• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Steam distributing iD games (Doom3 = $19.95)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hrmm... I'm pretty sure the discussion of downloading pirated materials is prohibited on these forums. Not meaning to be a a** about it...

Steam sucks man, really it does! POS launching with windows and all its proterction bollox.

I own HL2 of course, but I always circumvent the STEAM bollox with a few hacks.

Honestly, its the devils work.

Mathersalan said:
I wish it did come with Quake 4..I bought Quake 4 back in my Linux days on my old build in Dec 06 and somereason the Quake 4 cd 1 fails during english pack or w/e tried it on different CD rom drives..tried MagicISO everything. I still have the cdkey yall think when Steams allows Quake 4 DL and I could use the orginal CD key?

I used my old Half Life cd key and Steam accepted it just fine.

vixro said:
As of right now, you can't use your current key to activate the game over steam and then download it.

What I had to do because I experienced this same issue was to actually download the pirated DVD ISO and then use my CD key that I bought with the installation because my CD based installation was crap too. Something wrong with Disc1 when they distributed it.

It worked for the first day and went to install it on my Windows partiton it craped out during the english.zpak part...CD rom idled for about 5 then gave up I guess. :bang head wasted $20

if you like steam now wait till the community steam update going to be 10 times better!
-voice chat with more than 1 person
-new friends list
-add other games to be a shortcut in steam list
-have your own page with your info and stuff ( ie like a myspace or something :p )

i love steam ever since it came out never had 1 problem. and most problems all you do is delete clientregistry.blob

I <3 Steam.. Can't wait for the new update.

And about them using DosBox, see this quote:
Qbix said:
They are allowed to do that. Our license allows that.

Eclectic said:
Do you still have to pay for it aswell? If its just a buddy list your after, why not use xfire? Asd for VOIP. Ventrilo FTW
You've never had to pay for Steam. :beer:

X-Fire is horrible, I have always hated it.

Ventrillo is good for when you are in a game, but the VOIP they are adding (or should I say extending) will be for your friends list, which I think will be very handy to talk to the people that don't have (and I may not WANT to have) my vent IP.

Steam is great, the idea is great, and it's constantly being patched and updated. The day it was released to the public out of the beta stage I had my account and have kept it ever since. I am completely happy with my 4 digit steamid mixed with tons of games.

If I could directly buy stock in steam and not the company, I would.

vixro said:
If I could directly buy stock in steam and not the company, I would.

You wouldn't want to buy Valves stock? (note, I am not a stock analyst, I have no idea if they would be a good buy, or if they are even publicly traded)

I love Steam too...I already ruined my Counter Strike 1.6, DOD 1.6 disk along rolling over my Half Life 2 disk with my chair if it was not for steam I would never be able to install the games rather than buying it agaiN!

It would be cool if you could trade games around in Steam, get bored of a game.. trade someone for another. But that would defeat the purpose of people being able to buy games through it :D

hUMANbEATbOX said:
I <3 Steam.. Can't wait for the new update.

And about them using DosBox, see this quote:

Next time you should quote the entire post. Seems to be undetermined if they can do this or not without at least crediting DOSBOX. But still....that is messed up, especially since the authors had no word of this at all.

They are allowed to do that. Our license allows that.

However it seems that they removed COPYING and other files which aren't meant to be removed.

SteveLord said:
Next time you should quote the entire post. Seems to be undetermined if they can do this or not without at least crediting DOSBOX. But still....that is messed up, especially since the authors had no word of this at all.
I didn't put the whole post because the second part of it was refuted by someone else further on down the thread, and I didn't want to have to post that as well.

MiniMax said:
3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it, under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:

a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,

b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,

c) Accompany it with the information you received as to the offer to distribute corresponding source code. (This alternative is allowed only for noncommercial distribution and only if you received the program in object code or executable form with such an offer, in accord with Subsection b above.)

The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work for making modifications to it. For an executable work, complete source code means all the source code for all modules it contains, plus any associated interface definition files, plus the scripts used to control compilation and installation of the executable. However, as a special exception, the source code distributed need not include anything that is normally distributed (in either source or binary form) with the major components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the operating system on which the executable runs, unless that component itself accompanies the executable.

Now, I'm not sure if what Valve has done is completely compliant with this, but I am pretty confident that both their lawyers and id's lawyers gave this a full inspection before anything started shipping.

SteveLord said:
Yeah I dunno...even if they can get away with it, that still kinda stinks.
Why does it stink? Valve/Id are selling licenses for their games, not the actual DOSBox. If anything it legitimizes DOSBox, it isn't just for pirates/people with a shoebox full of old games, and it is providing a vehicle to sell these old games to us all over again. If they didn't want people using their code in this fashion, they would not have designed their TOS this way.

Apparently valve/id removed source code, which is stated in DosBox's tos not to be done. They also removed all credit, and anything with the dev's names.

Well if that is the case, then that is bad. :confused:

Especially when it is unnecessary. They did leave the DOSBox screen at load tho? Odd.

I haven't had time to dig thru the threads linked in there from steampowered forums, but has there been any comment from Valve yet about all of this?

Back