• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED The Big Photography Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Off to a nice start Pierre :)
Looks like an awesome place to take pictures!

Two questions:
-Are you shooting RAW?
-Do you have Photoshop?

Two questions:
-Are you shooting RAW?
-Do you have Photoshop?

I'm curious as to why those would be the first two questions you'd ask a newcomer who has stated they are just starting out. Neither is actually necessary. As a matter of fact, I spent the weekend with an old friend on a couple of shoots who doesn't use either, and takes some pretty amazing photos.

I'm curious as to why those would be the first two questions you'd ask a newcomer who has stated they are just starting out. Neither is actually necessary. As a matter of fact, I spent the weekend with an old friend on a couple of shoots who doesn't use either, and takes some pretty amazing photos.

Neither is necessary, but I was going to tailor any tips toward those answers :thup:

Two questions:
-Are you shooting RAW?
-Do you have Photoshop?

When you say raw, do you mean raw file format?

Do not photoshop, and yes, its a great place to practice, huge royal garden, only 5mins walk away.

View from above.
barokhaven_fra_luften_466x380.gif

Yes, RAW format. I would assume not since you don't use Photoshop.

Since you don't use Photoshop I would let the camera control white balance if you aren't already.

Yes, RAW format. I would assume not since you don't use Photoshop.

Since you don't use Photoshop I would let the camera control white balance if you aren't already.

Where would i go about setting that on Nikon D3100?

EDIT: Found, and is set to Auto

Last edited:
Auto should be fine most of the time, but it all really depends on the light. If you want to play with the other settings, choosing the "correct" setting is pretty simple... Look UP! If all you see is clouds, set it to cloudy. If you see blue sky, use daylight. If you see nothing but leaves, use shade, etc. That's the general rule, but don't be afraid to experiment. To be honest, I usually only use auto or daylight. The others get either too yellow or too blue for my taste.

Kudos to you, by the way. Your first day out and you've taken your camera out of auto mode (you didn't post your settings, but I cheated). I know people who've had their camera for years and never done that. :thup:

Auto should be fine most of the time, but it all really depends on the light. If you want to play with the other settings, choosing the "correct" setting is pretty simple... Look UP! If all you see is clouds, set it to cloudy. If you see blue sky, use daylight. If you see nothing but leaves, use shade, etc. That's the general rule, but don't be afraid to experiment.

Kudos to you, by the way. Your first day out and you've taken your camera out of auto mode (you didn't post your settings, but I cheated). I know people who've had their camera for years and never done that. :thup:

I was told i might aswell start in manual, and i picked up the options and what they do pretty fest, but being out today i learned a lot more about shutter speed. But as far as that goes, if the shutter speed is too fast, the camera will still tell you in manual mode, so its not rocket science, but many things to learn. For now its stuck in S mode, which i understand is Shutter Speed. I dont even know what M,A and P are or do lol. But it'll come. I go to a few car meets where there tons of camera freaks, and if all fails, im sure you guys will help me out.

When I'm outside, I find the camera does a really good job at figuring out the white level. The only time I've had to set it manually is indoors and when taking pictures of lightning or storms.

A picture from today. I believe this is a Nova, with an LS1 crate engine stuffed into it. I really wish i could have captured this in higher detail.

DSC_0021 (Large).JPG

I really wish i could have captured this in higher detail.

It'll probably take a bit of experimenting before you find the aperture settings for your lenses that yield the sharpest and most detailed results. Usually, it'll be a few stops down from wide open (wider open = lower numbers). Or a lot of stops down, in the case of my old Tokina 70-210, which only really sharpens up around f11. Experiment with aperture priority mode (A) on the camera.

However, make sure the camera is set to use its full resolution first - IIRC you'll want JPEG large to start with. Mine's always set like that, fine quality. Memory cards are cheap and huge - might as well get the most out of the camera.

I have only been in shutter mode, i still dont know what the 3 others do for me. But i guess i must try it out. I run jpeg highest res. Its downsized for the forum.

What are you guys using for downsizing and does it ruin the quality other than lessening the size?

I have only been in shutter mode, i still dont know what the 3 others do for me. But i guess i must try it out. I run jpeg highest res. Its downsized for the forum.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'm also available through gchat if you don't want to post it here.

What are you guys using for downsizing and does it ruin the quality other than lessening the size?
Downsizing = resizing? I'm not sure I understand the question. I use Lightroom to resize photos, but anything will work. GIMP is a free option that would give you access to a lot more than resizing.

I use Lightroom to resize photos, but anything will work. GIMP is a free option that would give you access to a lot more than resizing.

+1

I used GIMP for a while, and it can do a lot of what lightroom or photoshop can do. Resizing smaller generally doesn't do much to lessen quality unless you start messing with dpi. Facebook drops dpi down to 96 (from 240 or 320 usually, in my case) when it resizes your photos, and most people don't even notice. Prints are where you'll really be able to see it.

+1

I used GIMP for a while, and it can do a lot of what lightroom or photoshop can do. Resizing smaller generally doesn't do much to lessen quality unless you start messing with dpi. Facebook drops dpi down to 96 (from 240 or 320 usually, in my case) when it resizes your photos, and most people don't even notice. Prints are where you'll really be able to see it.
I sure notice that with the right photos. Facebook's insane compression makes it so I have to actually delete photos on occasion after posting them, because they look so horrid. Even already-resized-to-smaller photos, because of that DPI change.

You and I aren't most people :). I've seen that with a few of my pics, but not many. I've also noticed some color changes. That was probably a poor example, because who knows what facebook actually does when they resize...

Back