• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would appreciate some suggestions on a new CPU MB combo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Either looks fine. I thought you were wanting a single tower cooler similar to the one you had before for a budget of $20-30, hence the suggestion I made. The two the rep listed are better (and more expensive) coolers that would be well suited to the 12700k. Double the towers, double the heat pipes, double the fans, double the cost. You can see in a similar review video below, although in this case the coolers were tested under a higher 198w load, which is representative of the maximum stock performance of the 12700k, and you can see the assassin cooler performed well.

That's A source, but your source is the mfg website to confirm.

They've said what I said earlier, thermalright.
EarthDog it's been a while since I have looked at the thread so to be honest without reading all the posts I'm not sure what exactly you are quoting me on. I can see it is about thermalright so I assume it was aboutt he cooler I have on my current system. I thought I was using the Thermalright Ultra-90 but yesterday as I was going through my Plastic containers that I store all my extra harsware and boxes for current hardware I noticed that the Ultra-90 was in the box, I saw that I had the Cooler master Hyper 212 Evo installed on my CPU, surprised me!!!

Not that any of this matters now since I did buy the Thermmalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Air Cooler. I believe that this was the Thermalright cooler you suggested.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I was responding to whatever you were talking about then, bud... I can't help you here. All I was saying is that I don't believe newegg/amazon specs blindly as they can make mistakes. If you look at the MFG's website for your cooler, you can be certain it's the right specs.

I suggested....

Thermalright Ultra 120 EX REV.4 ($42 in white)​

..Zerilious I think mentioned the assassin. :)

I have to admit, as much as you're worried about fitment, I wasn't expecting you go with some big arse double stack cooler...lol. Glad you got one that works, period. :)

Last edited:
It looks like it's 2x-x16, 2x-x1, 2xPCI. Would technically work with the listed expansion cards assuming the USB card is x1 or even PCI.

Also found this 6700k if you are really set on i7 over i5.
i7 6700K
Good call.. I missed the x1 slot in the middle.

Who knows what the USB card is, can't get info out the dewd for his own betterment, lol.
Folding Addict, Thanks for the info on the slots for the MB I selected and the suggested CPU link. I already purchased my CPU. I bought the Intel Core i7-12700KF Desktop Processor 12 (8P+4E) Cores up to 5.0 GHz Unlocked LGA1700 600 Series Chipset 125W

EarthDog, I realize I was suck on more slots so I could use my USB card and I'm sorry you feel like I wasn't giving you the info you needed so you could help me. The fact is I'm nowhere close in my knowledge to yours and sometimes I get confused what you are asking, not to mention there are several replies about different things each time I come here. I've realized what you were trying to do and I will not be using my USB card in the new build. The MB I bought has all I need. My apoligies for not understanding what you were asking me and for the confusion.

This question is for anyone who wants to reply and I do appreciate the input.
I was watching a YouTuube video on a build with the Asus Prime Z690-A MB and at 5:02 of the video he is installing something that I have never used and not sure what it is, I put the exact time so it would be easy to scrub to that point without having to watch the whole things. I'm hoping that you guys can tell me what it is and what it is used for. The YouTube link is here.

Once again I know just enough to build a system without all the background knowledge of each piece of hardware. This is why I have been a member here for many years, I trust your opinions and suggestions and base all my decisions on your replies. I think each and every one of you who have helped me this time and in the past.

This question is for anyone who wants to reply and I do appreciate the input.
I was watching a YouTuube video on a build with the Asus Prime Z690-A MB and at 5:02 of the video he is installing something that I have never used and not sure what it is, I put the exact time so it would be easy to scrub to that point without having to watch the whole things. I'm hoping that you guys can tell me what it is and what it is used for.
1. Where's the video/link?
2. You can link the exact time you want to start the video at.............see image below

2.jpg

EDIT: I see you added it now.......

At 5:02, that's M.2 socket and is fast storage (it's an SSD).

Last edited:
Refresh... see my whole post above, please.

I would also like your opinion on this. I bought this becasue it looked like a easier cpu holder that the stock one. what do you think?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BG5NSHL4?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
That's not for you, bud. You don't need that, nor the complication that comes from installing it. I promise, it's not easier to remove the stock lockdown, mount this, then the CPU. Compare to drop 'CPU in and close latch', lol.

That's not for you, bud. You don't need that, nor the complication that comes from installing it.
Thanks for your reply, I refreshed and saw your comment about what it was. I had a feeling that what it was but wasn't sure. I agree I don't need that.

Not sure which parts you're talking about.......

You DO want an M.2 storage drive like that eventually. PCIe/NVMe-based M.2 models are a lot faster than standard SATA SSDs (like your 850 Evo), especially on sustained transfers. Like HDD went to SSD, SSDs are now going to M.2 socket-based drives of which they are a lot faster than the SATA limted SSD you have.

The second thing, the anti-bending bracket, you don't need/want and doesn't make anything easier. :)

Not sure which parts you're talking about.......

You DO want an M.2 storage drive like that eventually. PCIe/NVMe-based M.2 models are a lot faster than standard SATA SSDs (like your 850 Evo), especially on sustained transfers. Like HDD went to SSD, SSDs are now going to M.2 socket-based drives of which they are a lot faster than the SATA limted SSD you have.

The second thing, the anti-bending bracket, you don't need/want and doesn't make anything easier. :)
I was asking about both, I bought the anti-bending CPU bracket but won't use it, it was only $10. Thanks for explaining about the M2, right now since I don't need fast transfers I will use the current HDDs and the 850 Evo SSD I have now. It's good to know about the M2 for futrue use when I need to replace any of my drives.

That's not for you, bud. You don't need that, nor the complication that comes from installing it. I promise, it's not easier to remove the stock lockdown, mount this, then the CPU. Compare to drop 'CPU in and close latch', lol.
I just want to revisit this topic with you and whomever wants to reply. It was me asking about the product below.

I get it clear that you think I don't need it, you said,
You don't need that, nor the complication that comes from installing it.
I watched many YouTube video from the same guy what one of you posted a video of his about coolers, after watching 2 or 3 of the top YouTubers on PC Building he is considered by most of those Youtubers as one of the best. He posted this video, I'm wondering if you have seen it EarthDog? NOT trying to say you are wrong I just am in the middle of 2 people who know they stuff saying different things about the new type of CPU hold that replace the clamp down. Here is his video, I would like give me some details about the complications that come from installing it.

I've seen it. Just saying you don't NEED it. ;)

I have never run one and temps are fine for my uses with a 360 AIO. If you want to lower temps a few degrees and believe that it's worth the additional time and effort to remove the existing latch and install this one, then go for it!

You didn't understand me........there aren't any complications after install... installing it is risky. Go to 15:20 in the video and watch that section until the end and see what I'm saying.. "it's easy, but plenty of opportunity to damage things.....". Also, gotta torque screwdriver? Just the time and $ investment aren't worth it for most users. It's not an easier install when you have to take apart your motherboard compared to just flipping a latch down.

EDIT: It's akin to putting a parachute on a stock Honda Civic.. sure it will slow it down faster, but WHY when it doesn't need to slow down faster in the first place? :)

Last edited:
I've seen it. Just saying you don't NEED it. ;)

I have never run one and temps are fine for my uses with a 360 AIO. If you want to lower temps a few degrees and believe that it's worth the additional time and effort to remove the existing latch and install this one, then go for it!

What I meant by complications is the time and effort to remove the existing latch and install this one doesn't strike me as worth your time and effort. Go to 15:28 in the video.. "it's easy, but plenty of opportunity to damage things.....". Also, gotta torque screwdriver? Just the time and $ investment aren't worth it for most users.

EDIT: It's akin to putting a parachute on a sotck Civic.. sure it will slow it down faster, but WHY when it doesn't need it? :)
With all due respect EarthDog, I've taken a lot of time and effort in getting different views on my build, a lot from you and I take everything you say to heart. But a pattern I've noticed is, you are trying to save me money by saying I shouldn't get more than I need. Or better than I need. I appreciate you trying to help me build this system and save me money, I really do. Take money out of it.. just on parts alone excluding over paying for things I DON'T Need

did I make any mistaked on chosing quality parts and accessories?? not asking to question you EarthDog, it's just that you posted the most on this thread replying to my questions.

Keep in mind when I do anything I try my best to get the best and never look at what it will cost me, then I make a decision and live with it.

Sure. Although this is not really a money issue (you need to buy a torque screwdriver now), take money out of it and I still wouldn't suggest you do it from our dealings across several threads. :)

While it is 'easy' (4 screws) there's a high potential to damage the socket pins upon install or not do it correctly and get the benefits if you don't have the right tool (torque screwdriver) to tighten it down. I will admit, and respectfully, it's more because I am assuming what your mechanical abilities are from our discussions in your threads. Again, go to ~15:20 in your video and listen to the guy... is this really for you? If you're up for it, go for it! Just be careful!

Sure. Although this is not really a money issue (you need to buy a torque screwdriver now), take money out of it and I still wouldn't suggest you do it from our dealings across several threads. :)

While it is 'easy' (4 screws) there's a high potential to damage the socket pins upon install or not do it correctly and get the benefits if you don't have the right tool (torque screwdriver) to tighten it down. I will admit, and respectfully, it's more because I am assuming what your mechanical abilities are from our discussions in your threads. Again, go to ~15:20 in your video and listen to the guy... is this really for you? If you're up for it, go for it! Just be careful!
Thank you, I have all the tool I would need. I think this would hold the CPU better ( more evenly) than the Intel lever holder and I will be very careful to not over tight the 4 screws.

It will, but even I don't use one... just not worth the time, effort, risk, or benefit for ME to install it. :)

It will, but even I don't use one... just not worth the time, effort, risk, or benefit for ME to install it. :)
I understand, we each have to make the choice that works for us. The video about how to Intel clamp and how uneven the pressure is on the CPU is what made me deccide to use the bracket. I had already bought it and wasn't going to use it after listening to your advice. After seeing a different view and your expanded answer the time, effort and risk to me makes more sense to be careful and use the bracket.

Thanks again for all your help !!!!

I watched the video as well. I like his videos, I find them entertaining and I think that they use pretty good testing methodology (although others with actual experience testing and reviewing hardware may be more qualified than me to say if this is the case - at least they are pretty transparent with it if you take the time to dig through and watch the videos). They used to write up a lot of videos in articles, but I'm not seeing this lately (and why should they when view get them money). I miss the write ups for reference though.

In the beginning of the video (before showing the pressure tests) he emphasizes that this will have most impact in extreme cooling (this usually means pouring liquid nitrogen into a large copper pot mounted to the CPU, in order to overclock and benchmark GHz over the stock values. I believe as you have stated no interest in overclocking it was easy to recommend, as most would not recommend it unless someone was very interested in overclocking.

In summary:
Is it better? yes.
Can you void your warranty and break your parts? yes.
Can it cause complications that require additional trouble shooting, loss of memory channels, difficulty booting? yes.

If the time and risk is worth 7c for you then go for it.

I think we both hesitate to recommend a risky modification that is not necessary to anyone who is asking for simple build advice. If you choose to do it, that is a-ok, but if you have problems with it, I would hate to have been the person saying, "yeah do it, it will be great." Same goes for other modifications like lapping and deliding. Will they help, yes. Are they necessary? Nope. Should the average user do it, especially if not planning to overclock? Nope

I think for $35 it's more difficult to justify cost to performance wise, when simply spending that same money on a more powerful cooler might garner you more performance (not factoring in tools). On the other hand, for $10, not counting tool cost, it's a more reasonable expense. I still think a $40 dual tower is a better choice than a $20 single tower, price to performance wise, but when comparing a $40 cooler to a $90+ cooler, it seems to make more sense (again given tool cost and risk are not factors). I think the conclusion of the video had a very similar perspective but also was reviewing at a $35 price.

I also want to clarify as ED mentioned needing a torque screwdriver a couple of times, and you assured him that you had the proper tools. It occurs to me that the words torx and torque could easily be confused, especially since it appears that the ILM itself actually uses a torx head. So not only do you need a torque screw driver, but a torx bit torque screw driver. I'm assuming you probably understand this but since the two words are so similar I wanted to make sure it was clear.

At the end of the day, it's your system and you get to do what you want with it. What matters is that you're satisfied. I think it has been a bit challenging to land with recommendations for this build because you started wanting to buy used parts from 5+ years ago, so it's hard to get out of the paradigm of doing the least necessary to get the capture card working well, without wasting time, money and energy on dated hardware. It has been tricky for me (I don't want to speak for anyone else) to figure out what you what, what you feel like you may need or don't need for the system. But that's okay, from my perspective we come here because we enjoy posting about hardware and having a community that can help people. You're the one spending money, you're the one using the system, and ultimately you're the one who is responsible for purchasing and assembling the hardware. What matters is that you're satisfied. We're just along for the ride. In other words, our advice is just that, take it or leave it and any miscues are nothing to worry about. I certainly don't feel offended if you like my advice or not, I just hope you like your system and hang around to share your experiences with us.

I think it has been a bit challenging to land with recommendations for this build because you started wanting to buy used parts from 5+ years ago, so it's hard to get out of the paradigm of doing the least necessary to get the capture card working wel
Thank you for the detailed explaination, now I have to reconsider with both you and Ed giving more detailed answers. As I watched the video I wasn't concerned about saving 7c I was more concerned with parts of the cpu not having the same pressure that can cause problems with the CPU.

One thing I want to correct you on, NEVER did I say or imply I wanted used parts, I may have started out wanting 6th or 7th Gen to make the capture card to work. As you guys gave more advice my view changed and the cost went up so I decided to just go all the way and build a more current system, not the top of the line but as close as possible. As for "used parts" I even posted that I buy nothing from Ebay, meaning nothing new or used. I think you might mean older gens rather than "used"

I know this has been a tough thread to follow and keep up with but the reason is when I was given advice I looked at it and ended buying better than I needed and what you guys suggested. This may seen that I was ignoring your suggestions but I was taking your suggestions and buying better even if I would never be able to tell the difference.

Whenever I build a system I am loyal to brands and to this forum it's just how I am. The more info I get the more my mind changes as to what is best for me. I hope either of you were offended that I dind't get what you suggested but that was never my intention. I wanted to get suggestions and then I would consider the advice and then decide what I felt was best for me.

As I told Ed who I assume is EarthDog, I truly appreciate all the advice I was given and I got all the parts. I just need to wait until I am ready to build it. Both my wife and I have some health issues to attend to so depending on how that goes will determine when I build it. When it is done I will report back or if something is not working I will come back for advice.

Thanks again for both of your inputs and anyone else who posted a reply.

Hello again,
I have a question about my new build ( haven't started yet, wife had some health issues ) I have a surgery in July so hoping to build it in June. I have all my parts in a box waiting.

My question is, I have a SSD for my OS and then I ahve 3 regular HD's for all my data. I have drive D,E and F, drive D is the main HD that I save all my data to and then using GoodSync I copy all of D to E and F which gives me 3 exact copies of all my data. I do this just for piece of mind.

How can I make sure that when I install the HD's they stay the same drive letters? I was thinking that the way things work the OS is drive C if I don't connect any other drive at first only my OS will be installed on my SSD.

Then if I shut down connect the drive D it should get the letter "D" and then do the same for E and F.

I know I can go inot manage drives and change letters if I have to but I am wanting to do this with the hopes that the drives once connected to the system just get the same letters by default.

The only thing I am unsure about is how do I identify which actural HD is D,E and F before I shut the system down for the rebuild???

Any help as always is appreciated

Back