• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I try for a warranty claim?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BoundByBlood

Maybe Something Cool?
I legitimately have the worst luck.

My motherboard needed to be replaced and I got the new board today so I put everything back together and when I get to the processor it won't fall into the socket as easily as it should. I don't try to insert it and I pick it up looking at it.

That's when I notice there are bent pins around the four corners. When I took the processor out of the old computer I put it back into the clamshell so I have no idea how the pins even became bent. To make it insult on top of injury this is a replacement CPU.

When I took it out of the old motherboard I put it back into the clamshell so I don't have the slightest idea how they became bent and it's more than just a few. AMD does not warrant bent pins and I could try to think of some excuse to pass it off to them, but chances are they will notice the bent pins when they do their visual inspection.

They're not bent too badly, but enough that the processor won't drop into the socket. I don't have the tools to straighten them out myself and I wouldn't trust myself to try and straighten them. Knowing my luck and the way things have been going I would break some of the pins in the process.

So should I try to find some way for another warranty claim? Or am I SOL?

I've had good luck with a 6" machinist's rule (metal) and razor blades straightening AMD pins. Also a paring knife and a driver's license and a credit card. (Yes, I bent some pins here and there. :) ) That's the best I can offer as I'm not familiar with AMD's RMA process.

A plastic credit card is your friend. Just about exactly the right thickness and if you run it down between the pin rows it will usually automatically align the pins.

Where did you get the CPU? Can you return it to the vendor? If you want to try a return I would just tell the vendor that it arrived with bent pins. You don't know otherwise do you and the evidence would suggest that is the case sense it wouldn't drop easily into the socket.

As an aside, you should always check for bent pins on any Intel motherboard socket and any AMD CPU immediately when you remove them from the box and before you try to install anything. It is not uncommon to find bent pins right out of the box. I think sometimes this may be due to the item being a return in the first place that was not properly inspected before being repackaged.

It is not uncommon to find bent pins right out of the box. I think sometimes this may be due to the item being a return in the first place that was not properly inspected before being repackaged.

This^. I have seen a lot of people report that very issue. That, and if you could follow a single package through the shipping process you would be amazed that anything ever arrives in one piece. Large USPS facilities can toss a package (marked 'Fragile') down a four story vertical chute. UPS/FedEx package handling would make a professional wrestler cringe.

The original CPU was bought from newegg.com months ago. The current CPU I have is a new in the box replacement from AMD since the old one was unstable and heat issues.

I took the processor out of the socket and at that time the pins were straight. I put it back into the clamshell when I did a RMA on the MB so I really don't know how the pins became bent.

At any rate the razor blade trick worked and I was able to straighten them out.

So the cookie goes to Alaric ;)

Last edited:
I have two Cuban cigars and a bag of popcorn for the both of you :popcorn:

Make sure you enjoy them- the cigars not the popcorn - because these bad boys are expensive!

The original CPU was bought from newegg.com months ago. The current CPU I have is a new in the box replacement from AMD since the old one was unstable and heat issues.

I took the processor out of the socket and at that time the pins were straight. I put it back into the clamshell when I did a RMA on the MB so I really don't know how the pins became bent.

At any rate the razor blade trick worked and I was able to straighten them out.

So the cookie goes to Alaric ;)

You know those motherboard pins scare me to death. My last build (1151 board) looked like it had a few bent pins after the CPU slipped from my fingers at a distance of just 1/2 inch but I just couldn't tell so I took some photos and sent them to ATM to have a younger set of eyes take a look. My digital camera is 10 years old and doesn't take the great closeups many of the new ones do so it wasn't definitive to ATM. So I just dropped the CPU in and hoped for the best and it all worked. The longer I looked at them with a magnifying glass the more "bent" they got! :rofl:

I hate those frikken MB pins! :(

You know those motherboard pins scare me to death. My last build (1151 board) looked like it had a few bent pins after the CPU slipped from my fingers at a distance of just 1/2 inch but I just couldn't tell so I took some photos and sent them to ATM to have a younger set of eyes take a look. My digital camera is 10 years old and doesn't take the great closeups many of the new ones do so it wasn't definitive to ATM. So I just dropped the CPU in and hoped for the best and it all worked. The longer I looked at them with a magnifying glass the more "bent" they got! :rofl:

I hate those frikken MB pins! :(

You and me both :)

Back