• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking of switching to linux on my laptop...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Elluzion

currently i have a 3 1/2 year old laptop that has windows xp home. I am thinking of switching to linux!

some questions:
1. how do i get drivers to work?
2. can i still use my printer? (few months old, i have driver disk)
3. will it make my computer run faster?

Really all i need to do on this laptop is
internet, print, word process/powerpoint, and play music/update with my mp3 player

is linux right for me???? if so what kind? ubuntu?
THANKS

someone please help point me in the right direction!

1. Drivers for linux are built into the kernel/OS, so you shouldn't have to search for any. (there are a few exceptions)
2. What kind of printer? make/model?
3. This depends on how much you have installed, which GUI you install with linux and how many programs are running. In my experience a computer with a light-weight GUI will respond faster than if it had a Windows install.

What kind of MP3 player do you have?

What kind of powerpoint presentations do you make? The open-source version of office (openoffice) can do powerpoint, but if you open the PP in Microsoft Office the fonts, and pictures may be out of alignment. It's also not that great at animated graphics, I can do basic things, but if you have a lot it can bog it down a little in my experience (the pictures can jitter and not look quite right when moving)

The computer specs will probably determine the best GUI to use, and since you're new I'd recommend finding a distro that uses the GUI you want as a default.

EDIT: wow, funnyperson1 must have been typing when i posted, but we said almost the exact same thing, that makes me laugh.

Last edited:
1. The VAST majority of drivers will come with whatever Linux Distribution you choose. If the drivers you need don't come with your kernel, then you will either be out of luck (no drivers available), or you will have to download and compile your own kernel with a driver patch. In reality though this is very rare, it's difficult to find a popular piece of hardware that doesn't have at least a subset of its functionality available in Linux.

It's far more common that there is a driver loaded, but it isn't working or isn't configured correctly. In these cases some research on Google and/or a post in this forum should help resolve it.

2. Most probably, I have had great luck with Ubuntu and printer support. I've been able to connect several different printer brands to my machines (HP, Samsung, Dell) and the Ubuntu add printer wizard detected the printer and automagically installed the driver for me. I've used my Ubuntu install to troubleshoot when I was having print issues in Windows.

3. Maybe, it depends on how bloated your XP install had become. Most user-friendly linux distributions (Ubuntu, Fedora, SUSE, etc.) are loaded with programs and services by default. While I'm not sure they are faster than a clean XP install, they don't slow down over time like Windows does.

For what you want to do, Linux should do just fine. The only caveat I have is that the OpenOffice.org suite that most people use for Office in Linux isn't (imho) as good as MS Office. I feel like the spreadsheet and powerpoint applications lack some features, and while compatibility with MS Office documents is pretty darn good, it isn't 100% (usually there are formatting issues, especially with graphics). You can see if this Office suite is suitable for you by trying it out in windows (www.openoffice.org). Your MP3 player should be fine as long as it isn't a Zune.

I'm a big fan of Ubuntu myself. While it is easy to set up and get going, so are most other desktop-oriented distributions. The main advantage for me is the large user base. If you run into a problem (and you probably will at some point), there is almost always somebody who has had the same problem and posted a fix online. I suggest the 8.04 "Long Term Service" version because it seems more solid than 8.10 and the older codebase will probably be more forgiving on older hardware.

3. Maybe, it depends on how bloated your XP install had become. Most user-friendly linux distributions (Ubuntu, Fedora, SUSE, etc.) are loaded with programs and services by default. While I'm not sure they are faster than a clean XP install, they don't slow down over time like Windows does.

I would like to stress this point. The last clean install I did of Kubuntu was version 7.10 and have upgraded twice without a full re-install (now on 8.10) and I have seen no slow downs in boot up time or time to a fully loaded desktop. All my programs are just as responsive as they were on the day I installed them. If anything some parts are now faster due to kernel changes and other program code optimizations.

Also 3D desktop effects (compiz-fusion) can be run on fairly slow hardware vs Vista's Aero. It's not so much that the system runs faster but that you can do more with less.

1. Drivers for linux are built into the kernel/OS, so you shouldn't have to search for any. (there are a few exceptions)
2. What kind of printer? make/model?
3. This depends on how much you have installed, which GUI you install with linux and how many programs are running. In my experience a computer with a light-weight GUI will respond faster than if it had a Windows install.

What kind of MP3 player do you have?

What kind of powerpoint presentations do you make? The open-source version of office (openoffice) can do powerpoint, but if you open the PP in Microsoft Office the fonts, and pictures may be out of alignment. It's also not that great at animated graphics, I can do basic things, but if you have a lot it can bog it down a little in my experience (the pictures can jitter and not look quite right when moving)

The computer specs will probably determine the best GUI to use, and since you're new I'd recommend finding a distro that uses the GUI you want as a default.

EDIT: wow, funnyperson1 must have been typing when i posted, but we said almost the exact same thing, that makes me laugh.

My printer is a HP officejet J5780 All-In-One

The mp3 player i would sync is a cowon d2, i would use media jukebox (its a windows app) would i have to use WineHQ i believe????

My laptop model is : hp pavilion zv6201cl

it has 2ghz amd processor, 2gb ram, 60gb 4200 hdd,etc.....

i understand how it doesn't get slower over time and how the security is much better. So ubuntu seems to be the best way to go since its more supported???/

http://www.linux-laptop.net/

have a look for your model for the issues you may have
UNSEENMENACE:

i looked my laptop up and it said something about
# HP Pavilion zv6000 [Gentoo]
# HP Pavilion zv6000 [Slamd64] (in Portuguese)
# HP Pavilion zv6000 [Pardus] (in Turkish)
# HP Pavilion zv6000 [Slamd64] (in Portuguese)
# HP Pavilion ZV6000 [Suse 9.3]
# HP Pavilion ZV6000 [Suse 9.3] (in German)
# HP Pavilion zv6000 [Debian Etch (amd64)]

also i wanted to say there is this 1 microsoft app i really like called one-note, is there anyway i would be able to run it somehow?

Last edited:
You'll prob have problems out of your printer. They like to build all the special functions, like scanning and copying into an app used along with the driver instead of just pushing a button on the printer like you should be able to.

If its capable of running Debian I would probably run a debian based distro such as Mint or Ubuntu as these usually have great support for latops and similar.

Due to not understanding Portuguese, Turkish or German there is not point me reading the articles the links point to on http://www.linux-laptop.net/

You'll prob have problems out of your printer. They like to build all the special functions, like scanning and copying into an app used along with the driver instead of just pushing a button on the printer like you should be able to.

Have a look at this considering printer support:

http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-OfficeJet_j5780

Also, instead of speculating on driver support and whatnot, just burn an Ubuntu CD and try it without installing it. Keep in mind of course there are months of updates not included while running off the cd, and it will be far more sluggish than if it were running from the hard drive.

Whats even worse is that we both did this around 3AM.

My printer is a HP officejet J5780 All-In-One

The mp3 player i would sync is a cowon d2, i would use media jukebox (its a windows app) would i have to use WineHQ i believe????

also i wanted to say there is this 1 microsoft app i really like called one-note, is there anyway i would be able to run it somehow?

If you want to use the same program (MusicMatch Jukebox?) you would have to use Wine and it may not work.

The D2 however officially supports Linux and there are a bunch of different programs you could use to sync your D2 such as Amarok or Rythymbox.

As for OneNote, you definitely have to use Wine. From what I can tell from the Appdb a recent update broke Office support in Wine, but I'm sure fixing that is a priority.

I don't have experience with that particular model, but I know that in the past HP has always had fantastic Linux/Unix support for their printers since they tend to target business use. Don't know if their consumer line has slacked off on this, I haven't owned a printer for awhile now.

ok i tried wubi (partitions as a program for temporary use ) of ubuntu 8.10

the wireless didn't work, (wtf?), and i didn't try printing, it kind of froze on me :/

ok i tried wubi (partitions as a program for temporary use ) of ubuntu 8.10

the wireless didn't work, (wtf?), and i didn't try printing, it kind of froze on me :/

You may need to run Ndiswrapper if you can not get the wireless to work, to enable you to use the windows drivers.

Its worth doing your research before running Linux on a laptop as the hardwear requirements are a little more specific, but it can be done, ive got my finger print reader, webcam, hdmi, and quick buttons all working on my laptop along with the remote control, it took a while though.

Do you know what wireless card you have ?

You may need to run Ndiswrapper if you can not get the wireless to work, to enable you to use the windows drivers.

Its worth doing your research before running Linux on a laptop as the hardwear requirements are a little more specific, but it can be done, ive got my finger print reader, webcam, hdmi, and quick buttons all working on my laptop along with the remote control, it took a while though.

Do you know what wireless card you have ?

i'm thinking of just reformatting and using windows again, maybe nlite. :/ linux just seems like a hasstle to configure for everything to work...

i'm thinking of just reformatting and using windows again, maybe nlite. :/ linux just seems like a hasstle to configure for everything to work...

I've never used the Wubi thing, but if I were you I think I'd burn an actual Ubuntu CD and boot from it to test things out. It may be just fine, but running Linux from a Windows partition sounds like something I want to keep away from my children.

If you installled via Wubi why do you need to reformat? There is also the option to download and install VirtualBox and install Ubuntu as a VM. That is probably the most pain free experience for installing on a Laptop IMO.

From other users on this forum i've heard that WUBI is a PITA. Problems with deleting it, using it and such.

Your wireless problem is common, it just takes a little configuration to get it working.

The MP3 player should work fine, but you eon't get a fancy connection, it just does a basic data-hookup and you have to sync it with a media player of your choice. RythymBox should cover your needs with the MP3 player. Playlists are going to be a PITA, as they don't use any industry standards for thiers (from what I've read about them at least)

Onenote can be used in linux via Crossover, and (as mentioned) probably Wine, if it didn't break. If you're willing to try alternatives i found a thread on them here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=93742&page=5

For the printer you can go here and download a proprietary linux driver for it:
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html

linux just seems like a hasstle to configure for everything to work...
That's why linux isn't quite mainstream, most manufacurers don't put forth any effort to support their hardware in linux.

Don't think about it, just do it. Get another hard drive and install it on another computer then stick it in your laptop. Yes you can do this. Install linux on any computer and you can take that hard drive and stick it into any other computer and it will work. Unlike wintard which will bluescreen and never boot right again after one swap...ok got side tracked.

Do it. Learn it. Love it. Linux is where its at.

Don't think about it, just do it. Get another hard drive and install it on another computer then stick it in your laptop. Yes you can do this. Install linux on any computer and you can take that hard drive and stick it into any other computer and it will work..

It looks like it uses an IDE interface on the drives, he'd have to get an 2.5" to 3.5" converter to make an install from a desktop, and the drive/parts would probably run 40-50$ easy.

If the OP is willing to spend the time to configure linux to work properly then keep it, Get the Ubuntu 9.04 when it comes out this month and go with it.

I mentioned in my earlier post what the biggest complications will be with your devices, and it's up to you whether or not you want to deal with them. Personally I prefer linux because I like the variety in GUI, and distributions, the fact that it's nearly all open source, and (lastly) because it's not windows.
For you, you just need to decide if you want to take the plunge.

Back