• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED THE OVEN TRICK - WORKED

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
another fixed

i too had fallen victim to artifacts and red lines on one of my 8800 gts, so i figured i wouldnt have anything to lose and try the oven trick "kinda". being i only have 1 oven, which i cook carbon based food in not silicon, i wasn't about to have electrolyte lunch.. so i used my handy dandy heat gun i had bought for stripping paint and a infrared thermometer. first removed sink and old themal paste and used a small brush and some electronics cleaner on all components and to jus clean up the pcb and let the fumes roll off till dry. kept the gun at a good distance from the card not keeping the heat in one place too long then taking heat off and checking temp, got upto 350 in about 4-5 mins then i slowly raised to 375 concentrating mostly on the gpu side of board for about 4-5 mins. let cool new paste and wallah! been folding when not at computer for 3 weeks and still games as well as other 8800..
my 2 cents on the whole issue. these companys really shouldn't skimp on the quality of the solder. why soo many people are having these issues is beyond me.... but i spose i should be happy its alive again ! soo thanks too all for the input on the matter!

I have an old card I bios flashed and supposedly upped the timing too far back in my noobier days. I think it overheated. Would this fix a problem like this? I'm thinking for this I'd be out of luck. Just wanting to check before I try it.

Hey all, My 9800xt is currently artifacting, I have nothing to lose, so what should i do? strip it then put it in the oven for 5 min?

Hey all, My 9800xt is currently artifacting, I have nothing to lose, so what should i do? strip it then put it in the oven for 5 min?

yup > just remove the heatsink and any thermal paste you see and off you go!
dont over cook it :)

I'm going to try this out on a couple of older cards and see what happens.

I have a dead Chaintech Geforce 3 Ti200 128MB and an Asus Geforce 2 GTS 64mb. Well well past their prime, but it would be fun to see them resurrected.

This is madness!! Yesturday I had an 8800gtx that wouldn't even let my comp start if it was connected! Today after 5 mins of light baking, I have a fully functioning gpu!! Furthermore, the fact that I had to change the thermal paste means that I've lost 10c of my gpu Temps!! Thanks guys!!!!:)

tryed this today on my old x800xl agp card, but i dont have a way to test it. gona have to dig threw the closet and toss a agp rig togher.

*update* well i baked my old x800xl that stoped workin one day after i replaced the TIM (card got bent i think and cracked some solder)..
well 2 years later it works! booted into windows fine. going to install some games and make sure 3d works =)

Thanks for the warning. I just assumed any kind capacitor on a gpu these days were probably on a mobo.

I tried baking my dead DFI Ultra-D motherboard. The board got badly warped. It also melted and cracked the chipset levitation fan that was dead anyways. I sold it to a guy who collected legendary motherboards for display on a wall.

What I did was bake it at only 250 degrees F (120 C) for like a whopping 30 minutes. I should've taken off the chipset fan and baked it at higher temps for like 8 minutes max, like recommended in this thread.

Realistically, I would never take the risk of hooking up this baked motherboard with other components, since there could be some kind of an electrical discharge, destroying everything else.. At least it was a fun and exciting experience just baking this mobo! :D

So I had to buy another Ultra-D and use it to access my RAID setup once again.. whew!

30 mins!!!!! wow thats long
12 mins is enough to burn a hold in a cpu

^^...wait did you put a perfectly working mobo in the oven?

No, it was already dead. I went and bought another one anyways because I did not want to risk hooking up my components to a baked motherboard and powering it on.

Back