• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Speakerless Audio Output Device?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twisted4000

So I have a sound card plugged into one of my PCIe slots as well as onboard audio. The thing is, I like to use stereo mix recording a lot, but my sound card doesn't support that. My only way to use it is to switch over to the onboard. So what I have to do is have both of them enabled and plug some headphones into the green front out port of the motherboard, set those as the default speakers, turn on "Listen to This Device" for the stereo mix and have it play off of the sound card speakers in order to record and listen to what I'm recording to at the same time. It's kind of a dumb question, and what I'm looking for most likely doesn't even exist, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

Is there any device that plugs into an audio output port that doesn't have any speakers, but in a sense "turns on" the port? Just so the OS picks it up as "speakers"? It would just be nice to have something kind of inconspicuous plugged into the onboard audio port simply so I could achieve the use of the stereo mix and being able to actually hear it at the same time? Thanks.

Could you get another sound card that does support stereo mixing?

Get some extra cheap/junk headphones (you probably have a pair lying around somewhere) and just leave them permanently plugged in?

If you plug in a 3.5mm audio cable with the other end left open, does it still work? If so, you could buy a stereo 3.5mm plug or cut one off some junk cable.

Back