• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Thinking about upgrading, not sure if worth it.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fatal0E

Registered
Current specs...

Core 2 Quad 9450 @ 3.21ghz
8GB DDR2 1066
Asus P5Q-E mainboard
XFX Radeon 7950 3GB
Play at 1920x1200

I have the itch to upgrade but I am not having trouble playing any games and was hoping to hear from anyone that may have done a similar upgrade. I just game, no Photoshop or anything like that.

Would I feel a speed difference moving to a new CPU? I was looking at the i5 3570k, but I am leaning more towards an FX 8350 for the extra cores since I usually have garbage running in the background. I will overclock them on air.

Appreciate the opinions!

If you are having no trouble running games at your preferred res and setting, why bother? Might as well wait for Haswell and see what it has to offer. I have an LGA2011 and an AM3+ setup, with a 3rd being a C2Q X9650 @3.7ghz + HD6990 and there is no game that I play with it that I cannot max out @1080P (well, Metro 2033 is the only exception thus far) and have easily playable framerate. My advice is to wait....

It's such a huge upgrade you would notice it right away. It's so ridiculously fast you will giggle every time you use it, for at least a week anyways..

Might be the wisest move to up grade, without spending too much money would be a 256gb SSD in that C2Q set up. It would sure help with loading them games etc, and make his whole rig more quicker. And then just wait till the next big up grade from Intel or AMD! AJ. :shrug: :thup:

1, http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5QE/#specifications

Looks like he could run a SSD with this Motherboard, like the copper heat sinks!

Last edited:
I'm running the FX8350 and I'm very satisfied with it. Just finished Hitman Absolution great game by the way. I play mostly FPS games and don't play online. Ther are CPU intensive games that don't play very well on the FX series chips but there are games that play better on the FX. It would really depend on what games you were looking to play.
Ajay57 has a thread goin in this forum http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=724890 Check out the youtube link in his first post. In metro 2033 the FX was topping the i7 3930k in FPS.
But like I said depends on what you are playing.
Happy hunting :bday:

Could not shake the itch to tinker. Ordered FX 8320, Asus Sabertooth R2.0 990FX, and 2x8GB GSkill Sniper memory.

You'll need a very good cooling solution to get the most out of that chip they suck alot of juice and get very hot. :mad:

Not forgetting he needs a very good VRM and Power Phases Section as well!!!! AJ.

I like it.

Been playing Natural Selection 2 lately, framerates late game went from 35-40 to 80-90.

YDerizv.jpg.png

CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus
Asus Sabertooth 990fx

Back