, but is 6db quieter and uses a much better bearing - guaranteed for 6 years. Youtube vids of this fan show that it is, indeed, very quiet.

The Panaflo L1BX puts out 4 CFM less than the Noiseblocker, but is 3db louder.

I've never bought or seen any Noiseblocker fans, so I can't comment on their posted cfm or noise figures. But I do believe the Panaflo figures to be accurate, from experience with them and with other fans that have much inflated cfm and deflated dB figures. I take it you are talking about the Noiseblocker NB-Multiframe M12-S3HS model, right? It's an interesting looking fan, but a bit rich for my blood. Get one and let us know what you think of it.

Im currently running Xigmatek 120mm orange fans on my H50 in push/pull config.

60cfm @ <20db
Keeps my i7 right around 70*c @ 3.8ghz while @ 100% load.

Xigmatek does make a fan that does ~70cfm @ <24db might try these out soon.

I was going to ask how loud that fan is, so I googled the 56.4 dB rating and found this:

:shock:

hahaha yeah. I saw on youtube that someone mentioned having 6 of those in their case. I can't even imagine how loud that would be.... :attn:

The damn thing probably hovers.

Back