• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Socket 939 Athlon 64 3400+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NeoGeo

Hey,

Just got done reading the front page article on cheapy cheap 939 A64s at NewEgg. I did a little more searching, and I don't know if this has already been discovered, but NewEgg seems to have a socket 939 3400+ as well as the 3000+ and 3200+.

NewEgg 939 3400+

Looks to be a 130nm NewCastle at who knows what speed. Is there any more info out there on this chip? I wonder why it wasn't a 90nm chip.

Anybody want to throw out some conjecture as to why this chip exists or why AMD needed something in between 3200+ and 3500+. Also, why is this 3400+ 130nm instead of 90nm?

NeoGeo

I emailed newegg about it on Friday, it should be corrected by Monday.

That's a pretty good typo. Is it a mistake b/c of a typo on the CPU's HS?

As Shade00 said, the picture of the chip matches the description. But, the specs in the description match a 130nm 3500+.

Code off the picture:
ADA3400DEP4AZ
CBAUC 0432RPDW

D= 939 pin

Yeah I am not so sure its a typo - otherwise Newegg are into photoshopping! Also the code with the last two letters being AZ suggest 130nm but a newer revision than AX....
Others are claiming that the 3400+ is merely the 3500+ being repositioned. Would be unusual to say the least - but then again AMD are always springing surprises. However that would mean the 3800+ would have to become a 3700+ as well.

Last edited:
You know newegg did mislabel the 3000+ and the 3200+ stating they're 2 & 2.2 GHz which they're not: http://www.c627627.com/AMD/Athlon64/ they're 1.8 and 2 GHz.

As for the 3400+:
Subject: RE: incorrect description
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 19:27:20 -0700
To: Me

Dear xxxx

Thank you for contacting us.

I will forward this information to the appropriate party. This information will be updated
within 24-48 hours.

Thank you,
Janet

I think we'll see a faster resolution if someone orders one. ;)

I don't know what to think. Perhaps it's a D0 revision 130nm 3500+ that AMD renamed. Who knows. It's just plain bizarre.

It would show up in AMD documentation, wouldn't it?

The thing is c627627 I would accept it as a typo if it was not for the picture of the cpu itself. The picture clearly has DEP4"AZ" which would indicate a photoshop job (current Newcastles as you know end AX) which I wouldnt think Newegg are into unless they have been duped (I dont recall Newegg giving wrong cpu pictures - certainly not pictures of cpus which to date dont exist).
All you have received is a standard reply rather than an admission of them having incorrect info.

OC Detective said:
The thing is c627627 I would accept it as a typo if it was not for the picture of the cpu itself. The picture clearly has DEP4"AZ" which would indicate a photoshop job (current Newcastles as you know end AX) which I wouldnt think Newegg are into unless they have been duped (I dont recall Newegg giving wrong cpu pictures - certainly not pictures of cpus which to date dont exist).
All you have received is a standard reply rather than an admission of them having incorrect info.

I just can't believe that Newegg would photoshop it. 'AZ' would seem to indicate another revision of some sort.

Shade00 said:
I just can't believe that Newegg would photoshop it. 'AZ' would seem to indicate another revision of some sort.
Neither would I - however it has mysteriously disappeared when you search 3400+ direct from the front page but the original link still works.
Just wonder if Newegg are supposedly to be selling them "now" rather than later!

Yeah, you're right (but they did make a mistake with 3000+ & 3200+ frequency though, right?)

As for the 3400+, the photo proves it exists.

OK...so it's not a Winchester but a Newcastle, right? So that leaves us with

• It's a 2.2 GHz rebadged 3500+ Newcastle which they renamed so that 3500+ PR rating can only be used with Winchesters from now on.

• It's a 2 GHz Newcastle.

Both options make little sense but man, friggin AMD, this kind of thing simply does not happen with Intel.

c627627 said:
Yeah, you're right (but they did make a mistake with 3000+ & 3200+ frequency though, right?)

As for the 3400+, the photo proves it exists.

OK...so it's not a Winchester but a Newcastle, right? So that leaves us with

• It's a 2.2 GHz rebadged 3500+ Newcastle which they renamed so that 3500+ PR rating can only be used with Winchesters from now on.

• It's a 2 GHz Newcastle.

Both options make little sense but man, friggin AMD, this kind of thing simply does not happen with Intel.

No it doesnt happen with Intel! I am leaning towards it being a 939 2.2GHz (definitely a Newcastle as 90nm have the letter "B" second from the end of the 6 diigit code) and that AMD are realigning their pr ratings. If true at 293 dollars its a damn good price (near the price point where I would buy it actually!) and about 20 bucks cheaper that the "actual" 3500+'s (OEM v OEM).
As for typos well considering Neweggs have had drillhammers in stock before we all know they do that from time to time, but the picture of the cpu changes things in this instance.

OC Detective said:
Neither would I - however it has mysteriously disappeared when you search 3400+ direct from the front page but the original link still works.
Just wonder if Newegg are supposedly to be selling them "now" rather than later!

Interestingly, the 90nm 3000+ and 3200+ processors won't show up either.

Hopefully we'll have some news in the next couple of days.

Actually when I did a search this morning (malaysian time) on 3400+ it did come up with this cpu at the top of the list - but it doesnt now thats why I commented about it as I assumed this had been the case from the start (which you suggest it wasnt).

My guess is that AMD might be shifting around its PR along the 939 line of chips.

At first I thought they would replace the 3500+ with this new 3400+ (to better follow Intel speed grades?), but then it wouldn't make sense for them to release 90nm 3500+ if they wouldn't continue to carry them.

That or AMD mistyped the model # on the CPU's HS. Hey, stranger stuff has happened.

Back