• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The DIY discussion thread: post your projects!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
just use drivers from the same brand as the driver in the bookshelves ur making

so 2 5 1/4" shielded Dayton Classics with that same tweeter in the shielded version will work very nicely. and be extremely well matched with those speakers

Ok, thanks! I will actualy be using 2 6" dayton drivers and the same tweeter for the center, but yeah, thanks for setting the record strait for me!

Next question, what is the maximum tolerable phase delay? My sub vented is at 34ms, is that standard for ported, or did I screw something up in the design?

At low frequencies like <30Hz, you won't be able to hear it. So the only group delay you need to concern yourself with is ~>35-40Hz.

I know I'm late, but here's the painted and final pics:

5446782e26be4e.jpg

5446782eb27a7f.jpg

5446782f77401f.jpg

5446783007903d.jpg

544678309d7e0a.jpg

Now my thoughts and listening imrpessions:

The paint came out with a much better texture as I did closer and heavier coats. A little too heavy on the top of one, but overall as good as this paint can get. You can still see very small lines where the sides were joined, but those appeared a week after the paint was applied. It should be noted that the boxes were smooth enough to not feel any gap, so this is simply an artifact of the paint soaking in, or the glue taking more time to set.

A couple of the pics show you how the texture is on the boxes. With that internal brace they are very dead. The binding posts are quite nice too, and I sealed those with o-rings.

As for how they perform....

They love power. Lots of it. To fill a room with sound you better have 25-30W to push their power rating, but I bet 50W total per speaker would be better for peaks. But that's just me. Those cones can move too. I did some 20-80Hz sine waves and they move so much you'd swear they'd fall apart, but they don't. If they move several mm listening to music, it's not something to worry about as they'll move twice as far. I used my Promedia 4.1 amp to drive them and highpass them for some music, and I nearly ran out of headroom on the volume knob. Really ran out of gas. My Prioneer ProLogic receiver in stereo mode had plenty of poop though.

For a 4.5" driver that's meant to cover the full spectrum of music, they do surprisingly well. High frequencies are definitely present past my threshold of hearing (18-19khz), but seem a little soft. The bass is very much present, more than the box cutoff of 90Hz (sealed box) would have you believe. Placing them closer to a wall and for computer use a sub should not be neccesary for easy listening. For gaming, a sub would be nice for those explosions and car engines though.

The midrange is SWEET though. Very smooth. It's been said these have a very 'cohesive' sound to them and the lack of any crossovers also benefits the sound. I could agree with that. But being a full ranger, they do have their limits. High frequency dispersion is limited to +/- 15 degrees, and the bass will not pound your room. But for the price and what they can do, they are very nice. Even giving more power seems to not harm the music with massive distorition. Another nice attritute is the imaging, which is superb. Left, right or center or anywhere in between it's easy to locate stuff.

Music used:

Vivaldi's Four Seasons, Telarc recording: where the midrange and violins shine, Very nice to listen to.

Albert Cummings - True to Yourself: The bass and treble is lacking on the recording, so not a fair comparison of the drivers, but sounds as good as it can get without applying a sub or loudness contour to make up for it. Using loudness on this the FRs do nicely.

Waterworld Soundtrack - Swimming track: The instruments used on here really show the imaging power, sounds very natural.

Fanfare for the Common Man - Aaron Copland: Very good way to destroy lackluster speakers. Better use a sub and a highpass, but they do surprisingly well at moderate volumes.

Bottom line: Classical stuff does well on this, but for music where more bass is present such as electric blues/rock, it's nice to have a sub. Treble detail is slightly lacking, but hey, this is big cone for that. Good domes or planars trounce it, but that's to be expected, right? For my computer, I'll like them, but for filling my room I'm planning on a Exodus CX12 sealed sub to go with them and for movies.

Thanx for all the pics and review. I want to build a pair for my main computer too. I was also considering the AE SL-10 for a sub woofer but I think I'll wait for them to get reorganized this summer before I order one. I'm going to build a AV version so I can get lowr bass. It's a balance between driver excursion and bass extension.

Your boxes look great and I hope mine turn out as good.

BTW what are the outside diminsions of your FR125S boxes?

GREAT job on the box, i couldn't build something that looked that nice if my life depended on it. i looked in those speakers a lot for myself, but the off-axis responce kepted me away as well as the size. i ended up going for the ascendant audio poly midbass speakers instead, i love them, but always wonder how those would have compared..

Voodoo Rufus said:
My boxes at 6.5x11x10.5. Exactly the same as this: http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FAL/box-plans/FR125S-7L-vented-box.gif

The AA Poly's have more excusion and are much larger. The FRs will have more top end extension but the Poly's will go a lot lower.

yea, in my situation, the FR would have gone in my car door, i was planning to put two on each door using a fiberglass pod, but seeing how they were greater than 60degrees offaxis from where i'd be sitting, i'd probably end up using a tweeter just to make up. but if i were making a Home audio setup, i might have gone with the FR. A FR array sounds sweet right now.. (Drools)

Woohoo! I feel like a million bucks, friday, I got off my *** and had my dad help me, and we got the sub box built, and installed all the parts earlier today. Got it running, and it sounds GREAT! I cant beleive I though I couldnt do it! Gonna realy put it through its paces tommarow. Dont worry, nothing crazy for a few more weeks of use, gotta let it break in first :p

Oh, and I will have Pictures in the next couple days!

Close up Shot of the driver, damn she fine!

The top of the box, its large enough for me to sit on, and strong enough to boot!

Finished in all her MDF glory :D

The very large, and very nice port (precision port 4")

The Bash 300w amp, still not sure if its gonna cut it, I think I may have some clipping issues when it first starts up, but runs great after I get the sub going.

Damn, very big for my front room :D

And yeah, dont mind the ghetto front room, the whole house is still under very slow remodeling, so no carpet right now, besides a rug lol.

i thought it looked like my dayton DVC..

btw my dvc died the other week...it has a 5 year warrentee..but if i have to mail it in, that's going to cost so much...

anyone deal with dayton/partsexpress warrentee..i should really do this soon

Back