• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermalright HR-03 - x1k Owners Rejoice!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Finally got it installed after spending 2 days carefully removing the Arctic Cooler X2 from my Crossfire setup. The thermal adhesive tape used in that heatsink setup on the memory are a ***** to remove. Had to use an xacto knife and slice through the adhesive.

P1000329.jpg

P1000330.jpg

P1000331.jpg

P1000333.jpg

P1000336.jpg

P1000338.jpg

P1000339.jpg

P1000345.jpg

P1000347.jpg

P1000367.jpg

My previous configuration:

Arctic Cooling X2 on 2 Sapphire X1900XT 512mb in crossfire mode:
TIM: Arctic Silver Ceramique
idle: 56C
load (2h of Oblivion): 78C

Thermalright HR03 (passive without fans blowing on it)
TIM: Arctic Silver AS5
idle: 45C
load (2h of Oblivion): 67C

Thermalright HR03 (with 2 S-Flex 120mm fans blowing from side of case)
TIM: Arctic Silver AS5
idle: 38C
load (2h of Oblivion): 58C

Pro: this heatsink rocks! Thermalright comes through again. :beer:

Caveat: You have to double check and make sure you seat the heatsink flat on the GPU. Don't use the square rubber padding that came with the setup. I initially used it and it kept the heatsink from making full contact. When I took it off, it worked perfectly.

Great pics. Now I wish I'd bought the cheapest card without the special cooler so I'd have an excuse to buy this. Maybe I'll just get it anyway.:drool:

Oooh! I want! What's the cheapest place for this?

EDit: Alright...$69 shipped w/ a Scythe SFLEX E 120 from sidewinder. Needs to get here now!!

Last edited:
very nice review! I wonder if this beast + a 120mm fan will be enough to cool the upcomming monster dx10 cards...

redrumy3 said:
Wow i need money to buy this !!!! ughhh

did u try mounting it other way?

There's not enough room to mount the crossfire master card in the 'frontside' configuration. In that setup, it takes up a little over one extra motherboard slot. I probably could have done it for the secondary x1900xt card. There was enough flow from my side mounted fans across the heatsink so I opted to keep it in this configuration.

Thats what im hoping for too. This looks to be a massive heatsink that shouldnt have problems cooling DX10 cards, lets just hope the bolt patterns are the same and we should be good.

Jod said:
Oooh! I want! What's the cheapest place for this?

EDit: Alright...$69 shipped w/ a Scythe SFLEX E 120 from sidewinder. Needs to get here now!!

You might want to check to see how much room you have between the primary graphics board and the CPU. It's no problem without the fan, but if you look at my last picture, there's not much room left, even for a 25mm fan. However, there would probably be more room if I opted for an ultra-90/120 instead of my current xp120 on my CPU.

You can also mount the HR03 completely on the GPU side of the card. It will take up a bit over 1 extra slot. It won't be feasible for crossfire configuration, but for single card setup, it'll be just fine.

TTP said:
You can also mount the HR03 completely on the GPU side of the card. It will take up a bit over 1 extra slot. It won't be feasible for crossfire configuration, but for single card setup, it'll be just fine.

That's exactly what I'll be doing. I'd like to put a Tuniq on the Allendale too, but that may require a P5B Deluxe to be added in the mix.

So the Accelero's good times to remove, eh? I suppose I could loop a 3D2K3 nature demo w/ 6XAA @ 1680x1050 for an hour before ripping it out and pulling off.

Do you notice any temperature difference between the two different mounting configurations? I only ask because heatpipes work with gravity, and it seems like having the heatpipes pointed upwards might work a little better than downward.

Thanks for the pics though, that was a great first look! :thup:

thermalright = ownage

for air cooling at least. Nothing beats their perfromance, I think we can all say that they make the best heatsinks.

gvblake22 said:
Do you notice any temperature difference between the two different mounting configurations? I only ask because heatpipes work with gravity, and it seems like having the heatpipes pointed upwards might work a little better than downward.

Thanks for the pics though, that was a great first look! :thup:

I'll try changing the configuration on the second card to see if there's a temp difference, but I'd doubt it.

I hope it works just as well upside down. I'd prefer some direct air on the ramsinks.

Back