• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TH7II [U]what's wrong?[/U]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arch5

I got my p4 1.8A in the other day and since Amir sent me the version 38 bios I was able to get up and running.

Well, walking is more like it. I have a few problems. Let me know if I'm all alone with them.

1. When I try to enter the bios (DEL key) It sometimes locks up and what I see on screen is all black with a blue bar near the bottom. So I have to re-boot and try again. If I didn't want to get into the bios I wouldnt have a problem booting.

2. Related to bios problem. When I get into the bios and I go to the PC Health Status section it locks up. Sometimes I see all the settings and sometimes I see just the first several. It doesn't immediately lock up though. If I enter and exit that section really fast it won't lock up. But if I stay in too long I have to reboot.

3. I have noticed that the CPU will not let itself get to 40*C. Is that right? It seems like it should be able to go higher. I know it's doing this because I watch my CPU temps as I tried to benchmark my Processor.

4. Vcore problem: I increased my vcore to 1.55 but in SAndra and Hardware Dr. It is showing my vcore to be 1.46.

5. Problem with RAID. I have 4 30GB IBM 75gxpDeskstars in a RAID 0+1 setup. I have seen several people with the same problem. I thought something was wrong with my VP6 but I'm still having the same problem. I don't Have HDTach but in SANDRA my scores are always around 27000 which is around what a single 30GIG 7200rpm drive scores with no raid. I should be scoring around 36000.

6. There's no website for the TH7II, that means I can't find the latest bios with the HPT bios modded into it. I've downloaded the latest HPT bios I just don't know how to flash it by itself.

OK, here's my setup:
1. TH7II-Raid
2. P4 1.8A (NW) w'Intel box HSF
3. 512mb pc800 Samsung RDRAM w'ECC
4. (4) 30GB IBM 75gxp deskstars in RAID 0+1
5. VisionTek GF3 ti500
6. Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
7. 3Com NIC
8. DVD
9. CDRW
10. FDD
11. Enermax 450W psu
12. Housed in a Chenbro NET server case. My ambient temps are around 25*C

I think that the possible culprits are:
1. I have a bad PSU, (I now think that this is most likely the prob)
2. I have a bad CPU, (maybe but since it was overclocking pretty well at 1.46v I don't think it's as likely)
3. I have a bad HD, ( Less likely because I downloaded IBM's disk checking programs and they came up with no problems)
4. The bios for the Norhtwoods is not ready.

I have overclocked to 2.2Ghz so far but since my temps start to get to 40*C that's where my limit is now. Thats with stock HSF.

I sure hope someone can help. Thanks.

my th7 raid board does the same thing sometimes, but i just restart it and it works fine

Yours has all the same symptoms? Even in the Bios?
So you're saying it has nothing to do with the new Bios for the Northwoods?

I've had the computer lock up once when I was fooling around in the PC Health Status section of the BIOS too. I installed Hardware Doctor (which is on the provided CD) and just use that program within Windows instead. It's a known quirk with the TH7-II that the CPU core voltage always reads lower than what it's actually set at. If the thermal throttling is kicking in at only 40 degrees, then maybe you have the adjustments or limits set too low in the BIOS. Maybe try resetting the BIOS back to the default settings and starting over. I haven't played with the RAID on my TH7-II yet, so I can't help you there. I'll be tweaking my system lots more this coming weekend. Haven't done much with it yet (been on the road for 3 days). So far, I've only been able to successfully reach 2.2 gig with my 2.0a Northwood. I'm hoping they will release another new BIOS soon that will address some of these bugs.

Thanks for the replies,
I just reflashed my bios with the beta th7h_77.bin version and I still noticed the lockup in the pc health section and I also had another black screen with the blue line lock-up when I tried restarting and entering bios.

HMMM.

Batboy,
I havent seen a place to change the thermal throttle but I'll look again.

Plus, can you or anyone elso give me some quick tips on overclocking the P4 with RDRAM in particular the first page on the SoftMenu III setup. I am not quite sure what the settings need to be at for stability issues. Like the RAM bus frequency or the differential current.

Thanks

The issue you describe about when trying to enter the bios and recieving a BLANK screen with a blue bar at the bootom is VERY COMMON...

Just press the RESET button on your P.C , it sometimes take 3 to 5 goes before you can access the Bios..

I have had this issue with the Official 38exe Bios and 2 Beta bios,s.

The TH7 II is also blessed with the COLD BOOT issue!! If you are using high voltages with your O/C on the first " COLD BOOT" you will usually get to windows destop and experiance either a BSOD or Blank screen, just hit reset and it will boot into windows as normal.

Back