• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED THE OVEN TRICK - WORKED

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i hav a nv8500gt which is now dead because of my stupidness
i was trying to open the heatsink of my card and it was soo tightly fitted
so i removed it and putted some thermal paste
and when i try to start my pc it wont start now
do u think now if i do this trick
are there any chances of working this card??
nd sorry for my bad english!!

whats 385F in celcius??

i hav a nv8500gt which is now dead because of my stupidness
i was trying to open the heatsink of my card and it was soo tightly fitted
so i removed it and putted some thermal paste
and when i try to start my pc it wont start now
do u think now if i do this trick
are there any chances of working this card??
nd sorry for my bad english!!

whats 385F in celcius??
whats 385F in celcius?? is a temperature ( gas mark 6)
you probably knocked a component of or the thermal paste got onto the pcb if it was conductive?
otherwise...go ahead....you have nothing to loose

ARR

I ACCIDENTLY BURNT ONE
i had an old x1600 that wasnt working, and i was bored, so i put it in the oven...but forgot about it :) so i left it in there for 12 mins. and the processor has a small hole in it now:bang head
oh well, i was about to throw it away anyway

I ACCIDENTLY BURNT ONE
i had an old x1600 that wasnt working, and i was bored, so i put it in the oven...but forgot about it :) so i left it in there for 12 mins. and the processor has a small hole in it now:bang head
oh well, i was about to throw it away anyway

ROTFLOL....oh man, that couldn't have smelled pretty :bang head

suppose now we know 12minutes is too long #Laughs#

youve baked a card and ive fried my CPU (I think)

anyone boiled anything to death today?

modding force is not strong in the UK today :(

Think this would work on the failed 7800 GT GO in my laptop?

The laptop display still works, but the system doesn't recognize the video card anymore. I could theoretically go from a partially dead to a fully dead laptop, so I do have something to lose in this case, lol.

Well I didnt have any luck. The card I tested it on was an fx5700LE that had red lines shaking on the screen when playing a 3d game, worked fine in windows. Put it in the oven for 6:15 @ 380* the stickers on it started to smoke so I pulled it out.
First time I turned it on, the monitor came on, the system booted into windows fine, but the screen was totally blank. Rebooted, this time nothing came on the screen and the LED on the monitor stayed orange, the system still booted into windows, etc however.

My friend's 8800ultra had red lines and lots of artifacts, so he put it in the oven for a laugh as he didn't believe me (I gave him some links of how people have done it) and now it works again, saves him from buying another gpu for a while!

Thank you so much, this resurected my x800xl that didnt even POST. Had it in 200 C for 6 min and now 8800gts320 is having same treatment :)

Hi guys! Just new to the forums. I think what you guys have been doing is amazing by the way! I was just wondering if antipesto or anyone who might know could help me with an 8800gtx that i got my hands on.
The problem: When the graphics card is plugged in the fan spins but there is no display and the computer gives 1 long, 2 short beeps indicating graphics error. I guess since when the slot is left empty it does that anyway it just means that the card isn't currently getting input/output with the pci-E slot.
I'm really determined to make this work! I have looked over every inch of the card and can't seem to find any sort of physical damage. I don't know if the gpu could be fried, because it looks 100% fine physically. Maybe on the weekend I might post up some pics and see if you guys can spot anything. If you guys have any sort of experience with this problem it would really be appreciated. And since the card is second hand and such there is no warranty or returns, I would just love to be able to succesfully see it run as you all know how good that feels! thanks

^^^ This thread is so popular people are advertising here LOL

MrDaveDave, i have had a similar problem about a year ago, and i didnt find a way to fix it. i would try useing it as a secondary card if you haave sli/corssire and booting into nvflash and try reflashing the bios
again - i tried this but nvflash didnt recognise the card at all

THE- OVEN TRICK - WORKED

For anyone else wondering what this is about, read this thread here. Fantastic idea, but a warning: ONLY DO THIS IF YOU ARE OUT OF WARRANTY.

It's anything over between 356 - 374 degrees Fahrenheit (180-190 degrees Celsius) as this is the temperature most common solder melts at. I think the guides recommends 364 Fahrenheit

Back