• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Search function and thorough reading for a succesful overclock.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jon

Just Another Retired Moderator
I've been a huge fan of the Search function of this forum ever since we have had it. I basically wanted to take this time to introduce some of those who are new to our fair forums to this very useful tool.

I, by no means, am telling you that you are on your own when first joining these forums, nor am I telling you to be leery about asking a question that may have been asked a million times before. What I want to get across is very simple...overclocking is not as simple as changing a setting and living happily-ever-after with your new found speed increase.

Over the past years, the PC has evolved from a very basic set of similar parts, to a vast array of devices created by many manufacturers in every size, shape and form imaginable. At one time, when this forum first came to life, there was not a whole lot of configuration differences between one fellow overclocker and the next. We simply did not have the seemingly endless number of choices we have now.

This is where the search function and additional reading come into play. Because it is so difficult to find that one person who has an exact duplicate of the new overclocking system you have just put together, it is very important to learn how things work. Even though there are the many different types of hardware out there, you will find that, depending on the device, similar hardware usually all works in the same basic way. It's not always necessary to use the Search function to find your exact configuration...try finding similar items. Use broad searches and then narrow them down as you get closer to your specific problem or question. Read all that you can on anything found that remotely relates to what you want to know, afterall, when it comes to computers, everything ties together at some point. The more you know about how things work together, the easier it is to apply that knowledge to any problems or questions you want a solution to.

Reading the articles on the front page may seem tedious to some, as well as being outdated information. However, the same basics described in those articles are still applied today. It's those same basics that the experienced overclockers depend on to this very day. Good cooling, voltage regulation, bus frequency settings and others are going to be needed by us to overclock any system, whether it be the latest AMD chip or the oldest of Intels. Just because the examples used are well out of date doesn't mean the process itself is outdated. If you don't understand, or are not willing to take the time to learn, the basics of overclocking, you're going to find it very difficult to get started...especially if you're new to computers altogether.

Much of what I have explained here can be applied to mdcomp's excellent guide on what makes a well-thought out post. It's next to impossible to ask an intelligent question if you have no idea what your asking. Even if you do get lucky enough to plainly state your question, you may not understand the answer to it unless you understand the basics.

If anything, please don't get frustrated and to the point where you feel as if you're in over your head. We all started somewhere and that somewhere may be just where you're at now. The enthusiasm and interest a first-time overclocker has is usually enough to get anyone through learning the basics of the art we have grown to love...just don't let that frustration sneak in. We are all here to help and keep you headed in the right direction.

In short, the Search function is your friend, reading is knowledge and knowledge is power. That power will truly show in that first successful overclock...then you're hooked!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back