• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Physics and Chemistry of Matter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Good stuff. Brings back a load of bad memories :p plus some stuff I didn't know from chemistry. one minor detail you might add is that liquids are incompressible. otherwise its all good :clap:

cant believe it took me 2 weeks to find this now i have something to refer my friends too who are just starting to get into ocing.

great idea David and a truly valuable sticky to have around considering why were all here :thup:

Phextwin said:
Excellent post!

What about metallic bonding?

It explains why metals conduct electricity and heat so well.

Aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh I cant BELEIVE I missed that one.

Thanks for the heads up pal :)

David said:
Gases: structure and properties

Due to gases being more spread out, they are easier to compress. The pressure, volume and temperature of a gas are governed by the following relation****:

pV = nRT

Where p is pressure (in Pascals), V is volume (litres), n is the number of moles of gas (see above), R is a constant (~8.3) and T is temperature. Thus if volume is held constant (in a fixed vessel perhaps) and the temperature is increased, then so is the pressure.

I wanted to point out that P can be in any unit so long as you have the appropiate constant. In my chem class we did everything in Atmospheres (ATMs) so we used the Liter-Atmosphere(atm)-Mole-Kelvin constant for the Ideal Gas Law which is .08206. When doing these calculations make sure you either have the right constant or convert your units to match your constant. There are english system constants as well I believe.

You may want to add some values for R which can be found towards the bottom of this chart. That should allow the buding chemists of the forum to be more flexible ;).

David said:
gonna try and get some thermal properties of various compounds in here

The quality of this post was awesome I have to contribute something.

Silver 419 W/m-k
copper 385 W/m-k
Aluminum 210 W/m-k

These two I added because sometimes they are used as plating.

Nickel 60.7 W/m-k
Chromium 69.1 W/m-k

And these because of use in thermal compounds:

Zinc Oxide 23.4 W/m-k
Boron Nitride 2-60 W/m-k depending on direction - Not sure about this one.
Aluminum oxide <30 W/m-k

Also some solders:
63% tin 37% lead (eutectoid) 50.9 w/m-k melt point: 183 deg C
Indium 52 Tin 48: 34 W/m-k melt point: 118 deg C

I don't know if these last two will be of use, but they're there for completeness. Hope that helps, and very well done :thup:

maybe an useful appendum...

The Peltier Effect

A typical TEC (thermoelectric cooler) is comprised of an array of semiconductor-metal junctions that has been cleverly engineered in such a way that there is a side that absorbs heat and a side that releases heat. This has led to the application of TECs in cpu cooling b/c they do a good job of absorbing heat from the cpu and displacing it somewhere else (usually a waterblock).

Any ways, back the the S-N junction (semiconductor-metal). First come some restrictions. In order for an S-N junction to experience the Peltier Effect, the conduction electrons in the semiconductor must exist at a higher energy level than the conduction electrons in the metal. Ok, so now the metal electrons are just chilling. They are in the lowest energy state available and cannot flow into the semiconductor. The reason they cannot flow into the semiconductor is that they encounter a potential "hill" at the junction. This hill comes from the fact that the semiconductor electrons exist at a higher energy level than the metal electrons (recall this is not true in general, just in this case). In order for the metal electrons to flow into the semiconductor, they need to increase their energy.

-enter Peltier-

If you apply a current across a S-N junction, these electrons somehow must overcome this potential barrier. How, you ask? They absorb energy from the phonons, of course! In other words, they absorb thermal energy from the lattice. Now that the electrons have gained this energy from the lattice, they can easily flow across the junction. Current flowing from metal to semiconductor results in heat absorption, and current flowing from semiconductor to metal results in heat radiation (remember, the current flows in the opposite direction of electrons).

So now, you take your clever little TEC, apply a current, and get the hot and cold sides.

Physics Disclaimer: the previous only applies to n-type semiconductors, for p-type simply reverse everything.

edit: corrections welcome!

This is an awesome sticky, I also have an answer for why is water the best solution for cooling.....

My physics teacher told me once that if you dont know the answer to a question about water, one sure way to increase your chance of getting the right answer is to say that ITS POLAR!

So, not that I dont know at all why water is better, but I just wanted to say because its Polar.

ShadowClock59 said:
This is an awesome sticky, I also have an answer for why is water the best solution for cooling.....

My physics teacher told me once that if you dont know the answer to a question about water, one sure way to increase your chance of getting the right answer is to say that ITS POLAR!

So, not that I dont know at all why water is better, but I just wanted to say because its Polar.

You are more or less correct :D. Water is polar => hydrogen bonding => stronger force holding molecules together => more energy reqd to heat water => higher heat capacity => better for cooling :)

David said:
You are more or less correct :D. Water is polar => hydrogen bonding => stronger force holding molecules together => more energy reqd to heat water => higher heat capacity => better for cooling :)

Haha, Thanks. Ill have to let my Physics teacher know that his tip has been put to work and it turned out he was somewhat correct. :)

Once again, great post.

Can we get a mod in here to delete this guy.Seems his french is limited to one link in ALL the threads he has posted in.

That of course would be the above c3dlc .

Silver said:
Can we get a mod in here to delete this guy.Seems his french is limited to one link in ALL the threads he has posted in.

That of course would be the above c3dlc .

Donny_Paycheck is on it.

Back