• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Fan of all Fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Horrifying. Just horrifying. Those fans are simply ridiculous. They do have a nice amount of CFMs, tho... But the NOISE! 70db is the maximum sustained soundpressure level that is allowed without dampening (earplugs, etc) here in Finland. Those go way too near it.

if you want them go to overclock.co.uk, they also come in the 80mm, 92mm and 120mm versions, i dont know where you can get the 92 and 120mm ones

Sorry guys I have you beat... Im getting one of these in the mail today (should have got it last thursday.... stupid ups) Ya its big (6") ya its loud (54 db) but it has 235 CFM and it was 9 bucks and no shipping.

Product Description
This is the fan they use whenever they need a typhoon in a movie scene. Not. Okay, but it does move some major air, 235 CFM to be exact. This baby is brand new and is manufactured by Comair Rotron. Yep, it has terminals and it is ball bearing. The model number is JQ12B4. Operates on 12VDC and draws 2.26 amps. Plug it in and hold the dog, cause every bit of the air in the room is fixin to change. You have to have one of two things to operate this fan-a fan guard, or some more fingers. Measures 6.75"x5.92"x2.00" deep. FAN1041...

I use two axial 120 mm fans in my case, I don't know the cfm of the fans (must be a lot), but they are rated 5500 rpm's. Since they are double ball beared and are made of aluminium they don't make much noise. Backside is that they are for 230 VAC only. The two of them together make about half the noise of the delta on my FOP38. So decent airflow with low noise is possible. The fans aren't cheap however, and they need to be lubricated every now and then.

asmodean (Jul 30, 2001 07:15 a.m.):
Horrifying. Just horrifying. Those fans are simply ridiculous. They do have a nice amount of CFMs, tho... But the NOISE! 70db is the maximum sustained soundpressure level that is allowed without dampening (earplugs, etc) here in Finland. Those go way too near it.

70db? a lawnmower makes more niose(90-100db). BTW the pitch of the noise makes it sound alot louder then it actually is.

Mord-Sith (Jul 30, 2001 10:25 a.m.):
Sorry guys I have you beat... Im getting one of these in the mail today (should have got it last thursday.... stupid ups) Ya its big (6") ya its loud (54 db) but it has 235 CFM and it was 9 bucks and no shipping.

Cripes, man, that's insane..... I gotta have a couple. Please post your findings and the website to get 'em... if you have any fingers left. :D

OMG... don't ever buy those fans... they are too damn loud!!! Now, don't get me wrong, I have two smaller 7k RPM Delta fans (38 cfm) and I'm perfectly fine with that... but those 80mm fans are way too much. I couldn't even hear myself think when I used those fans, even just one is too much. They just have the worst pitch imaginable (IMO). Just listening to one fan drove me bonkers, till I ordered another pair of Sunon's to replace them with. Now I have two ridiculously loud fans that I have no use for; considering making a small RC airplane using those damn things.

First off I like to say I hate UPS (sorry dad) still no fan but I was assured I would get it tomorrow. What Im planing on doing is runing it at about 1/2 to 3/4 voltage. My hopes are it will run very quiet and still put out about 100 to 175 CFM. Ill post my results... (ill even borow a db meter from work)

Jesus, 8000 rpm...gotta watch your fingers around that one! I was once feeling around in my case without looking to feel how hot my heatsink was, when *crack*! My finger slows a sharpened fin from 7000 rpm to 0, followed by plenty of bleeding and my friend laughing his *** off...I reaffixed the grill, after than little incident.
What's the 38's decibal level compared to that??

Muhahahah! <---evil victory laugh... wow, that is just too impressive... I had to have one.....LOL If I cannot squeeze a 6th fan in, I could always build an ultralight... batteries might be a problem.... but pphhfftt who really folows the laws of physics anyway... ROFL Jim

Mord-Sith (Jul 30, 2001 10:25 a.m.):

Well I got it and slaped it on a 3 amp psu right away. Its loud but not the high pitch delta loud its much lower. At arms length (bout 3 feet) with the fan pointed at my face my hair (all of it) goes strait back. I would estimate a 30mph wind.

Mord-Sith (Jul 31, 2001 02:08 p.m.):
Well I got it and slaped it on a 3 amp psu right away. Its loud but not the high pitch delta loud its much lower. At arms length (bout 3 feet) with the fan pointed at my face my hair (all of it) goes strait back. I would estimate a 30mph wind.

HOLY CRAP! Now that's what I call a fan, lol :)

So the big delta version is more tolerable then the smaller one? I know what you mean with the delta having an anoying whine, it didnt last long in my house =) I can take loud db just becuase It blends in easier, but your going to have a hard time blending in a screaming delta :)

No No read my earlier posts. My fan is a comair rotron 6" fan. It moves 235cfm per minute way more then the little deltas.

FINALLY someone is selling the 80mm Delta fans in the States. I have been looking for that fan forever.

If you are looking for a 80mm that is not as loud you can pick up a ADDA fan that puts out 50cfm and is only about $8 at:

These guys are real good if you haven't shopped there before.

Back