• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Gentoo Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
For those who've been trying out gentoo!

Its not the easiest distro to setup, but more than a few have been giving it a try lately. And there are some good reasons for that. For one, its source-based. So packages are compiled from source rather than precompiled. This means the software is optimized for your particular CPU rather than precompiled, a nice concept for overclockers in love with bleeding-edge performance and linux. It also means installing packages can take anywhere from a few minutes to most of a day. But the portage system is pretty easy to use and takes care of all dependencies so that's a load off your back. One command installs , finds dependencies, and configures any package. One command uninstalls a package. One command updates all your packages.

Excerpt from gentoo.org: "Gentoo Linux in a paragraph

Gentoo Linux is a versatile and fast, completely free Linux distribution for x86, PowerPC, UltraSparc and Alpha systems that's geared towards Linux power users. Unlike other distros, Gentoo Linux has an advanced package management system called Portage. Portage is a true ports system in the tradition of BSD ports, but is Python-based and sports a number of advanced features including dependencies, fine-grained package management, "fake" (OpenBSD-style) installs, path sandboxing, safe unmerging, system profiles, virtual packages, config file management, and more.

Gentoo Linux 1.4_rc1

Gentoo Linux 1.4 features Linux 2.4.19+ and a modern GNU development environment (glibc-2.2.5, gcc 3.2, XFS, ReiserFS, ext3, EVMS, LVM, ALSA, pcmcia-cs support, "vanilla" (stock) kernel compatibility for those who prefer unpatched kernels, Xfree86 4.2, OpenGL, KDE 3.0 and 3.1_beta and GNOME 2.0.2, tcp-wrappers, xinetd, iptables and Linux QoS tools, modern qmail (with optional mysql and LDAP support), postfix and exim MTAs, GRUB boot loader (LILO also available if you need it), 2900+ up-to-date ebuild scripts of your favorite apps, an innovative dependency-based startup script design, and of course Portage, a completely open design and a great developer and user community.

More about Portage

Portage allows you to set up Gentoo Linux the way you like it -- with the optimization settings that you want, and with optional build-time functionality (like GNOME, KDE, mysql, ALSA, LDAP support, etc.) enabled or disabled as you desire. If you don't want GNOME on your system, your apps won't have optional GNOME support enabled, and if you do, then they will. That's why we prefer thinking of Gentoo Linux as a meta-distribution or Linux technology engine. You decide what kind of system you want, and Portage will create it for you.

We maintain an official Gentoo Linux Portage tree that contains the most recent versions of our ebuild autobuild scripts. By updating your Portage tree, you gain instant access to the latest and greatest Linux technologies and applications. Tell Portage what ebuild you'd like to install, and Portage will auto-download, unpack, patch, configure, compile and install the package. Thanks to Portage auto-dependency resolution, you can install KDE 3.0 or GNOME 2.0.2 by typing in a single command, and the resultant installed binaries will be optimized and customized to your exact specifications."

So this is where we can post our problems and experiences with gentoo. Unfortunately, I'm a newb so I don't have all the answers.

My experiences so far:

There was also a problem copying the installation over to a nearly identical server. Seems that eth0 and eth1 couldn't ping anything but themselves. Problem occured when moving the installation onto 3 different servers, but # 4 worked fine. Had to scratch my head at that one. desmg says the irq is blocked by another device, but there's not much in the bios to help us switch things around and the NICs are onboard. We did try a second nic in the server that used a PCI card and moved the nics around in those slots too. Still didn't work. Finally gave up and did a stage 1 install onto one of the problem servers and it seemed to work, but had a bug while folding where the process would not pause when I used the STOP command, and then later hung doing our engineering software. Gonna get to fixing it and try something besides 2.4.19 r9 gentoo-sources 'cuz its given us nothing but trouble. r5 works great as does the vanilla-source kernel.

Portage issues- Sometimes we've had trouble getting the newest version of certain packages like kde and auotfs. To fix this, we tried getting older packages and then getting the newer ones and that seems to have helped. (I'll post the exact command when I can think of it... something like merge unmerge "package name" with no quotes) Some things seem to error every time, so if portage won't work on something, you can always resort to installing the binary in the standard way.

Other notes about portage- KDE and OpenOffice both take a very long time to compile. Take a nap.

KDE3.1 pwns. I'm not sure where exactly we got a hold of it, if it was through portage or not, but I'll get it from work and put it on my own ftp sometime soon for those who want it, the tarball that is. Edit: KDE 3.1 rc1.3 can be found on KDE's ftp site if you can't get it with portage.

Last edited:
As you might have read from another post, I tried Gentoo and took days and days to get it to work, and then installed xfree while i went to sleep, another day gone away, and then I emerged KDE on to my system and after hours ran into trouble. I dont think I'll try gentoo again for awhile... :p

You can still use the system while things are compiling, no?

Speaking of ports, I've been using FreeBSD lately. Not as cutting-edge or supported as Linux, but its nice and simple. Setup is very easy.

I had no problems with gentoo, I like the gentoo forums to. Plenty of help over there. I just put the CD in the drive, switch the thing on and followed the instructions. Well sort of followed the instructions :D

I love Gentoo, I'm using it on my home server right now. It's hosting my web page and I'm working on the mail portion. Right now I'm struggling through courier-imap configuration. It's a pain right now but I'm working on it. :D

-DarkArctic

I've got most of it running. I can't get gnome to work, though and I haven't got the printer figured out either. These, however, (okay, I'm not sure about the gnome thing) are my failings, not gentoo's. I love Gentoo!

Anyone want to help me w/ my printer?

BSD

nil_esh said:
You can still use the system while things are compiling, no?

Speaking of ports, I've been using FreeBSD lately. Not as cutting-edge or supported as Linux, but its nice and simple. Setup is very easy.

We use a little OpenBSD also. Pretty darn secure since hax0rs usually target windows and redhat more often than anything else.

I wonder what kernel everyone is using, hmm? At work overdoze and I are dealing with gentoo-sources 2.4.19 r5 and r9. 2.4.20 is out and official now I heard.

Bugs beat!

At work we had trouble with some onboard network cards. Disabling ACPI fixed that problem.

There was also the issue of folding and the perl script overdoze wrote to make it go all the way idle when we needed it to. An older gentoo-sources kernel, 2.4.19 r5 fixed that problem.

Gentoo now pronounced flawless and ready for full deployment. Config install script in the works.

emerge whole network
lol

work

I get paid to make the network run at its best and solve problems.
Folding has been used as a test, and has shown that there is at least some kind of minor problem (even if it was just cosmetic) in the last kernel we tried. All the machines fold when they have nothing else to do.

Last edited:
So far, the only bug that I've run into with it is that it liked to crash when idle on one type of IBM machine.

"Take a nap" -- yes, depending on the power of the machine.. for the one I tried it on, "take a hibernation"

Looks good, but you have to build it from the ground up.. if nothing else, it's a good learning experience..

:bang head :bang head :bang head

OK got that out of the way. I just installed and had a few problems.

1. DEVFS was not compiled into the kernel for some reason:eek:

2. It looks like all the grub configs were lost for some reason.

3. on boot I get a couple error messages:

a. Failed to bring eth0 up.

b. Error Problem starting needed services. "netmount" was not started.

I had to edit the grub to just get it started and I can't get the CD to start it, it just goes to the grub boot screen. Once I edited grub I was able to get it to boot. with the errors I just listed. The weird thing is I tried to look at the grub conf and it is not even there. Without the network card wiorking it is kind of dead. My main question is whether or not I am going to have to recompile the kernel.

Edit: I got the grub thing figured out It was a common spelling error "kernal"
I am in the process of recompiling the kernel. I found the tulip driver for my nic and hopefully the other problems will go away with the recompile:D

Edit: many kernel compiles later I am not getting the DEVFS pause error but it is till not loading. and it will not boot. The only compile that will boot is the first one without the nic driver. I might just start from scratch and do it again. I have the day off work tomorow. any help will be apreciated:D

Last edited:
Kendan said:
:bang head :bang head :bang head

OK got that out of the way.
:DLOL:D

My main problem with Grub is that it created grub.conf, but was looking for another config file. I just linked grub.conf to it, and it hasn't given me a problem since.

I find that Gentoo is really picky about the NIC (as opposed to other distros where i found i could swap in any NIC).

su root said:

:DLOL:D

My main problem with Grub is that it created grub.conf, but was looking for another config file. I just linked grub.conf to it, and it hasn't given me a problem since.

I find that Gentoo is really picky about the NIC (as opposed to other distros where i found i could swap in any NIC).

Yes, I linked the grub thing they are in the middle of changing where the conf is. The nic driver is there I just didn't see it when I first compiled the kernel which is the only compile I have gotten to boot but it has no nic. I think I am going to start from scratch the next chance I get. I am really comfortable compiling the Kernel now. I just need to get it working:D

gentoo

Make sure ACPI is off in the bios. This caused trouble for several types of NICs on the office servers. If its just a missing module in the kernel you can probably get it going with a recompile. We've got eepro100, tulip, and 3com nic's and all of them work fine.

I just started the install process for gentoo 64 bit on a sun sparc ultra 80. :eek: Hopefully will have a chance to work on it a bit this weekend and have it finished by monday.

Last edited:
has anyone here tried installing from stage2 or 3? If so, how smooth is the install? I've only installed from Stage1..

I've done stage 3 before. Really easy considering it saves from having to compile the entire system again. Of course you still have to compile the kernel but I've pretty much mastered that. :)

-DarkArctic

I just ditched redhat for gentoo on main rig. I compiled the whole thing from stage one with no problems.

Well I had a few problems with grub, but then again don't we all? Posting from gentoo as we speak. Just got to love that emerge system.

kevmarks said:
I just ditched redhat for gentoo on main rig. I compiled the whole thing from stage one with no problems.

Well I had a few problems with grub, but then again don't we all? Posting from gentoo as we speak. Just got to love that emerge system.
It's much like the ports tree in FreeBSD. Makes installations much easier :)

Yeah, it's much better than the RPM system. However, it's not a long term solution. Linux needs some kind of standard installer like Windows.

Back