• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Xeon Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mateo

Now that Xeons have found the sweet spot of price/performance in SMP, its time that we have a thread for them :D

Note: this thread deals with P4-generation Xeons only (so far, unless demand changes)

The CPU

What are Xeons?

Xeons are Intel's CPUs for multiprocessor systems. It used to be that "regular" Pentium CPUs could be run in SMP, but the only way have dual P4s is to have dual Xeons. The only differences between Xeons and P4s of the same core are extra pins and the SMP capability. Noconas have just added Intel's version of x86-64, but some Prescotts have that, too.

Why go with Xeons?

They fit right between Athlon MPs and Opterons in terms of performance and price. A good source for real application benchmarks for them is GamePC, and from there you can tell that they almost blow away AMPs while keeping up with Opterons, especially when it comes to multimedia/content creation stuff. More importantly, they're somewhat cheaper and much more overclockable than Opterons (with motherboards available now).

What are the differences between P4 Xeons?

There are two main iterations of the P4 Xeon, the DP and MP. DP is a "normal" 2-way Xeon, which is what is generally available. MP is for 4- and 8-way systems, and cost thousands of dollars- they're completely out of place on the desktop.

The cores are:
  • Foster- found with 256k L2 on a 400 MHz bus. Akin to a Willamette- don't get these if you can help it.
    Fosters are not compatible with the PC-DL or most any motherboard newer than the e7505. Be sure to verify compatibility with your particular board.
  • Prestonia- found with 512k L2 on a 400 or 533 MHz bus. Akin to a Northwood- these are the sweet ones. All have HT. Some also have 1 or 2 MB L3 cache a la P4EE, which can count for a good 200-300 MHz, depending on the application.
  • Nocona- found with 1 MB L2, doubled L1, whatever the next revision of HT is, EM64T x86-64, on a 800 MHz bus. Akin to a Prescott.
    The PC-DL does not have the power circuitry to handle Nocona-based Xeons.

The sockets are:
  • Socket 603- Fosters and 400 MHz Prestonias. Older socket, these CPUs (except for Fosters in some/most cases) are compatible in newer motherboards.
  • Socket 604- Where the action is. 533 MHz Prestonias, the LV Xeons mentioned below, and Noconas. Just Socket 603 with an extra non-functioning pin to make it special, but the motherboards are the real deal here.

All Xeons have a downwardly unlocked multiplier- you can lower it freely below stock, but can't raise it above. However, there seems to be a split second on boot where the high, stock multiplier is in effect until the lower one comes in- you'll have to have enough voltage to get over this short hump so that you could get at the stable lower multi when overclocking.

How does the cache affect things?

Cache is very important to the Pentium 4 "Netburst" architecture, and with the extra options in some Xeons, should be considered a bit more. Performance boosts depend on the application- upcoming benchmarks hopefully will help to show this, if we can get large cache samples. Photoshop seems to get the largest boost, followed by some renderers, like 3DSMax, and games.

L1 cache is very small and contains mostly instructions and important immediate things, it's quite standard and not usually looked at. The Prescott/Nocona has a doubled L1 cache, which does bring a notable performance increase.

L2 cache is the standard cache that we look to for performance. It serves as a local bunch of RAM so that the CPU can access program information and other things far quicker for processing.

L3 cache is an extra, periphery level of L2. However, in the P4 architecture the contents of each cache are mirrored in each other, so the L3 is effectively halved in size. More L2 is better than an extra chunk of L3, but remember that the Nocona has other architectural changes; it doesn't get performance differences just from its cache.

Hyperthreading vs two physical CPUs

Hyperthreading is nowhere near equal to having two CPUs. HT boosts specific applications that are written for it by jamming in more threads at the same time. Depending on the application, this may significantly increase performance. Two real CPUs not only boost SMP-optimized applications by an even more significant amount, but they handle twice the load at the same time. This means you can burn a CD while gaming, Photoshop, queue massive print jobs, and zip in the background, or do whatever other crazy things you want. HT has a negligible effect IMHO on being able to handle extra load, which is the main reason why you go with SMP.

Which one should I get to overclock?

The Intel Processor Finder has info on all available steppings and speed grades of all these CPUs. If you're unsure on what S-spec corresponds with what stepping or don't know what you have, check here.

A C1 or better stepping low-speed Prestonia is the best deal right now. They can be found in 533 MHz Xeons, although some 400 MHz versions have them.

Buying a high speed CPU (with a high multiplier) is not the best choice for two main reasons. First, you won't have as much flexibility to raise your FSB. Even though the multi is unlocked, the multiplier is still high enough to throw things off at that inital POST. Secondly, Xeons seem to be the cream of the crop of Intel production- it seems that even all of the low speed chips are "good" chips with noticeably more OCing ability than their equivalent P4 versions.

This narrows things to a few options. The most popular seems to be a 2.4 or 2.66 GHz / 533 MHz Prestonia with a recent stepping, such as M0. If you buy recent stock new from a place like Newegg, you're pretty much guaranteed to get a good M0. I don't see a reason to go with 2.66- the 2.4 gives you the same overclocking ability with slightly better flexibility for the FSB (lower multiplier) and a better price. There is a 2.4 with 1 MB L3 roaming around, but I don't know if it has any different overclocking potential, better or worse.

A recent newcomer has been the 1.6 GHz LV Xeon on a 400 MHz bus Socket 604. This thread has a whole bunch of info on that, but it turns out that these are C1 steppings at ridiculously low prices, meaning that you might be able to get 2x 3 GHz for really really cheap. They aren't as good as M0 2.4's, though. Recent results have shown a limit on these chips of around 2.85 GHz, but they're still a ridiculous deal. These chips have now sold out, but if you find them used, well, you might be quite lucky.

Overclocking expectations (maxes with full tweaks and cooling):
C1- ~3.2 GHz if you're lucky
D1- ??? in between the two
M0- roughly up to 3.6+ GHz

The Xeon Database further down this thread lists the overclocks of many of our members, from which you can get an idea of what to expect from a particular setup.

A note on Noconas- there is an upcoming E0 stepping meant to fix a whole bunch of issues with the chip. If you do want to go for a possible 4+ GHz with these guys, wait for that stepping. 2.8 GHz Noconas may become the next 2.4 GHz Prestonias, but its a little too early to tell right now. Do, however, consider them for the advanced platform detailed in the post below, including PCIe and DDR-II.

Update: E-0 Noconas have just been released. Early results look promising, but as with any Prescott, you need cooling, cooling, and more cooling, except now times 2.

Parts of this post, especially cache, contributed by zachj

Last edited:
Chipsets and Motherboards

What chipsets are available for Xeons?

These are just the AGP/enthusiast or desktop oriented chipsets, not the server ones.

Socket 603
  • i860
    • 400 MHz FSB
    • Dual-channel PC600/800 RDRAM
    • AGP
    • 64 bit 66 MHz PCI
    • E-ATX
The first P4 Xeon chipset. Solid, but none have any practical means of overclocking.

Socket 604
  • e7505
    • 400/533 MHz FSB
    • Dual-channel DDR266
    • AGP
    • PCI-X
    • ATX or E-ATX
    The first DDR workstation chipset for Xeons, also the first practically overclockable one. Capabilities vary greatly, from large integrated everything E-ATX to pared down ATX. Boards may or may not overclock traditionally.
  • i875P
    • 400/533 MHz FSB
    • Dual-channel DDR333
    • AGP
    • Southbridge SATA RAID
    • CSA Gigabit
    • Possible PCI-X
    • ATX
    The first fully-featured boards for enthusiasts and overclockers. Keeps all of Canterwood's capabilities, but the listed bus speeds are slightly slower only because of slower stock FSBs for Xeons. All boards I know of overclock through the BIOS, and do it quite well :)
  • e7525
    • 800 MHz FSB
    • Dual-channel DDR2-400 or regular DDR400 (depends on board)
    • PCI Express (including potential SLI support)
    • Southbridge SATA RAID
    • CSA Gigabit ?
    • PCI-X
    • ATX or E-ATX
    This is the new chipset designed for Noconas. Early steppings are said to have serious issues- what a common theme /sarcasm- so it may take some time to pan out. The Supermicro X6DAE/8 has SLI support; others might do the same in the future.

What motherboard makers have mobos for Xeons?

• Intel- duh ;)
  • Supermicro- known for stability, they have NO BIOS tweaks
  • Tyan- see Supermicro
  • IWill- known as a real innovator in tweakable Xeon boards or good tweakable SMP in general
  • Asus- provides good, usually tweakable boards that are sometimes cheaper
  • MSI- kind of obscure, haven't seen them around at all but they do make Xeon boards

What specific motherboards are good for overclocking?

• IWill DPI533- e7505
    First Xeon motherboard overclockable from the BIOS. Has an AGP/PCI lock, but held back by chipset. Typical max FSB around 167, can go up to 180+
  • Asus PC-DL- i875P
    "Cheap" board with good overclocking, especially if modded. Can do up to 165ish, 200+ with a mod. Nocona iffy.
  • IWill DH800- i875P with PCI-X
    Great overclocking ability, better power circuitry than PC-DL. Can do 200+, Nocona ready.
  • Asus NCCH-DL- i875P with PCI-X
    Asus' answer to the DH800. Looks like it does every bit as well, but at a lower price.

Last edited:
Other parts of a Xeon SMP System

What power supply should I use?

My guess at a minimum PSU wattage would be around 450 watts. Don't listen to this. Do not skimp on your PSU, it doesn't cost much more and is definitely worth it!.
Here's what to look for:
  • EPS12V support- for some boards this might be optional, but be sure and do it anyway. Extra juice never hurts.
  • 475+ Watts- pretty self-explanatory, make sure you have enough juice, especially for overclocking. Also note that these particular CPU cores can get quite power-hungry.
  • Quality brand- this applies across the board with any system you build. Make sure its a solid brand you can rely on. Antec, Vantec, and especially Fortron come to mind. I had a brief experience with Antec, but unfortunately don't have numbers to tell; in any case, I've had my Fortron 550 Watt EPS12V for over a year, have stressed it in almost every way, and it has remained rock solid. I love it, and not having to worry about PSU issues eliminates a critical link when you're troubleshooting an overclock.

What RAM is good for a Xeon rig?

RAM isn't as critical in a Xeon rig because the FSBs are not sky-high 250+ MHz yet. In any case, watch out for:
  • Registered and/or ECC- some boards require this, some are optional, some don't take it at all. Watch out to see what the particular board's specifications are. Don't use registered ECC RAM to overclock- it adds no tangible stability on these platforms IMHO (unlike 760MPX), is much more expensive, and may hamper your results.
  • Low-latency PC3200- Your FSB won't go *that* far beyond 200 MHz, if you're lucky to get that far. Because of this, you might as well squeeze every bit of performance that you can get. Low-latency PC3200 gives you the flexibility of moderately high speeds while letting you get the most out of the typical 200 MHz with tight timings.
  • Amount- SMP and Xeon power may lead you to do more things at once, or end up doing more resource-intensive things than you did before. It might be worth it, depending on your usage, to invest in a little more RAM than usual to cover for this.
  • Dual-channel- Remember that the dual-channel Xeon chipsets require pairs of DIMMs. I'm not sure, but I don't think they even boot with only one stick of RAM- this may vary by chipset and board as well.

How can I use PCI-X slots?

64 bit or PCI-X slots are not PCI Express, they're an extension of normal PCI typically used for storage adapters and NICs. I'd highly recommend in investing in good storage along with the rest of your rig, because that's the first and most common place in your system where you feel speed or the critical lack thereof. Integrated SATA, like on the ICH5R, is very good, but you might want to consider secondary storage, too, or something like SCSI.

You can also use regular 32-bit PCI cards in these slots, as long as they have a 2nd slot toward the end with the bracket, giving the card 3 tabs overall. However, the whole 64 bit PCI bus will be brought down to 33 MHz speeds, so it'll cripple a high-speed card if you have both the 64 bit and 32 bit cards going at the same time. 32 bit PCI cards in their own 32 bit cards are on a separate bus, and so they're a non-issue in their rightful slots.

What are cooling options for Xeons?

Cooling in general is quite sparse on selection, but what's there performs well:
  • Stock Intel Windtunnel- these are high-quality heatsinks for the stock heatsinks that they are, and more recent ones are better built with a copper base. They cool well, but the stock fan is a massively loud 60mm- its possible to hack an 80mm on, though, to fix this.
  • Dynatron H65- a solidly designed heatsink that looks like it would perform well. 70mm seems easy to mod to 80 or even 92mm. Unfortunately, I haven't come across someone using it yet.
  • Coolermaster E3W-NPTXC-01- Massive heatpipe designed for passive cooling. Should do very well on an overclocked setup with fans.
  • Swiftech MCX-603(V)- the Xeon versions of the typical Swiftech pin-fin heatsink. The non-V is the old style, the V version is the flower style. I can personally attest to the quality of these sinks, they're not flimsy like the Windtunnel and let me cool my overclocked 3.2 GHz almost silently.

Both Swiftech and Danger Den now offer waterblocks for Xeons, too.

Noconas, for some reason, have a different retention system. Swiftech has an MCX-604V with different mounting hardware to cover this, and my DH800 shipped with different hardware for Prestonia and Nocona. I don't know the extent of the differences, but they're there and something to watch for if building for Noconas.

Beware of the spacing between CPUs and the AGP slot. My Swiftechs are almost touching between CPUs, and come very close to the AGP slot. I tried installing a Zalman heatpipe on my video card, but it would not make the tight clearance between the back of the card and the bottom edge of the heatsink. Of course, this depends on the heatsinks you use, but it is a very important point that's easy to overlook.

A note on cases and E-ATX

If, for some reason, you're using an E-ATX motherboard (none of the big overclockers mentioned so far are E-ATX), watch out for cases. Some cases that claim to be E-ATX compliant, such as the Antec mid-towers, *might* have issues with components, like DIMMs, clearing the 5.25 bays. It typically is not a large issue, but may be something to think about and search on further if applicable to you.

Which operating system should I use?

The biggest thing OS-wise for dual Xeons are the 4 total "CPUs" you'll get with HT on each CPU. Windows XP Pro and 2003 support SMP and can properly recognize and run threads for the dual HT CPUs, so these OSes are the best Windows option for Xeons. They'll give you 4 CPU usage graphs in Task Manager, so you can hallucinate about 4-way, too ;). Windows 2000 won't recognize the HT at all, so you'll lose the performance boost that HT could give. Depending on the application, that could mean something.

Anything Linux 2.4.x or greater will be more than fine on Xeons, as they can handle the HT quite well.

Last edited:
Modifications

CPU

The attached pinout is from the Intel PDF on the 533 MHz Prestonia, 25213506.pdf. It's the bottom view, looking at it as you would see the pins when you do any mods.

The 1.65 Volt Mod

The good, overclockable motherboards all have voltage adjustments to my knowledge, but typically top out at 1.6v. Because of the ugly results of overvoltage, 1.65v is the sensible maximum for overclocking. Also, because of the placement of pins, the only real practical CPU volt mod to do on S604 is the one to 1.65v.

What you need to do is join VID0, VID1, and VID2 together using the technique here. These are the pins F3, E3, and D3 on the chart below. Quite simply, its a Northwood wire-wrapping volt mod applied to the Xeon socket.

BSEL Mods

The BSEL mods, as I originally wrote about here, change how the motherboard senses the CPU's default FSB. This lets you fool a motherboard into thinking a 400 MHz FSB CPU is actually a 533 MHz FSB CPU, etc. In addition to this allowing you overclock in a "non-overclockable" board with no BIOS tweaks, it may also allow you to unlock new FSB options. This is particularly the case in the DH800 and perhaps others, where FSBs above 200 MHz are available only if it detects a 200 MHz FSB CPU. With this mod, 533 MHz FSB Prestonias can masquerade as Noconas so that those options will be available.

BSEL0 is AA3 on the chart, BSEL1 is AB3

To make a
  • 400 into a 533, isolate BSEL0
  • 533 into an 800
    • Wire-wrap the BSELs as if in a volt mod
    • Isolate BSEL1

How to isolate a pin:
  • Paint it with a insulator. Nail polish comes to mind because of its thin coat and removability. When you do this with the 533 to 800, make sure you wire-wrapped the two pins first.
  • Find something non-conducting to cover the pin with. I don't know if this would work on the very small pins of S603/4, but you might want to think about it.
  • Snap it off. Don't do this for 533 to 800. I found that the head of a needle works well. Yes, its permanent, but a volt-mod-style wire loop joining the two pins in the socket can set it back again.

The 604th Pin

In case you're wondering, the 604th pin of Socket 604, AE30, does nothing. That means you can snap it off and throw the CPU in a Socket 603 board or do whatever you want ;). Why, I don't know...

Motherboards

DH800
  • The DH800's BIOS only allows up to a 197 FSB with 533 MHz CPUs. Doing the 533->800 BSEL mod will "unlock" BIOS options above 200.

PC-DL
  • The PC-DL User Site is dedicated to everything Asus PC-DL.
    Contributed by disk11.

Attachments

• Socket 604 Pinout.jpg
    Socket 604 Pinout.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 1,594
Last edited:
Xeon Overclocking Results

Post your overclocked Xeon setup so that we can generate a mini-database, kind of like in other CPU threads.

Format: CPU, speed (multi * FSB), voltage, stepping, S-spec, mobo
Cooling and any mods

Example:
2x Xeon 2.4 GHz/533 MHz, @ 3.4 GHz (18 * 189), 1.575v, M0, SL72D, IWill DH800
2x Swiftech MCX-603V, 2x 80mm Panaflo H1A

Member | CPU | Overclocked MHz | Voltage | Stepping Info | Mobo | Cooling/Notes

mateo | 2x 2.4/533 | 3.4 GHz (18*189) | 1.575v | M0, SL72D | IWill DH800 | 2x Swiftech MCX-603V + 80mm Panaflo H1A

Twin_Turbo | 2x 1.6/400 LV | 2.4 GHz (16*150) | 1.3v | C1, SL6GV | Asus PC-DL | 2x Intel Windtunnel

Yitsan | 2x 2.4/533 | 3.31 GHz (16*207) | 1.5v | C1, SL6NQ + D1, SL6VL | Asus PC-DL | 2x Swiftech MCW5002 + Moosemod

DonP | 2x 1.6/400 LV | 2.66 GHz (16 * 166) | 1.55v | C1 | Asus PC-DL | 2x Intel Windtunnel

earlmred | 2x 1.6/400 LV | 2.64 GHz (16 * 165) | 1.6v | C1 | Asus PC-DL | 2x Intel Windtunnel, Moosemod (133-165 MHz), U-Wire Volt Mod

Twin_Turbo | 2x 1.6/400 LV | 2.74 GHz (13 * 210) | 1.3v | C1, SL6XK | Asus PC-DL | 2x Intel Windtunnel

Xeon Benchmarks

In this section, I hope to take specific applications and real-world benchmark them at different set frequencies. For example, I'll write a Photoshop action that uses a lot filters, and time how long it takes at 2.4 GHz, 2.6 GHz, 2.8 GHz, etc. This weekend, I'll cover Photoshop and music encoding. Once a pattern is established, everyone else can chip in with their own applications. Along with showing pure performance, hopefully this can show how much a certain overclock actually benefits performance.
Idea contributed by zachj.

Once this thread is finished (well, it'll always be a work in progress, but once its mostly done) I hope it'll become good sticky material that will answer a lot of people's questions that have popped up recently. Feel free to contribute anything to the thread, whether its anything extra or just correcting wrong stuff or bad explaining on my part. The more people that work on it, the better it will be.

Last edited:
Looking good so far :) Should be very nice sticky material when done.

I am looking into getting a new dually next year, so I will keep my eye on this thread :)

Thanks for the support :)

Real life might delay it a little bit, but it'll get there.

Good Job I wonder if ya cn place it in one big post instead of severall ..? ? ?

2x Xeon 1.6 GHz/400 MHz, @ 2.40 GHz (16 * 150), 1.3v, C1, SL6GV, Asus PC-DL
2x Stock Intel Wind Tunnels (2x CoolerMaster HeatPipes waiting to be installed)

I have another system in progress that I will set Vcore to 1.6 and see what I can get.
2x Swiftech MCX603-V

:clap:Needs to be a sticky:clap:

Actually keeping several posts like you did, each with a differant sub focus, would be easier to maintain.

Last edited:
Twin_Turbo, which Coolermaster heatpipes are you referring to? I can't find any that fit S603/4

I've booted my pc-dl at 3.6

specs...

2.4 m0's w/ 1mb cache, wind tunnels, 1.525 to 1.55 volt mod(still only showin up as 1.5)

boots up, just my cdrom is busted 'n I'm at college so I dont' have anythin to swap out. I'll update when I get an os installed to test stability

Is there any way you could provide some benchmarks of respective popular setups? I've decided that if the 1.6LVs come back into stock, I'ma' take the plunge. I've been jawing about it for a year now, and I figure at 119 dollars, I can pay for it with what I make selling my books back at the end of this semester ;) But I want to know if there's a significant difference between the C1 1.6s, which don't seem to be capable of anything over 2.85 (with luck), and the 2.4 D1s and M0s at around 3.3. Of course the D1s and M0s are going to score higher, but I'd like to see how high. Is it worth it to save the money?

Benchies I'm curious about are, logically, what's important to me, but feel free to add whatever you want. I'm looking for video encoding scores (real-life test, not synthetic), and I guess that'll do it.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I think a sticky on such subjects ought to have benchmarks of the systems it discusses. Of course I'm not suggesting we go back and make them for every dual board in existence, but from now on, it might be a convenient thing to add . . . The AMD duallie sticky could use them too, I think . . . Or if not benchies, at least some real-life numbers based on user experience (FPS while encoding, PPW in F@H, etc.).

/incoherent drivel . . . it's late, I'm tired. Going to bed

Z

mateo said:
Twin_Turbo, which Coolermaster heatpipes are you referring to? I can't find any that fit S603/4
They are the E3W-NPTXC-01. I bought them with a pair of Swiftech 603s from somebody at 2cpu.com.
There is a thread over there about these HeatSinks
Here is a review at ctechnet.com

Hey, I remember you :)
Those heatpipes work great with just a small amount of air going through them
I have (1) 80mm fan running at 1800 rpm cooling both of them.
Temps idling in Windows are 31-35

zachj, that's an excellent idea :clap:. However, I think I'll limit it to real-world programs, as I find things such as Sandra absolutely meaningless. We need to come up with some rough way to standardize the actual measurements and need to compile a complete list of what programs will be tested. Here's an idea:

LAME/Ogg/FLAC music encoding
Some video encoding (I'm fuzzy here, don't know much about it)
Archive handling, zipping, etc.
Some rendering
Photoshop
Folding

I'm short of ideas now...I'm not sure how/if to include gaming because it doesn't benefit from SMP, is heavily skewed by the video card, and we have an idea from equivalent P4 benches. Anything else needed?

Edit: on further thought, it might be better to do it on a few systems run at different clock speeds to get an idea of how performance scales, rather than getting a flood of benchmarks from every configuration. Still, something needs to be done.

My thoughts on video encoding are to take a chapter from a movie everyone has (or try to, I guess . . . A chapter of the same length, anyway), encode it in DivX or XVid using 2-pass (that's what most people use, I gather), and give average FPS and time taken to complete.

I don't know if it would be beneficial to include AMD duallie figures as well, for comparison purposes (and we'd do likewise in their stickies, of course), but I personally think it would be nice.

Z

Member | CPU | Overclocked MHz | Voltage | Stepping Info | Mobo | Cooling/Notes

DonP | 2x 1.6LV's | 2.66 GHz (16*166) | 1.55v | C1 | Asus PC-DL | 2x Intel Solid Copper WindTunnels

It might be my memory holding me back (1Ghz of Kingston PC2700 Hypermax). It runs at 2-5-2-2 1T. I've tried lowering the settings manually and doing the jumpers to 200, but no boot. I may bump the vDIMM voltage before giving up hope.

mateo,

Are you sure C1 cores can hit 3.2Ghz? Reason I'm asking is that I've been looking at people with the 1.6 LV C1's, and most are topping out at 2.8Ghz, with volt mods. I wish we could have a database of Xeon steppings and how high each stepping got.

I remember back around the DP400/533 days, when OCing Xeons was first being explored, that there were mentions of the 2.4/400 C1's reaching in the lower 3 GHz, with 3.2 seeming to be the limit. I figure that it is *possible* to get a C1 up to 3.2 with good cooling, voltage, and chips. It may be that the 1.6 LV's are bottom-performing chips of their stepping, but I haven't seen that happen much yet with Xeons.

Edit: Yitsan has a C1 at 3.33 GHz, so it is possible.

Back