• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermalright HR-03 - x1k Owners Rejoice!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Can you possibly test your temps with one 120mm fan/ two 90mm fans directly on top of the cooler? I want to see how much further you can push the temps down, I might be getting one.

enz660 said:
Can you possibly test your temps with one 120mm fan/ two 90mm fans directly on top of the cooler? I want to see how much further you can push the temps down, I might be getting one.

There's not enough room to mount any fan in crossfire configuration.

I swapped the heatsink to gpu side on my secondary card and they both show the same temp. Measured using an infrared temp meter.

TTP said:
There's not enough room to mount any fan in crossfire configuration.

I swapped the heatsink to gpu side on my secondary card and they both show the same temp. Measured using an infrared temp meter.

take out one card just for this test then....pleeeease? for meeee? ;) lol

Switched the second card to GPU side configuration. Also added a Panaflo 56.7cfm 92x92x25 fan on it.

idle: 41C
load (after 2h of Oblivion): 56C

P1000368-1.jpg

P1000369-1.jpg

P1000370-1.jpg

P1000371-1.jpg

P1000372-1.jpg

P1000373-1.jpg

P1000375.jpg

P1000376.jpg

enz660 said:
thermalright = ownage

for air cooling at least. Nothing beats their perfromance, I think we can all say that they make the best heatsinks.

QFT.... thermalright freakin pwns...

WOWOWOWOWOW who woulda ever thunk of a passivly cooled x1900xt running COOLER than a activly cooled one being cooled by an accelero... and accelero's arnt half bad.... thats just bloddy amazing... i wonder what kinda temps i would get out of an HR-03 compared to my VF900 on my 7900gt....

gvblake22 said:
Do you notice any temperature difference between the two different mounting configurations? I only ask because heatpipes work with gravity, and it seems like having the heatpipes pointed upwards might work a little better than downward.
They work with capillary action, not gravity so they can often be positioned where they seen to defy gravity and still work.

YES! Thank you for the pictures! That last one was exactly one I've been looking for. So this thing defintely takes up a full two extra slots in addition to the card's slot, eh?

gvblake22 said:
YES! Thank you for the pictures! That last one was exactly one I've been looking for. So this thing defintely takes up a full two extra slots in addition to the card's slot, eh?

if you opt to attach a fan, then yes, it will take up 2 slots if you setup in GPU-side configuration.

THANK YOU!!!! I cannot wait for this beast any longer! Shipped from Indy on the 12th. PLEASE get here manana!!

TTP said:
if you opt to attach a fan, then yes, it will take up 2 slots if you setup in GPU-side configuration.
Wait, wait...
From that last picture you posted, it looks like the FANLESS cooler takes up two full slots in addition to the card. Is this observation correct? How many slots does the cooler without a fan occupy?

gvblake22 said:
Wait, wait...
From that last picture you posted, it looks like the FANLESS cooler takes up two full slots in addition to the card. Is this observation correct? How many slots does the cooler without a fan occupy?

there is no fan on thoes cards.... it takes up 3 slots total... 1 for card 2 for cooler... and if you wanted to add a fan just take out the pci slot covers and put a 120mm fan behind the 2 cards so it will exaust the heat out the back... and if you think about it every other fanned cooler like the VF700 and VF900 has taken up 3 slots (card + cooler + space for fan to actually breathe)

gvblake22 said:
Wait, wait...

The graphics card takes up 2 slots. Even if you take off the stock cooler it's still 2 slots because of the bracket. In either configuration, GPU side or sandwiched, you will take up an additional slot next to the card. Add a fan and you'll need 4 slots.

My toy is awaiting my arrival at home. I picked up a Vantec SP-FC70-BL Spectrum Blue Fan Card from Fry's the other day and stuck it in the case. It lowered temps of the GPU from 81C to about 75C, but the most significant difference was the system temps. They went from 55C to 45C. I believe the temp diode must be located right in front of the acceleros exhaust, so it's probably not a big deal. It made me feel better tho. That Vantec cooler on low sounds louder than the 5 Scythe SFLEX E's currently taking up home in the Stacker. It should be nice to have only the Scythe's consistent noise level again.

got mine and mounted a Arctic Cooling 92x25mm fan on there - full load tops out at 48ºC, and it idles at around 35ºC

WOOT! Thermalright takes the cake again! :bday:

omerta_03.jpg

omerta_04.jpg

omerta_05.jpg

its the same 4 hole mounting for 6, 7, and 8 series nvidia cards (cept for a few in between)

My previous configuration:

Arctic Cooling X2 on 2 Sapphire X1900XT 512mb in crossfire mode:
TIM: Arctic Silver Ceramique
idle: 56C
load (2h of Oblivion): 78C

Thermalright HR03 (passive without fans blowing on it)
TIM: Arctic Silver AS5
idle: 45C
load (2h of Oblivion): 67C

Thermalright HR03 (with 2 S-Flex 120mm fans blowing from side of case)
TIM: Arctic Silver AS5
idle: 38C
load (2h of Oblivion): 58C

Pro: this heatsink rocks! Thermalright comes through again.

Those temps are amazing! From the looks of it your mobo doesn't have double spacing between your pci-express slots, right? Neither does my mobo, and I've wondered how that would effect temps when I get a master card. If you can get an 11 degree load temp decrease running passively or a 20 degree decrease from a side fan though, that's a HUGE upgrade!

If I don't decide to just go water cooled, I may have to look into this heatsink. As of now (well, during warmer weather, its fairly cold now,) my x1900xt (with the iceq3 cooler) will hit 60-62 degrees with the fan at 100%, which is loud. If my card gets into the 70's it will lock up my pc- this only happens when ati tray buggers out and doesn't spin up my fan properly, though. I guess it is more sensitive to temp because I have it oc'ed :shrug:

Back