• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sweet Idea

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr

I have a really really good idea. I have a Zalman CNPS 7000CU and it has a 92MM fan which does about 40CFM. In my mind, that isn't enough. I would wondering if I could get a high performance 92MM fan, could I mount it on the cpu cooler and it will be flush? I wanted to tear out the motor and some how mount a different 92MM fan on it. Do you think it will work, or just done bother. I was thinking of this idea because a heatwave just hit and I dont have AC (I know, sucks) It gets about 86-89 in my room and my processor idles about 34-35C. I know these temps arn't outragous, but, I would love to have a beafier CPU cooler, but still keep the Zalman. Thanks for the advice!

It is relatively simple to replace the fan on the Zalman with a higher output one, but that mod alone won't make a huge difference.
Before you "rip out" the stock fan try filling in the two large gaps in the fins where the retainer clip passes through.
I used closed cell foam 3/8" thick and just cut it to shape and wedged it in place.
This will force the air to flow over the fins instead of taking the easy way out of the sink ( air is very clever and lazy and will cut corners where possible) and your temp reduction will be equal to or better than the higher output fan.
Plus, you don't have to disturb the heatsink to do this.

I just did the mod but..... I put a smaller fan on it..... VANTEC TORNADO! I had 3 of these things laying around and I zip tied this beast to the heatsink (it is really secure, cant movie it) My temps are about 5C cooler than before since this heat wave just hit. My processor would idle at around 35-36, now its 29-30C. I think this was a HUGE sucess and will post pics once I get a hold of my friends Digital Camera.

Back