• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Super Glue for Heat Sinks...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

quegyboe

Anyone know if super glueing a heat sink onto a video card will damage the chip or not? I have a GeForce2 MX and I want to use good old fashion Super Glue to mount a heat sink and I don't wanna screw up the GeForce2 chip...anyone?

I once superglued a heatsink on a 486 in a minitower. About 10 months later I opened the case for something and found the heatsink in the bottom of the case... machine still ran great though :)

I have heard of people using thermal goop and superglue. Put the thermal goo in the middle and just dab some superglue on the 4 corners of the processor to hold the heatsink on

Cullen

Cullen's idea is great! However, superglue does have a tendency to liquify if the temp. is too hot. How about domestic-use epoxy at the corners and thermal paste at the center? Perhaps contact adhesive? I once installed old pentium heatsinks on my HDD and the sheer viscosity/'goopiness' of the thermal paste managed to hold all four of the pentium heatsinks on my HDD- on a vertical plane! After months in use, there was no sign of the pentium heatsinks sliding down from the HDD.

Cullen's idea is great! However, superglue does have a tendency to liquify if the temp. is too hot. How about domestic-use epoxy at the corners and thermal paste at the center? Perhaps contact adhesive? I once installed old pentium heatsinks on my HDD and the sheer viscosity/'goopiness' of the thermal paste managed to hold all four of the pentium heatsinks on my HDD- on a vertical plane! After months in use, there was no sign of the pentium heatsinks sliding down from the HDD.

sleddog (Dec 25, 2000 06:28 p.m.):
I once superglued a heatsink on a 486 in a minitower. About 10 months later I opened the case for something and found the heatsink in the bottom of the case... machine still ran great though :)

I wouldn't recomend running without a heatsink for a modern CPU/GPU, not unless you wanna kill it quick!

Thanks for the advice people, that's why I come here! =] Also, any of you guys know about an app called CPUCool? The app displays 3 temps in my machine, one is always arounf 15 degree's, one is around 32 degrees, and the last is always around 70 degrees! Anyone know what they might be? I know the 32 is my CPU but I can't figure the others out. My Vid card is always quite cool so the 72 isn't my video, anyone know?

Yes i have heard of CPUCOOL...i use it all the time when i burn in for temp readings. Temp 1 is your mainboard...temp2 is your cpu and i don't have a temp3 so i dunno what that is. my temps are...25...26.
U can also use it to change your FSB.

Back