• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Still on time for RX Vega april 18th? I'm itching to see its performance!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
they better get this thing released. at this rate volta will almost be out. what are they doing over there?

they better get this thing released. at this rate volta will almost be out. what are they doing over there?

They are waiting for the drivers to mature to bring out it's full performance. Give it 3-5 years...

Looks like it will be coming out in June, 3 models from the press conference yesterday.
Sadly I've lived the hype train for a long time now with AMD they talk it up reaallly high then it falls short for performance on what it delivers. Wait and see but I do like my AMD cards for what ever reason.

So far what I am seeing is Pascal vs Vega, when in reality it will be Volta vs Vega.

Those Volta chips will probably dominate the enterprise just like Pascal and Maxwell before it. It is still to early to see what the consumer market will look like.

So far what I am seeing is Pascal vs Vega, when in reality it will be Volta vs Vega.

Those Volta chips will probably dominate the enterprise just like Pascal and Maxwell before it. It is still to early to see what the consumer market will look like.

Looks like it.

Unless they can pull some amazing numbers over the existing Nvidia cards, I don't see how they will compete.
The 1080 launched just under a year ago. You better be able to stomp it for less money.

It will be volta v vega when volta comes out in a few months. Until then, its vega v pascal. Makes sense.

i sincerely hope vega flagship is within 10% of 1080ti. I dont think it will beat it. Another price: performance crown though im sure.

Last edited:
So we are now looking at Q3 for 'Gaming' cards....... I would imagine that pushes it very close to the next full Nvidia release.

Makes buying a 'just good enough' AMD card very hard when an Nvidia release is just around the corner.

Nvidia is lowering prices to take more clients before AMD premiere = less will buy AMD when they already spent money on Nvidia ( even though some cards are already old ).
Nvidia also has no final product and they aren't sure what to expect from AMD right now but will probably release new generation earlier than expected ( I'm not expecting it before end of this year ).
AMD is again late with their products and I expect to see paper premiere on Computex in 2-3 weeks, then 2-3 weeks till we see cards in stores and maybe 4-5 weeks more for some models which won't be available in the day of premiere.
AMD in all available leaks ( for some reason the same websites all the time but with Ryzen they were not far from true ) is closer to GTX1080 than GTX1080Ti while rumours say that their single GPU target is 1080Ti. Hard to say what is true but we will find out in couple of days.
I expect that AMD will be beaten by Nvidia about 3 months after AMD top GPU premiere. Then Nvidia will release their top GPU but will delay all lower chips like they did with nearly every gen in the past 10 years.

At the end most users won't need these top GPUs. Most users won't use 4K monitors for next 10 years. Most users will wait for something in best performance/price for 1080p. Current lower graphics cards are in ridiculous prices. Bad for gaming but still expensive. Good will be something like GTX1060 6GB but in $150 range. In Poland this card costs $300 and it's actual reasonable minimum for new games at higher graphics details and 1080p.

would nvidia launch their new chips early if they didn't have anything to worry about, doubt it.
would people complain about high prices of low end nvidia cards, but thinking it's great if nvidia will lower prices b/c of AMD competition, just to buy another nvidia instead of a comparable AMD card just to complain about high nvidia prices later on...absolutely.

You don't have additional taxes and duties so sometimes hardware price is 30% lower than in EU. I just sold RX480 for $250 and I ordered GTX1080 HOF for $525, typical price in Poland for this card is $780. I don't know if it was mistake or not but it should arrive tomorrow ( just not sure if where I wanted as I put my work address on the order and I'm off tomorrow ... and I don't know if I'm able to change it now :bang head )

btw my purchase choices are usually far from reasonable and I always complain at too high prices but I still buy something overpriced ... nvidia prices are just ridiculous and they are bumping them each generation, they even "cheated" users when they had problems with production and rebranded whole GTX600 line ... on the other hand AMD always adjusts prices to comparable nvidia products

That's an incredible deal on the 1080 HOF. That's barely over ($26) what I paid for my 1070 HOF. It's below what we can get it for. Nice score! We're seeing keyboards and such from them now, so I'm hoping they'll be a bigger presence (lower prices?) in the future.

edit: The HOF Limited Edition BIOS is an easy upgrade. It raises base and boost clocks. I got mine from their website.

Last edited:
Volta chip is ridiculously huge. Going to need two pea sized dabs of thermal paste to cover all of that!

Vega early benches aren't super exciting, but you never know what information is true or fabricated until the day of release. Anybody can post graphs and forge a gpu-Z info.

Then there was the early i7 skylake samples that couldn't get over 3.4 ghz OVERCLOCKED and came stock at 2.2 ghz, so it could be one of those engineering samples with less than stellar performance.

That's an incredible deal on the 1080 HOF. That's barely over ($26) what I paid for my 1070 HOF. It's below what we can get it for. Nice score! We're seeing keyboards and such from them now, so I'm hoping they'll be a bigger presence (lower prices?) in the future.

edit: The HOF Limited Edition BIOS is an easy upgrade. It raises base and boost clocks. I got mine from their website.

Can't find any BIOS in download section. Even driver download is redirecting to nvidia website. Can download only OC soft.
Btw. GTX1080 which I ordered is KFA2 ( GALAX EU brand ) but the same is on KFA2 and GALAX websites

i always drool over the prices you guys get (even though the us border is only 4-5 hours away) the cheepest 580 I can quickly find is 329 + 15% tax + 10$ shipping ( and would take a week to get here 3002.403464 miles away ) . If I wanted one today local shop would be 369 +15% . Don't even get me started on wishing for a micro center

Last edited:
Can't find any BIOS in download section. Even driver download is redirecting to nvidia website. Can download only OC soft.
Btw. GTX1080 which I ordered is KFA2 ( GALAX EU brand ) but the same is on KFA2 and GALAX websites

The 1080 HOF LE should be around here somewhere, but I don't speak French. https://www.touslesdrivers.com/index.php?v_page=23&v_code=51090 I'll poke around my computer and see if I can find it. They had BIOS for download to deal with a memory issue. I can't seem to find them now. Hmmm...

Last edited:
Well now, this doesn't sound too good..
http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-vega-11-mainstream-gpus-late-2017-launch/

AMD might be releasing the Radeon RX Vega graphics cards for enthusiast gamers in Q3 2017, but there’s no word on the mainstream cards. A source over at PCGameshardware has revealed that Radeon RX Vega based on mainstream GPUs won’t see the light of day till late 2017 or early 2018.

Seems abit weird to me that the enthusiast will release long before the mainstream. I would think the enthusiast would release after the mainstream, because of lower yields and/or more tweaking to improve upon it. Are they trying to keep prices high till 2018?

Back