• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

startup items

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pejsaboy

under the msconfig utility, i've got an item called 'dumprep 0 -k' [%systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0-k] that looks to be something installed by microsoft that has to do with error reporting. I also have one called ViewMgr [Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe] that is with the viewpoint media player. i have no idea what that is either. do i need to leave these items checked to startup at boot?

dicecca112

uncheck them it won't do anything. Viewpoint is a program that is installed with AIM. It is safe to uninstall as well from the Add/Remove Programs

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
Dumprep 0 -k is loaded at startup if you had a crash and want to send a report to MS...it should be absent from the "Startup Items" the next time you boot.

OP
P

pejsaboy

redduc900 said:
Dumprep 0 -k is loaded at startup if you had a crash and want to send a report to MS...it should be absent from the "Startup Items" the next time you boot.
hmmm, maybe it's acting up then. i don't remember the last time i had a crash, but i've seen it in the list a few times. in fact, i just checked, and it's in the list right now. i just turned on for the first time today, and there hasn't been a crash in at least a week if not longer. i dunno. i'm just going to uncheck it so that it doesn't hog my precious resources :)

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
If after unchecking it in MSConfig, it still shows up in the list of startup items... try removing the Dumprep.exe entry in the Registry. Start | Run | Type regedit, and click OK | Expand the following branch...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | Run

In the RH pane, right click the Dumprep String value and select Delete... then restart the PC.