• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Gentoo Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Audioaficionado said:
You should be able to insert gcc flags and recompile most Linux distro kernels, no?

Hmm, I'm not sure there. But during the kernel configuration, you do tell it what kind of CPU you have, so that probably does at least some optimization.

Part of the speed people gain with Gentoo it because everything on the system is compiled from source with optimizations, not just the kernel. I don't think that kernel optimizations would make a noticable performance difference though.

Titan386 said:

Hmm, I'm not sure there. But during the kernel configuration, you do tell it what kind of CPU you have, so that probably does at least some optimization.

Part of the speed people gain with Gentoo it because everything on the system is compiled from source with optimizations, not just the kernel. I don't think that kernel optimizations would make a noticable performance difference though.

Just to reiterate on what everyone has said, these gcc flags are set in /etc/make.conf during the install (whether it be stage1, 2, or 3, it still says you should set these flags). If you notice during the compiling, the flags you set are appended onto the gcc commands. Also, I am a new gentoo convert, and am loving it so far.

I do have one question though. I used to use slackware, and when I used SAMBA to transfer the files, they would move at the full 100 mbps, and I would inherently get some packet-collisions and errors (I am using a NetGear switch). In Gentoo however, I get no errors or packet-collisions, and my speed is cut in half. I have reason to believe that some program is intercepting all of the errored packets, and requesting a re-send of the data. I belive this because ifconfig shows that there were no errors on eth1. Now, if someone knows what program does this, it would be greatly appreciated. I do not mind the few packet-collisions as long as my speed is 100 mpbs. So, any help is appreciated.

Hmm.. you running the same kernel version in Slack and Gentoo? If not, then maybe the driver has changed between the kernel versions.

Here I go again. I am giving Gentoo another shot:D just started the bootstrap and will finsh the rest tomorow afternoon:D I hope it works this time:D

KraziKid said:
I would inherently get some packet-collisions and errors (I am using a NetGear switch).
You shouldn't get any packet collisions, because you are using a switch, you should have a 100Mbits/s Full Duplex connection, which is collision free.

WooHoo. I got it installed and I am emerging KDE right now:D man this is taking a long time. I want to give a big thank you to DarkArctic for helping me thru it and giving me some tips:D

Kendan said:
WooHoo. I got it installed and I am emerging KDE right now:D man this is taking a long time. I want to give a big thank you to DarkArctic for helping me thru it and giving me some tips:D

I had arkaine23 helping me when I hit a snag.

Warning: KDE3 took me 30 hours to compile, and im probably gonna end up using fluxbox anyway because it looks much cleaner X.x

30 Hours!
does kde come with the gentoo distro? Im just downloading 1.4rc2, will i need to get kde3 seperately or not?

Slaught said:
30 Hours!
does kde come with the gentoo distro? Im just downloading 1.4rc2, will i need to get kde3 seperately or not?
no, you will need to emerge it in after the install. (that means that 'emerge' will download XFree86, KDE3, their libraries and dependancies, and then compile and install them. I accidentally ran that... I gave up after about 5 hours or so (we were kicked out of the lab, actually).

emerge

Congrats, Kendan!!! Were you playing UT2k3 from gentoo or windows the other night?

Yeah, plan on a couple of days to get the software installed.... X, KDE, and openoffice all take quite awhile to compile from source.

Re: emerge

Arkaine23 said:
Congrats, Kendan!!! Were you playing UT2k3 from gentoo or windows the other night?

Yeah, plan on a couple of days to get the software installed.... X, KDE, and openoffice all take quite awhile to compile from source.

nope it was emerging KDE at the time. I am now in KDE3 on Gentoo:D I am so happy I guess third time really is the charm when it comes to Gentoo;)

How big is kde 3 to DL? Can i DL it before hand, cos im not on broadband, and have a 2 hour connection limit (stupid dial up) I have ISDN, but its not great for downloads :(

you could pull down the source from
http://www.kde.org
but you'll want to make sure you have all the libraries you need.

I'm not sure where it pulls the emerge packages from.

gentoo

[sings 12 days of Xmas melody]
Now running on 9 dually XP servers, 4 XP workstations, 4 Tbird workstations, and a SunSparc Ultra 80.
[/Xmassy melody]

Re: gentoo

Arkaine23 said:
Now running on 9 dually XP servers, 4 XP workstations, 4 Tbird workstations, and a SunSparc Ultra 80.
[/Xmassy melody]

Now just think how much it would cost to run win2k or XP pro on all those XP machines:eek:

People say linux is useless:rolleyes:

Re: gentoo

Arkaine23 said:
[/Xmassy melody]

You must have a cool work, that they don't mind having you throw Linux up on the workstations. And you aren't the sysadmin, are you?

work

sysadmin-in-training :) The actual admin guys are computer engineers/mid-level management, and are looking to get back to their real work as opposed to the admin stuff.

I'm on a 90-day trial period in which I must learn certain objectives. One month and a few days remain in my limited contract. I still have to cover OpenBSD, setting up a gateway, firewall rules, bash scripting, perl scripting, and a little bit of knowledge about the mailserver, back-up server, and webserver. I was a *nix n00b 2 months ago and still am in many respects.

The engineers run an app developed by a company called Magma in order to implement and perfect chip designs. Luckily for them it was ported to Linux. They'd been running Redhat for a year or so, and when I started with them, it was at a time when they had decided to upgrade the network to Gentoo.

If ya ask me, its a lot of studying to try to pick up so much networking and OS stuff in such a short time. But its also pretty fun.

Arkaine's got like the baddest job ever.

Ok, I'm in need of a few pointers. I hooked my main monitor up to my gentoo box and did a
XFree86 -configure

then copied the monitor from the new one that was just made into my working /etc/X11/XF86Conf file.
I changed my display mode subsettings, ect, and everything is fine. I'm sitting at 85hz (I think) and 1024x768.

The only problem is that everything is all wierd and wavy, like there are tiny little distortions all over, even as I type this.

Anyone have any idea's?
And if not, is this at all bad for my monitor?
It's a G90fb-2.
Here is my XF86Conf file:
Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "XFree86 Configured"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
ModulePath "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "extmod"
Load "xie"
Load "pex5"
Load "dri"
Load "dbe"
Load "record"
Load "xtrap"
Load "glx"
Load "speedo"
Load "type1"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "keyboard"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "Auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
Option "Buttons" "5"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
#DisplaySize 360 270 # mm
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "VSC"
ModelName "G90fb-2"
HorizSync 50 - 180
VertRefresh 30 - 97
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
### Available Driver options are:-
### Values: <i>: integer, <f>: float, <bool>: "True"/"False",
### <string>: "String", <freq>: "<f> Hz/kHz/MHz"
### [arg]: arg optional
#Option "NoAccel" # [<bool>]
#Option "SWcursor" # [<bool>]
#Option "ColorKey" # <i>
#Option "CacheLines" # <i>
#Option "Dac6Bit" # [<bool>]
#Option "DRI" # [<bool>]
#Option "NoDDC" # [<bool>]
#Option "XvMCSurfaces" # <i>
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "i810"
VendorName "Intel"
BoardName "i810"
BusID "PCI:0:1:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1024x768"
Viewport 0 0
EndSubSection
#SubSection "Display"
# Depth 4
#EndSubSection
#SubSection "Display"
# Depth 8
#EndSubSection
#SubSection "Display"
# Depth 15
#EndSubSection
#SubSection "Display"
# Depth 16
#EndSubSection
#SubSection "Display"
# Depth 24
#EndSubSection
EndSection

Maybe someone can help me out with the mouse here too. I still have no 3rd button or scroll, and setting IMPS/2 kills the kb and mouse.

Sorry for all the sloppiness of that file and so much commented out, I had to do much of the editing myself, and I'm still a good part n00b with this :p

Thanks for any help

Try double checking your refresh rates. Perhaps you monitor does not support the mode you are in.

I've also seen a few monitors that claim they support a given mode, but the display looks weird, sort of like what you're describing.

Back