• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

stability problems with xeon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Asta

hey guys i recently got a xeon x5650 and a gigabyte mobo for a small project in my free time. i've build everything and at first it seems to work fine bit when i start prime 95 the pc gets a black screen after 5 minutes. everything is at stock and i've got the latest BIOS version. i wanted to build and use this rig on my second workbench but i dont know where the problem is. the temps seem to be ok at 53°C on full load. so i really dont know where the issue is.. could anyone help me or had same problems? i also cannot restart the system. when i restart the monitor shows black and it wount reboot just stay like this rill i reset it

So if you clear the CMOS it will start? Is that what you're saying?
Can you list off all your parts with some description

no, i dont need to clear the CMOS i have to shut the power off and on again. then it boots again.
parts that are in use:
CPU: Intel Xeon X5650
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P
RAM: 3x2GB Corsair 2048MB and 1600MHz
GPU: GTX 770
Cooler: Arctic Freezer13
PSU: 750W
Latest BIOS Version
Open Testbench

- - - Updated - - -

first i thought it might be the northbridge getting to hot bust everest shows it at 55°C..

How old is that power supply and what's the brand name?

the PSU is pretty new actually but it seems to be a no name PSU called CP750W Plus

It's a Combat Power made by Intertech. Hard to find a reveiw for it but I did see it carries only 25A on the two 12V rails. This makes me wonder. Do you have another PSU you could test with?

did you set the cpu and memory voltage manually through the bios? if not i would start there.

unfortunately i dont have a PSU that would be powerfull enough, just got an other 450w PSU. seems like i have to order a new one to test it.

yes i also have set the cpu and memory voltage manually but still with the same result.

What are the specs on the 450. If it's a decent PSU it shouldn't have a problem running that set up

so, the 450w PSU also does not seem to work. but i'll get a Corsair CP-9020099-EU to test with on friday. if that also does not work can i assume that my mobo is bad?

Are you using mixed RAM modules or are they the same make and model? Try bumping up the RAM voltage by .05 from stock.

the RAM modules are all the same. bumping up the RAM voltage also didnt work unfortunately.

I have GA-X58-UD3R and GA-X58-UD7. They both run the Xeons beautifully. Is your motherboard BIOS at the latest revision?

Back