• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinkpads screen not turning off/going to sleep when i close the lid

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

Thinkpad T440p
Windows 10 64 bit home
Already using the latest bios update

I cannot get my think pad to go to sleep when I close the lid. It started out where it would sometimes go to sleep and now it does not anymore. I do not know if the cable is broken...i already replaced the camera.

I noticed that there is a magnet near the trackpad. Checking which part of the screen it meets with definitely showed it was near the camera. I did try putting a magnet near the camera but the screen still did not turn off.

EDIT: Also, I use this for my WISP Field Tech job so I open and close my Thinkpad a lot.

Last edited:
It could very well be a micro reed switch that has gone bad. When the lid closes, the magnate forces the reed switch to open or close thus setting off the "event" of sleeping or shutting down. I also know that in the power settings you can select what the laptop does when you close the lid. If you check there and it is set to shutdown/sleep/etc and it does not actually do that event when you close the lid, the reed switch may be missing/broken/disconnected.

I did a quick search to see if I could get a picture... instead I got this.

In this picture, they used a paperclip to find the magnet. It was found on the monitor lid. The switch will be on the base in the same location of the magnet. This is where you will want to look to see if a cable came loose or if it came out or whatever.

I did check all the software settings. I re-applied them. I also used the paper clip method to find the magnet and then checked to see where it meets up with the display. I lightly rubbed a magnet in that area on the display itself and it did not trigger the screen to turn off.

Then I'd guess that the switch is dead, dislodged or disconnected.

But from where the magnet is facing, its on the camera board. which has already been replaced.

Back