• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED The Big Photography Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
For anyone on crop, keep an eye out for the Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens for $300.

There's also a new Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM Lens for about $1200. Hopefully they'll be tack sharp to make up for the slower speed...

I saw that pop up yesterday. The EF-S model looks like a nice, affordable wide angle lens. Here's one of many blog posts with descriptions. Here's the link to B&H with full specs.

What I like about that 10-18 mm is the 7-bladed diaphragm, which should lead to 14-pointed sunstars (instead of boring 6-points with the 10-22mm USM). Unfortunately it has a smaller aperture than the latter...but IS sort-of makes up for that, and nobody's shooting thin DoF at that focal length anyway. In short - a reasonably priced, actually feasible wide angle landscape/architecture lens for me down the road. :D

I like the L, but I liked the 16-35mm f/2.8 L (no IS) too. Both of them are far beyond my budget for the foreseeable future.

With the amount of barrel distortion you deal with once you start getting into those sizes I will probably not even bother with them, I kinda perfer the Primes when it comes to that size. There is so much chromatic abborattion that happens at on the telephotos even the L's that I moving to primes on just about everything now.

btw Image Stacking or pan stacking with UW and Fisheye lenses is quite a strange process. I find I have to go through the chop the images up into 6th before I can get them to stitch and distort properly on setup. Rather than having to go back and spend the time puppet warping stuff back into place.

I Might call canon later and have them send me an eval version to play with though. Since I have a canon Pro Contract.

Though I have to admit 2.8 is probably a more useable aperture at 16-35mm. My 24mm 1.4f is nice for low light indoors. Like at concerts or parties. but not so much in strong lighting.

Oh, I'm not anticipating any great wonders from a $300 lens, but it's a focal length range I'd like to possess and paying double that for the 10-22 USM isn't in the cards. As it is, $300 is more than I have, but it's a lot closer than $600!

It's another reason I have the nifty fifty instead of the 50mm f/1.4 (or the new Sigma 50 f/1.4 Art ...mmmmm). My photography isn't good enough to get paid for, so this isn't something I plan on investing L-lens money into. At least not at this juncture.

Yeah, I don't Imagine there is much use in your review work for wide focal range either. Since at distances you work most of the stuff won't be in focus range anyways.

I am OCD about my pictures. I think the best way I have heard it put when it comes to pro equiptment vs consumer is "Pro equipment doesn't guarantee a better shot. What it does is make it easier, and in the hands of someone that knows what their doing saves them time in getting the desired effect. That is where it pays for itself"

Though one of the reasons I love L glass is the coatings on the elements. They are much easier to keep clean, and to clean, and much less likely to scratch. If your crazy enough (like me) to shoot with no filters to avoid additional glass distortion.

Heh, I'm crazy too then. I pulled the filter off my 18-135 and it was the only one to have a filter to begin with. I'll put it back on if I use it at the beach; other than that, I'm filterless. While any degradation is nearly invisible, why take the chance at any?

You're sure talking like you've got a nice kit (and, by extension, a portfolio) sitting over there; let's see some of your work!

I am at work right now making myself hate my life by writing code.

But I have a bunch of stuff up on my deviant art account Tsunamijuan.deviantart.com , The newest stuff is some of the best. Since I now have a color calibrated Monitor for mastering colors. I don't Think I put up final print versions of the gallery I have hanging right now.

Looks great, thanks for sharing! Very impressive macro (micro, really) work.

I'll post my macro setup soon, As I am in the middle of adding more stabelization and remote Focus stacking abilities too it.Also moving to using Geared/cinema Style focusing setup. I already Use Cinema Rails for stability.

Nice glass! Please share your feelings of the variable ND filter. I keep reading mixed reviews how some have color tints, vignetting on wider lenses, etc... Makes me want to just go with non-variable models.

I think I've used this enough now to form a decent opinion. Color tint doesn't seem to be an issue with this model, I'd say it's pretty darn neutral. Vignetting is also a non issue on my 16-35, from f/8 up anyway. I really haven't had a reason to use this combo at wider apertures at this point. X-banding does become an issue though, and it's really kind of a funny thing. At what point it starts, and how noticeable it is depends on aperture, ambient light, how many stops you're using, and the overall finished exposure. My experience so far is that it becomes fairly noticeable at 6 stops, and an outright problem at 7. Keep in mind that the only thing I'm using it for is water at the moment, and I'm still shooting mainly blue hours or very overcast days. Next week I'll likely be trying it in less than optimal lighting, as I'm limited on time and a lot of driving/hiking will be involved.

All that being said, I will probably switch to a square filter system at some point, but for right now I'm enjoying the space and weight savings of the variable. I do wish I had a couple more useable stops though.

Heh, I was tasked with photographing a golf tournament Friday (followed by a fun outing to an airshow Saturday; haven't even had time to edit those photos yet). I posted the photos and the first thing someone said to me: "Your camera takes good pictures."

...now I know in a very small way how photojournalists the world over feel when amateurs ask them about their camera.

:facepalm:

Got a circular polarized for my birthday from my parents today. I don't like they spend this much (thought it was one of the cheaper $60-80 ones).

IMG_0257.jpg

That's very nice. Show them you're grateful with a nice, big print of a blue hour longish exposure on the water. :)

That's very nice. Show them you're grateful with a nice, big print of a blue hour longish exposure on the water. :)
That is certainly something I want to try now that I have this. I always send them the pictures I take, though. :)

Wow guys. I thought I was a little into photography. :p I have a rebel t2i somewhere around my house, haven't used it it nearly a year. Here is a shot from it. (Not the best, all the old ones are packed away from my move) GkeIhcF.jpg

Well, bit the (cheaper) bullet and ordered a Neewer grip plus a Vivitar LP-E6. Total: $39.48.

flash-batt-order.jpg

I've never had a gripped camera before; this is exciting. Hopefully they both work well...being cheap worries me, but for my uses it's not worth the investment for a $175 Canon grip and $40 Canon battery. I get along just fine as-is, this will just be a bonus as long as they work. :p

Had a bunch of camera stuff arrive today in addition to the Dolica tripod that I got yesterday.

AmazonBasics remote for the 70D. Works well in all modes, but you do have to be in front of the camera.
IMG_0384.jpg

Macro extension tubes, which are a lot of fun.
IMG_0394.jpg

3x ND filters: 0.6, 0.9, 1.2
IMG_0396.jpg

Random pictures I took to play with the extension tubes. I used the 18-135mm STM lens for these.

68mm of extension tubes. Ouch, my eyes, indeed.
IMG_0354.jpg

Al-oo-min-ee-um. 68mm of extension tubes.
IMG_0356.jpg

32mm of extension tubes. Picture of a S4 that has a cracked screen.
IMG_0382.jpg

Picture of the tubes attached to the lens, taken with a potato.
20140604_153223(0).jpg

Tripod? I'd need three friends and an engine block winch to pick up that camera/lens config :rofl:

Macro lenses get me excited... I'd be off photoing bugs and plants not posting on here.

(my digital camera died when some muggers tried to take my stuff in a former eastern block country... Grrr!)

Back