• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Solder paste for TIM on delid?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ipsum

Has anyone attempted to solder the IHS back on? I have a reflow plate & oven. I was hoping to not break new ground.

Google is failing because most hits just come back with discussions on delidding. I also can't find anything on the manufacturing temperature limits of the CPU while off, everything comes back with the Tjunction max limit

The closest I was able to find this Intel document:

SMT Board Assembly Process Recommendations
Intel® Manufacturing Enabling Guide
March 2016

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/w...rd-assembly-process-recommendations-guide.pdf

Which covers the suggested temperature profiles for board assembly. I can only assume that socketed CPUs have similar temp limits as the ones soldered to the board.

The plan was to delid, get everything cleaned up then apply a no clean solder paste (183C/361F Melting Point) to the die. Then reflow it, likely on the plate, with the CPU upside down.

Has anyone done it to see what the returns are?

Seems dangerous,

I'm new to these forums, but isn't the overclocker MO? Done right it should be as safe if not safer than any other TIM replacement.

Its the MO, sure... but there is a fine line between doing this right and killing the chip. Far more risky than simply replacing it with a liquid metal tim which still improve temps significantly. To me, the gains arent worth the risk in this case. Id use the liquid metal paste and call it day. :)

I done this before back in the day, My findings was that its not worth the risk and you were better off going bare die.
However chips are so thin today that it would be next to impossible to pull it off at home today.

Back