• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

T-Bred A's and Palomino steppings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MoneyXP

Registered
Hey, I'm planning on upgrading my system soon, and I just have a couple of questions about cpu's. I'm looking at getting a low speed athlon xp (1600+-1900+) and o/c'ing it to 166 FSB. I know that agoia, aroia and other steppings are good overclockers as far as palomino's go. If I were to get a T-Bred A, should I expect better o/c'ing than those steppings or worse. Basically I'm wondering if any old stepping of a T-Bred A will be better than a good stepping of a palomino?

My next question that just came to my mind: I have read in a couple places that T-Bred A's and B's all come with the multiplier unlocked. Is this true, or did I misunderstand what I read?

And my last question is: I see that newegg.com has 1900+ AGOIA stepping cpu's. With the 1900+'s higher multiplier, would I still be able to get a 166 FSB without unlocking the cpu?

Thanks

GameVE has Palomino XP1600+ AGOIA 0226 (code "Z" per telephone call)
$53.95 shipped. These might go 166MHz fsb according to posts in these threads.

https://www.gameve.com/store/gameve_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=61

Newegg has Thoroughbred XP1700+ $75. shipped. They might not get you to 166MHz fsb but unlocking an XP2200+ is a simple matter of connecting 1 bridge .

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=19-103-351&DEPA=1

As to your last question IMO the AGOIA 0213 "Y" XP1600+'s are the fastest Palominos around so I can't see paying more for a higher marked cpu.

Good luck with your new computer.

Harvey

yes you def will be able to do 166mhz because all Tbreds come factory unlocked so go for it.....

actually the best palomino stepping is AROIA Y 0220 but that can be debated on another day

Back