• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sk-7 Vs Ax-7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zoltrix!

Registered
i AM going to buy a coolermaster 4 led fan (oWnZ :clap: ) on my not even bought cpu (XP 2000 + ), as u can see i have good cooling (i think)
8 fans, 1 in the roof, 2 in the back, 1 in the front, 1 92 m"m enermax in the side panel, 1 above my agp slot (ti-500) & 1 in the side of it)
its in hebrow i know...

I WANT exelent cooling, but i cant get in israel the SK-7, and i know the ax-7 will give me less preformens. is it woorth to buy the SK-7 abroad & send it toisrael ?

The SK-7 may be a tad more effective than the AX-7, but the AX-7 is still a pretty fine piece. Personally I would be (happily) using the AX-7 in your position.

AX-7

Ive ran both of these heatsink combo's

and in my own private testing found the AX-7 to be the better of the two....

Runnin a delta 80mm with it also :)

like everyone had said, AX7 and SK7 should give similar performance .. save your money and stick w/ AX7 :) .. to have even more effective cooling, try putting a duct on your rig :) .. cheaper and could greatly improving cpu temp.

Yah go with the ax7... Only reason sk7 got a higher score was that it had a more powerful fan hooked up to it. In truth I'd be surprised if both with the delta, the two heatsinks would be more than .01-.02 c/w apart.

yes it is, its also IMO better than the sk-7. Sk-7 is pure copper, which requires a high speed fan to disspiate the heat it absorbs, the ax-7 is an aluminum/copper combo, which dissipiates heat much better with a lower cfm fan, so if you dont want your ears to bleed, get the ax-7 and 7v a tornado or delta 68.

i was thinking about getting an sk7, but after this stuff ill just keep it.

makes sense, the best heatsinks out there are aluminium-copper base like the switftys..

I like my SK-7, haven't tried the AX-7, but I'm just letting you know it does a fine job of cooling with a 3000 rpm fan on it.

larva said:
The SK-7 may be a tad more effective than the AX-7, but the AX-7 is still a pretty fine piece. Personally I would be (happily) using the AX-7 in your position.

Ditto. No need to go through all that hassle for 2-3 degrees or maybe even none especially when you're in Israel (Lots of shipping and customs I assume).

obliv said:
yes it is, its also IMO better than the sk-7. Sk-7 is pure copper, which requires a high speed fan to disspiate the heat it absorbs, the ax-7 is an aluminum/copper combo, which dissipiates heat much better with a lower cfm fan, so if you dont want your ears to bleed, get the ax-7 and 7v a tornado or delta 68.

I don't get why I keep hearing this. It makes no sense in a physics standpoint. Sure, aluminum gets rid of heat to air better than copper. But it 's also harder for the copper to get rid of its heat to the aluminum, even if joined perfectly. Also, a 2-part heatsink will likely have a region where the two do not touch very well, slowing conduction.

Despite all this, the AX-7 is a well designed heatsink. It balances back-pressure on the fan and airflow well. This means low speed fans can cool this well, and while high speed ones do better, they do not have the maximum effect.
The SK-7, as well as the SLK-800, do better with high speed fans. They create more back-pressure, which slows the airflow with all but high speed fans. However, they have a lot more surface area. Therefore, with a more powerful fan, they cool better. Unfortunately, more powerfun fans are noisier.

Basically, if you want the best performance, go with a SK-7 and a high speed fan. If you want the best performance that is easy on your ears, go with the AX-7.
In any case, I doubt you will see much difference... only a couple degrees C, so I would go with the AX-7.

I would like to point out something here. With Abit mobos, my sk7 is mounted with the fins in a lateral orientation. I have a duct made to pull air off the heatsink and out of the case. This works well in reducing the backpressure and keeping case temps a little lower. I'm not using a high speed fan, but my temps are nice and low. I assume that a different mobo with vertical orientation of hs fins would do the same if the ps had two fans. I haven't used the ax7, but i know that my mod wouldn't work with its design.

Back