• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TH7-II Question, regarding upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jimingle10

Hi fellas, long time since i've been on the board. You guys help me put together my whole system about 5 years ago and I had a question on upgrading.

Currently im running a 1.8ghz 400mhz fsb P4 on an abit th7-ii mobo.

my question is, will this motherboard support a 533mhz fsb chip?

if so, are there any known problems?

thanks - jim

I'm looking at your manual (4Mb) and it looks like the board will run a 133fsb cpu (pages 29, 30, 31). You will have to change to RDRAM bus frequency from Auto/400 to 300 and you'll need to adjust the AGPCLK/CPUCLK.

If you install a 533fsb northwood, make sure the voltage drops to 1.50v-1.53v. The willamette (I'm assuming that's your current chip) default vcore is 1.75v and that will kill a northwood.

The highest speed cpu you could install would be a 3.06GHz 533fsb northwood, but your mobo won't support the hyperthreading. I doubt a 533fsb prescott core cpu would work at all.

nope, currently i have the 1.8a northwood (400mhz fsb)

when i purchased this mobo, 533mhz technology wasnt around yet so I wanted to make sure that the chip would be compatable.

when you say that I'll need to adjust the agp/cpu clock.....the mobo has a "Fixed 66/100" setting (i think those are the numbers) so no matter what you bump the fsb to the agp remains the same.

also, with the HT technology not supported is this something really worth doing? The 2.8ghz chip can be found on ebay for less than 100$ (around 80$ shipped i think).

You're right, the 2.8 would probably be more cost effective than a 3.06 HT. Those are still pretty expensive from what I've seen.

Have you tried overclocking your 1.8A to 2.4 (133fsb). From what I have read, those are supposed to be great overclockers. (I just noticed your sig, you're already at 2.2).

when you say that I'll need to adjust the agp/cpu clock.....the mobo has a "Fixed 66/100" setting (i think those are the numbers) so no matter what you bump the fsb to the agp remains the same.
I didn't see that option while quickly reading the manual. I just know you can't leave it Auto. lol

At first, I'd advice you to take a look at the following article:
http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.aspx?articleid=44&catid=5
It seems that unless if you want to run your RDRAM at 3x mode (800MHz) instead of 4x mode (1066MHz) the only problem with running a 533FSB CPU on the TH7-II would be the fact that the DRCG's (memory clock generators) of the TH7-II aren't capable of 533MHz. Maybe later revisions of the TH7-II do have 533MHz capable DRCG's though, so you might want to look that up first too. Take a close look at the DRCG's used on your mobo and look for their specifications on the website of the manufaturer that made them, I'd say. If it says there, that your DRCG's are 533FSB rated, then you don't need to replace them in order to be able to let your mobo run the RDRAM at PC1066 RDRAM speeds. If it says that you have the 400FSB rated ones, then either accept having to run your RDRAM at 3x mode (800MHz) or consider replacing the DRCG's with 533FSB rated ones in order to be able to run your RDRAM at 4x mode (1066MHz). What kind of RDRAM do you have, btw? In case if you have PC800-40 RIMM's, they almost certainly are capable of doing PC1066 speeds too (overclocked, and without the need of higher-than-default Vrimm), and also many PC800-45 RIMM's (especially those from Samsung) are well capable of running at PC1066 speed. In case if they don't, then try and get there by booting the first time at 3x mode and if that works trying 4x during the second time and/or also by turning off ECC in case if your RIMM's support it and/or by turning off RDRAM Turbo Mode and/or increasing the Vrimm. More info on running PC800 RIMM's at PC1066 speeds is available at: http://www.cifi.com/computing/p4teoverclock.html
About the TH7-II's capability to run 533FSB CPU's itsself: if you'd ask me, it will run any 533FSB CPU's provided that it's Northwood B based and not Prescott based. The Prescotts most likely can't run on them, though at the bottom at this reply I will say something about a solution of which there IS a chance that it might fix that. But when it's about running 533FSB Northwood B's on "400FSB only" motherboards: I and many other people have been done that for a long time on a similar RDRAM mobo, the P4T-E, rock stable and without any problems (as you can see on http://www.cifi.com/computing/p4teoverclock.html too by the way). Most likely the TH7-II can also even run the Northwood B based 533FSB Mobile Pentiums 4 (not to confuse with the Socket 479 Pentium M CPU's!!!) and do that without any problems. Many people have been running those on other (RDRAM) desktop mobos from that area too, like for example the P4T-E or P4T533-C. An example of someone who ran a Mobile P4 on a desktop mobo (in this case a Mobile P4 2.8EG ES on an Abit AI7 mobo) that I found during a quick search on Google: http://holicho.lib.net/pi3355/pi3355.htm (look at rank #29). A nice extra feature of the Mobile Pentiums 4 can be that they have Speed Stepping technology, allowing you to adjust their multiplier under Windows by using software like Eist. ALL Mobile P4's support that feature, not only the ES'es (Engineering Samples). Also, they have been sold up to 3.2GHz versus up to "only" 3.06GHz for their desktop P4 counterparts: http://www.intel.com/products/processor/mobilepentium4/index.htm . Another nice thing can be that in case if you want to overclock them, a voltmod much of the time isn't needed since they were made for running at lower default voltages than the desktop P4's need / desktop motherboards can supply by default. If you want to overclock a desktop P4, then you might going to need to update your BIOS to one of the latest that for as far as I know do allow the Vcore to be increased to the max. And in case if you might to go more extreme then you'd want to consider doing the "pin mod" or "wire trick" (example: http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=278&redirect=yes) or even a Vcore mod if you can find a guide for it somewhere. I don't have much time left to fill in this reply, but I'm sure that you yourself know how to Google too. Put in "TH7-II Vcore mod" and/or "TH7-II Vmod" or something, right. Ok, back about running a 533FSB Prescott on the TH7-II; the following. A company called PowerLeap sells a CPU/adapter combo that allow the usage of 533FSB Prescotts on SOME "Northwood only" motherboards. You can see it on the following webpage: http://www.powerleap.com/PL-P4P.jsp For a compatibility check, you can do that on the following page: http://www.powerleap.com/SystemSearch.html. The reason why the TH7-II isn't being mentioned as being compatible with the PL-P4P might be the fact that it doesn't officially support 533FSB. It DOES work on the Asus P4T533-C (which does have official 533FSB support) for example, though. So if the lack of 533FSB support only would be the reason why PowerLeap doesn't mention the TH7-II as being compatible, that you can then of course solve that by replacing the DRCG's with 533MHz capable ones. About if the TH7-II BIOS contains the microcode needed for the Prescotts: I personally have strong doubts that the microcodes for the 533FSB Prescotts are different from that of the 533FSB Northwoods B. I find it very unlikely namely that in case if the 533FSB Prescotts microcodes differ from those of the 533FSB Northwoods B, the P4T533-C BIOS DOES have 533FSB Prescott microcode. I guess the only way to find out would be trying it out in the practice. However, the PL-P4P is an (over)expensive solution as you can see on the PowerLeap site. Partly because the adapter isn't being sold seperate from a CPU. It's interesting only in case if you're a real TH7-II enthousiast willing to take the chance and pay that much money for a CPU that MIGHT work but also might not. Yet if it WILL work, then it'd probably be one of the best possible CPU's for the TH7-II(?) Especially the PL-P4P that comes with the 3.2GHz Prescott Pentium 4 included. I hope that my information will be useful to you and I wish you much success with your upgrade!

Last edited:
ok thanks for the reply but it was a little bit too off subject i think.....i have a 1.8a northwood. my ram is samsung pc800 non-ecc. im looking at 2.8bghz northwood chip.....only problem is the ram from what i read?

I think if you set the ram bus to 300 then raise the fsb to 133, the ram bus will be back close to 400. I'm not real sure how the math works on those rdram boards though.

BTW, what's your PCI bus running with your fsb in the 120's?

I have personally ran a 2.66 533 bus Northwood on a TH7-II (overclocked to 3 gig). The 2.8 533 Northwood should work the same. Just make sure you don't buy a 2.8 533 Prescott, because that won't work. If the CPU has 512k cache, then it's a Northwood.

Like the others said, you have to manually set the FSB to 533 and the RDRAM to 300 (also leave the PCI/AGP locked to 33/66). That will give you default speed. Of course, you should be able to O/C a little too. Certainly 3 gig is well within reach.

batboy said:
I have personally ran a 2.66 533 bus Northwood on a TH7-II (overclocked to 3 gig). The 2.8 533 Northwood should work the same. Just make sure you don't buy a 2.8 533 Prescott, because that won't work. If the CPU has 512k cache, then it's a Northwood.

Like the others said, you have to manually set the FSB to 533 and the RDRAM to 300 (also leave the PCI/AGP locked to 33/66). That will give you default speed. Of course, you should be able to O/C a little too. Certainly 3 gig is well within reach.

I'm going to concur with Batboy here, too. (I think he and I are the Forum experts on the TH711 board.)

I have managed to get a 1.8A to run just fine at 133/533, which would be 2.4. I also got mine to run at 150, running some decent memory, when set at the 300 setting. (300 times 133, gives you 399, which is within spec for PC800 RDRAM.) My memory worked up to 155, if memory (brain) serves me. You can also use PC1066 RDRAM, as long as you keep a couple of RD800 sticks around, and run them manually at the 400 setting, and overclock to 133 FSB.

What I'm suggesting, is see what your memory limits are, before throwing more money at the situation.

steve

Back