• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking About a System Upgrade - Would Like Inputs/Opinions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
OK - I've been doing some homework:

I started with the assumption (key-word) that my 5820K was getting long in the tooth. I've looked at a couple of options:

1. Upgrade from a X99 to X299 platform.
- Not interested in 100 or 300 series
- Not interested in AMD (I'm an Intel guy)
- Would use my old "The Sith" components to update "The Little Folder"
- For this option, I chose the following components:
---> MB: MSI Enthusiast Gaming Intel X299 ($365 on Amazon) - I like the looks and the features
---> CPU: Intel Core i9-7920X ($1,110 on Amazon) - 12 Core/24 Threads...expect 4.3 GHz Overclock (like 5820K)
---> Memory:Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3600 ($455 on Amazon) - Pretty RGB colors
---> SSD: Samsung 960 PRO Series - 1TB PCIe NVMe - M.2 ($621 on Amazon)
---> OS: Windows 10 Pro ($189 on Amazon)
---> PSU/GPU/Cooler/Case: Same as "The Sith" below
---> Grand Total: $2,551

2. Upgrade just the CPU to Intel Core i7-5960X ($1,125 on Amazon) - 8 core/16 Threads...expect 4.1 GHz+ Overclock
---> 33% more cores/threads than 5820K
---> 5% slower potential on Overclock than 5820K
---> Current MB supports
---> More PCIe lanes
---> No Pretty RGB memory
---> Same Haswell-E platform as 5820K

3. Upgrade just the CPU to Intel Core i7-6900K ($1,019 on Amazon) - 8 Core/16 Threads...expect 4.3 GHz Overclock
---> 33% more cores/threads than 5820K
---> Pretty darn close Overclock than 5820K
---> Current MB supports
---> More PCIe lanes
---> No Pretty GB memory
---> Newer Broadwell-E platform (additional speed gains in IPC)

4. Upgrade just CPU to Intel Core i7-6950X ($1,455 on Amazon) - 10 Core/20 Threads...expect 4.1+ GHz Overclock
---> 66% more cores/threads than 5820K
---> 5% slower potential on Overclock than 5820K
---> Current MB supports
---> More PCIe lanes
---> No Pretty RGB memory
---> Newer Broadwell-E platform (additional speed gains in IPC)

I am leaning towards option 3 or 4...with the only difference being price (hey - what's an extra $436 among friends???)

I would like your inputs/opinions on trying to sell me or talk me out of buying a $1,455 processor upgrade for my X99 platform. The reviews I saw place the performance of the i7-6900K (8 Core/16 Threads) at or near the same level of performance as the i7-7820K (8 Core/16 Threads).

https://www.techspot.com/review/1457-ryzen-7-vs-core-i7-octa-core/

So - therefore the i7-6950X would hold it's own.

So - $1,455 for a decent speed upgrade (just CPU), or $2,551 for a tad more.

Thanks for the inputs! :thup:

X299 has better throughput and higher OC potential than Broadwell x99 have a 7900x here that runs 4.5 on a decent AIO stable. 5960X there are some really nice samples like mine which hit 4.7 less than 1.3V (been a while)

The real question is... what are you doing with the system? That tells you if more threads or more speed is better.

The real question is... what are you doing with the system? That tells you if more threads or more speed is better.

Good question, but I have answered this many times in this forum. I game, but I also do a lot of CPU intensive computational personal projects (hence why no 100 or 300 series chipsets).

I will make use of the cores...so a 5% or so difference in "max" overclock potential for a given CPU is not that big a deal.

Basically the question is to spend ~$2,600 on a new X299 system, or spend approximately half that on a CPU upgrade for my X99 system.

Good question, but I have answered this many times in this forum. I game, but I also do a lot of CPU intensive computational personal projects (hence why no 100 or 300 series chipsets).

I will make use of the cores...so a 5% or so difference in "max" overclock potential for a given CPU is not that big a deal.

Basically the question is to spend ~$2,600 on a new X299 system, or spend approximately half that on a CPU upgrade for my X99 system.

No time to search back through post history to find it and I've helped so many people with it that I don't remember everyone's usage.
If your software will utilize 20 threads, get 20 threads. If it'll utilize 16, get 16. Etc.

Might you be better off with a Threadripper 1950X with its 32 threads? AMD guy or not, it could benefit you.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/11697/the-amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-and-1920x-review/8

Last edited:
I would just go for the core count there is not much difference in performance from the X99 to the x299 and some game run worse on the x299.

JrClocker, I would go with your thinking and probably opt for option 4, funds permitting. It should inoculate you from the 'upgrade itch' for much longer and give you the best improvement per dollar.

I'd go with just the cpu upgrade and wait till there is a better performance increase, I still game on a 4790K and still see no reason to change.
the only reason I'm taking my 6800K rig out of service is that I have out grown it's performance in rendering. get some more threads and pcie lanes and play with nvme drives while you wait for a performance increase that is not baby steps.

No time to search back through post history to find it and I've helped so many people with it that I don't remember everyone's usage.
If your software will utilize 20 threads, get 20 threads. If it'll utilize 16, get 16. Etc.

Might you be better off with a Threadripper 1950X with its 32 threads? AMD guy or not, it could benefit you.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/11697/the-amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-and-1920x-review/8
+1...thanks for sharing for us who don't recall every user and for those who may not have seen it in the past.

I'd go option 1 if your stuff can use the threads. Or TR if you can tolerate AMD or want to try something new. Its a good time to get into X299 as there may be an upgrade path for it in a couple years as well. Just depends on how much cash you really want to spend. It's up to you. ;)

Back