• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

slk 800 + 50cfm sunon fan = high temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Edien

right now im running my athlon 2100+ at 140x12.5 an am idling @ 42/43 and max load at 48/49 and having a case temp of 39 deg!! I have 3 WD SE Hds in there + Geforce 4 which im not sure if it is genning alot of heat. I have the side of my case open to. I just thought my high temps kinda weird, neh? (specially with a slk-800 and a 50cfm fan) Im using AS3 and i applied a nice layer to. The heatsink had a smooth surface, but I had tested it on another older cpu to see fi the clip would crack the die (which it didnt) and it left an imprint of the core on the HS...think that could be causing this? Any advice would help, ty

did you lap it? whats the voltage and ambient temp?

and by a 'nice layer' of as3 does that mean a thick or thin layer? it should be as thin as possible

Like Mage said if the layer is thick then that could be your problem. You hardly need any AS3 on there. If you take it off and you don't see the core (only AS3) then you have too much on there. You should be able to see the core when you take it off with just a little on the sides.

If the case temp is really 39 degrees, then that heatsink/fan is doing a great job. I think that temperature sensor is probably just sitting nearby something hot, though. Still, it looks like there's nothing wrong with your heatsink/fan. You probably just need more airflow through the case. A well-ventilated case should give you even better temperatures than one that is just opened up.

Im going to lap it tonight, Is using dry sand paper alright? I heard it should be wet or sumin once, going to use 800-2000 grit on it and try that. Are digital docs any good? planning on getting one soon. Also, is it tru that a closed case with good airflow is better then leaving the side open? because w/ the side open i still have a 38 deg case =/

If thats 38 degrees celcius, then I think it is alittle on the high side. That like 100 degrees F ! Im sure your room temp isnt that high. Thats more what your processor should be running than your case. I would think that 3 hd and a G4 card would heat thinks up a bit though. Do you have adequate air flow in your case? Its important that you do, especially with 3 hd's. So unless your room temp is hovering around 90F, I think you may not have enough air flowing through the case.

BTW, where are these temps coming from? your bios or a temp monitoring program?

And yes the closed case thing is true. with my case side off, my cpu temp drops 1-2c, but my case temp rises 2-3c.

ok cool, imma mod the side of my case with 2 85 cfm 120mm fans, one over my cpu and one over my gpu. I also plan on adding another exhaust. If i close my case atm my temps go into the 40's inside. Think those 85 cfm fans will get things moving?

just a thought, but im not sure if you want to place a fan directly over your heatsink fan. i would assume that such a strong airflow would still help temps but i know that my stock heatsink fan is rated to run at 5000 rpms and it does with the side of my case off. when i put the side of my case on which has a fan placed directly over the heatsink fan, the heatsink fan then runs at only 4200 rpm's... with the strength of fans your using they might knock as much as a couple thousand rpm's off the heatsink fan. i dont know how you calculate the benefits and losses, but its just something to consider. i can say that my temps are much better with the side on than with it off. normally, i run at about 11C above ambient and with the side of the case off i run at 15-16C above ambient. those are just relative numbers though that show i still get better temps with the side on, even though the heatsink fan rpm's drop - never put much faith in temperature readings.

so the point is, you may get better temps with placeing the fan off to the side than directly over the heatsink fan, or vice versa. perhaps this would be a good thing to test before modding the side of your case. you could simply use a board of wood or even cardboard as a side to the case and try the two setups to see which works best. just a thought, good luck with your setup. :)

One thing, tho: I think the fact that the outside air is cooler than the recirlculated air inside the case makes up for the (possibly) decreased airflow. I insert that "possibly" in there because I'm not sure that the actual airflow onto the heatsink has to decrease when the fan spins slower. That's just a thought, though, so I could be wrong.

im planning what im going to do to my case now, atm i lapped the heatsink and replaced it; with the case at 34 deg i idled at 38, but when i tortured it with prime95 the max load was 45/46 deg and the case temp got up to 37/38 again. Hrm. Where should i place the fans? If not over the cpu? Right now my temps are 36/41 after the torture test

I have no idea what case you have but.......... may you should try putting one of the 120mm blowing cool air in the front of your case if it will fit. Im assuming you have a 80mm fan exausting at the back so leave it there. Then one 80mm fan blowing cool air in the side of your case, like at your pci and agp slot. Then another 80mm fan exausting out the top.

This is just an idea, since I dont have 120mm fans or case fans pushing so many cfm Im not sure what to advise on this. My case has 5 80mm fans. 2 blowing in the front, 1 blowing in the side window, and 2 exausting out the back.

Good Luck.:cool:

what are your room temperatures outside of your case?

one other question...
The heatsink had a smooth surface, but I had tested it on another older cpu to see fi the clip would crack the die (which it didnt) and it left an imprint of the core on the HS...think that could be causing this? Any advice would help, ty

from what you say there, it sounds like the heatsink came with a thermal interface material already on it (im not sure exactly what you did because you also said you applied as3, so i dont understand completely what you did before applying the heatsink, please explain more and tell if it came with a tim already applied). If so, then this is what happens with that kind of material - the material is placed on heatsink at factory and is solid state when it arrives to you, you place it on the cpu and the heat from the cpu warms the thermal material and melts it so that it conforms exactly to the die, then it hardens and never melts again. that is the life cycle of this kind of thermal interface material... if you have that kind of material on your heatsink then it would explain why you have bad cpu temps - the material conformed to a different cpu than the current one (the cpu you tested it on) so there are very likely microscopic air pockets at your TIM joint. i would recommend removing all thermal compound from the bottom, and reapplying as3 or the like. good luck. :)

(Just by the way, so no one tells me im an idiot, cpu temperatures ten degrees above case temperature is not that abnormal, my cpu temps are usually 11-16C above case temps and thats with retail hs and fan. i would expect better than that with the slk 800 and a good fan however. What is your vcore?)

Last edited:
Hrm, sorry took me so long to respond, but my Vcore is 1.8 atm. Im planning on using a 92mm fan its 57cfm @ 35dba(instead of the 120mm - take up too much room) - going to put 2 of the 92mm fans - one over cpu and one over agp / pci area. im also going to add a 40cfm exhaust at the top. My front case fans (i have a lian li pc61 case) are blowing into my hard drives which are pretty hot. (120gb hds seem to get very hot- and noisy)- Only have 2 27.5 cfm 80mm fans there, should i get like 34 cfm or 40 cfm fans? =P Yesterday i put a fan accross my computer, it moved air into my case for about 10 minutes, my case was at 29 deg and my cpu was at 34 degrees. hopefully i will get a similair effect with this mod

sounds like pumping up the airflow in your case will do what you want... if a fan blowing on your computer like that improved temps then i would expect more flow through the case may have the same effect.

Back