• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Techs over 156w

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Would your freezer benefit from using the same principles as the Evaporative Water Cooling that seems to be getting rave reviews?

The article is on overclockers.com front page.

This freezer must have the added benefit of keeping things quiet as well...

Very nice set up and your right the price is not to bad, especially if one can find a used one.

Now of course the inevitable question. Have you tried to use pelts in addition to the freezer water? Just curious if you can get that CPU even cooler. :)

I took some pics and just updated my site so it is current with what I am running now. Also you may want to check out the section on my water cooled case as it consists of all the same Swiftech stuff you just orderd, might get a few ideas from it.

As for the pelts the freezer I have will not deal with enough heat for that but it does just fine for the cpu. I am using an older AXHA cpu here and at room temp it will not even post anything over 1350 so I think 1584 is not to shaby considering what I am working with here :)

I have another question here which nobody seems to have mentioned:
What about clamping pressure between waterblock, pelt and coldplate?
If thats too low, then you arent using the full potential of the pelt even if you supply sufficient power.
From what I read in an article at oc.com, you need around 3-5 times more pressure there, than what you can exert on the cpu core.
Does this make any sense?

You need a bunch of clamping pressure, about 150 PSI, for optimum results. Danger Den and Swiftech make blocks with bolt on cold plates to facilitate this.

For 24 volt TECs, note that the sweet spot is about 21 volts. Any PSU you consider should be capable of adjustment to this level.

ken257 (Apr 23, 2001 07:10 p.m.):
I took some pics and just updated my site so it is current with what I am running now. Also you may want to check out the section on my water cooled case as it consists of all the same Swiftech stuff you just orderd, might get a few ideas from it.

Wow - what a great set-up. Which waterblock do you use? And did you have to insulate the CPU with foam?

Yo

The waterblock is a simple home made cross drilled 50mm square by 3/4 inch thick.

I had do do a lot of waterproofing for this system.
1-socket filled with silicone/mineral spirits mix and closed cell foam pad
2-front and back of mobo painted with silicone/mineral spirits mix
3-Cloased cell foam weatherstriping (sticky 1 side) on sides and top of waterblock
4-Cloased cell foam around socket on mobo
5-Closed cell foam on back of mobo
6-Socket pin holes filled with dielectric grease
7- Top of cpu (except for core) painted with silicone/mineral spirits mix, cpu unlocked with defroster kit. Core has Artic Silver
8-After cpu is in socket put a heavy bead of dielectric grease around the perimeter of the cpu. this makes a seal between the cpu and waterblock to keep air out. I don't like foam for this because the surface of amd's are not flat and I don't want anything offering resistance to the clamping preasure.
9- Acrilic plate with foam pad underneath to clamp down waterblock. Bolts through mobo with springs and thumbscrews.
10-Waterlines need insulation

I am working on a Socket A condensation guide an it should be on my site in about a week or so, with pics and step by step through the whole proccedure.

Why don't you just use 2 cheap 250 watt at ps's and run them in parallel to give you 24 volts @ 10 amps? Guide on how to do it is over @ www.procooling.com. I'm sure most of you have some old extra ps's laying around, I know I do. I will be using this setup on my 172 watt pelt as soon as my new block comes in. The one I got now just has to go... ;)

Beauty of wiring the ps together is that you can add as many as you like, you could have 4 250 watt ps wired in series giving you a total of 1000 watts.. ;) or how about 4 in parallel giving you 40 amps? lol Now, if you could mix and match, which can probably be done somehow, you could have a 500 watt 20 amp PS..

now just where are you going to fit those in you case? LOL

PharmEcis

PharmEcis (Apr 23, 2001 11:49 p.m.):
Why don't you just use 2 cheap 250 watt at ps's and run them in parallel to give you 24 volts @ 10 amps?

Snip=========================================

For my taste, it's worth it to spend the bucks on a big Astron PSU with voltage meters and adjustment on the front panel. It's more versatile and easy to tune the pelts to their sweet spot. Perhaps my personal perspective is a little more R&D oriented.

i hate to ask this, but now i had too!! if i run two 85W or two 152W. how may volt and amp i need for my psu?? just give some approximation on it!! need some idea how big PSU i needed for this cooling system! :)

24 volt RV battery chargers are usually 15-20 amp and work pretty well for the big TEC's , they are 100$usd or more though :(

Back