• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So when is the new Ice Lake and Tiger Lake Desktop expected release time frame?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So whenever you buy... buy the best you can/want to afford if that is the way things work for you. There is always something better around the corner, but keep an eye out for how these features you want actually affect you instead of looking at the next version as better regardless.

Are you a hardcore gamer or bencher? Then PCIe 4.0 like won't help outside of having more lanes for M.2 devices - but are you really going to use more than two m.2 drives and four sata ports?? If so, then you should go AMD as it has more PCIe lanes/bandwidth/PCIe 4.0 (2 m.2 and six sata ports).

DDR5 isn't going to be a game-changer for most consumers...DDR5 will not make it to Zen 3 AFAIK. So that will be Zen 4 and 2021+ I believe.

.... with that, I say buy a Zen 2/X570 AMD based system now. It seems like it checks off all the boxes for you already.

GL!!!

Last edited:
The advice is sound for anyone in the market right now. Because it does appear that 2020 Ryzen 4000 Zen 3 will just be a little more efficient and smaller, maybe cheaper. Same socket - so certainly little reason to wait. Buying Zen 2/X570 now is better, I agree.

2021 Ryzen 5000 Zen 4 on the other hand - now that's some exciting revolutionary stuff. Brand new socket AM5; 5nm ; PCIe 5 ; DDR 5.

And on the Intel side, there is a leaked Intel slide that shows that it will not be Tiger Lake, but its successor Sapphire Rapids that will have DDR5.
Educated guess at this time would be late 2021 for these new quantum leaps. I do think PCIe 5 and DDR 5 are exciting and very useful! It's what will take a system well into roaring twenties! Things are definitely clearer for me now as far as what's on the horizon. It's going to be great! Thank you all for posting.

According to HotHardware: https://hothardware.com/news/intel-core-i5-10600-comet-lake-s-6-cores-47ghz-boost-clock

Intel is on the verge of releasing a new family of desktop processors, and like many generations that have come before it, Comet Lake-S will be based on venerable 14nm process tech. The latest processor from this upcoming desktop launch has leaked in the form of the Core i5-10600.
The Core i5-10600 was spotted running 3DMark, where it is presented as a 6 core/12-thread processor with a base clock of 3.3GHz and a boost clock of 4.7GHz.

Anything Intel claims about 10 nm or beyond ought to be taken with a grain of salt. Note that the above is yet another new socket. The only difference between the 9xxx and 10xxx i5's seems to be HT, for the latter. Anybody interested in upgrading this year or early next year ought to seriously consider the long term upgrade path before committing to Intel. The product lineup and upgrade path seems simpler on the AMD side.

On what I've seen, all Intel have officially said on 10nm for desktop is that it isn't cancelled as some previous rumours put it. That doesn't in itself mean it will come any time soon. This incoming consumer 14nm 10th gen would probably see Intel through 2020. If 10nm hits mainstream, we would be looking at 2021, which is nudging on their (unofficial) 7nm timeline. My interpretation of this is we might see a HEDT 10nm part towards end of next year given they're doing a 10nm server part 1H2020. Intel can then still claim they shipped a 10nm desktop part even if it isn't the mainstream one some enthusiasts might hope for.

Back