• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This sucks.Can anyone help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AmbientFiction

Senior Folding Zombie
Somewhere in the top 100 folders for team 32
Maybe someone will know this my video card just all of a sudden quit supporting direct3d
and DDraw. It was fine one day I was play UT and I shut ut down when I tried to play it again for some reason all I got were crashes so after some wondering I brought Dxdiag and tired to test those setting and DD wouldn't show up and 3d would lock my system..Is it posible that somehow I burnt it up playing UT?
I was only running at 75mhz and normal is 66 on my Cellie.
I do have a blue orb on the card to help with cooling

Thanks in advance for all your help

>hi AmbientFiction
>check the video card to see if it is all the way in the agp slot.
>try reinstalling the video card drivers.
>try looking for any new driver updates for your computer.
>try reinstalling the game.

Tried all that sorry.
Lets cover everything I have done
I have done the driver thing both old and new
DX7 and old DX
I have a blue orb on it to cool
I have tried about everything. The weird thing is it will run everything else fine No glitches anywhere else.
I have Uninstalled and installed things till I am sick of it
**Kicks my video card** Your going in the trash when I get some cash!!

You should also post the specs of your system so we can help you out. What video card do you have? What's the rest of your hardware? What Operating System are you running? These are all things we'll need to know.

Celeron 533 which untill I get this back to normal is back at 533 I had it a 600 Volocano // heatsink
256 megs of Pc133 ram
Riva TNT2 16 megs Has a blue orb on it(I wanted something new but no cash = I got to wait)
Tekram Pro3 AU
80mm in th back of my case and a 60mm in the front

I thin that should do it. I have check System and it says the device is just fine I have no problems in other Apps like windows just anything that needs DD or D3D

That just sounds like the exact same problem I've had when my drivers would'nt install correctly. I noticed you tried reinstalling DX7. Have you tried the latest Vid card drivers along with DX8? That may take care of it. Otherwise I woud maybe try a diry install of windows (Windows over Windows). Sometimes that will fix small problems without having to totally redo the system.

"added to post"
I just remembe having the same problem my inlaws pc. They had a TNT in there system. Well I was playing around with it and all of a sudden I could'nt run any D3D apps! I ended up actually taking the card out of the pc and reinserting it. Then reinstalled the drivers and it mysteriously started working again. I have no idea what happened.

AmbientFiction (Jun 30, 2001 02:05 p.m.):
Well I didn't want to go the route of Dx8a cause I blue screened 6 times in 2 days but its worth a try

probobly due to older drivers that did'nt support DX8. Just a guess anyway.

bdf24 (Jun 30, 2001 02:08 p.m.):
AmbientFiction (Jun 30, 2001 02:05 p.m.):
Well I didn't want to go the route of Dx8a cause I blue screened 6 times in 2 days but its worth a try

probobly due to older drivers that did'nt support DX8. Just a guess anyway.

Big null on that one man no will do I crashes out still I am just going to take it to the shop cause I do have a lifetime warenty...Can bios keep up with if someone has overclocked the system or not. If so I need to flash mine

This is going to sound lame, but after reading all the posts, it sounds like you need to reinstall windows, install directx 8.0a, then your video drivers (but only use newer drivers with dx8 ).

I've had to do this before; can't quite explain why, though I have my theories (like *Microsoft sucks*).

It definitely sounds like your drivers.

Pinky (Jun 30, 2001 05:15 p.m.):
This is going to sound lame, but after reading all the posts, it sounds like you need to reinstall windows, install directx 8.0a, then your video drivers (but only use newer drivers with dx8 ).

I've had to do this before; can't quite explain why, though I have my theories (like *Microsoft sucks*).

Tell me I can do an over the top man. It would take me a good two three days to get winblowz back the way I like it TWEAKED

AmbientFiction (Jun 30, 2001 05:20 p.m.):

Tell me I can do an over the top man. It would take me a good two three days to get winblowz back the way I like it TWEAKED

You running w98se or W2K?? I wouldn't recommend the reinstall unless you reformat... You may want to start using ghost in case this happens again, I always have an image ready if something bad should happen.

AmbientFiction (Jun 30, 2001 05:27 p.m.):
win98SE and Linux 8.0 mandrake on one of the other partitions

If you have little integrated software a reinstall is plausable (again, not recommended). It's been a few months since I had 98se installed, but I do remember being able to reinstall my copy over the existsing one (I think I even did this and recreated my shortcuts and menu items only to reformat later due to data corruption).

If you're not sure it will help, don't do it; but as for what else you can do, I'm clueless. The symptoms you describe are driver related. I had the same thing happen once, and reinstalled the drivers included with my Leadtek card, then updated/reinstalled with the nvidia drivers I wanted, and it went away. I also only use directx8

**Smacks myself in the head** God I'm dumb I have partitions that can hold the stuff I hav off loaded from disk and then all I need to do is move it back once I am done........Someone please kill me I beg of you..No sleep makes me a dumb boy

I've done a dirty install of windows many times! More times then not it will fix any problems your having (Windows related anyway!). But if you can back everything up. then hell yeah. Nothing beats a clean install. It's like having a brand new pc! I use ghost to do mine takes only around 20min. or so And everything is back to new.

I have to agree with pinky though. Like I said earlier. It sounds like a drivers issue!

Not to contradict you or anything. But I've always been told to do it the other way around. Drivers first then DX!

I guess it really doesn't make a difference then!

Hey whats this "Ghost" thing ive been hearing about.

i know its for backups but do i need another hd or cdr drive to use Ghost?

what is it exactly?
thanx

Its windows that causing the problom. a friend of mine had the same thing happen to his tnt2 after a reformat everything was good.

ghost is Norton Ghost its used to creat a image of a drive or partition i use it its great after getting windows the way you want it creat a ghost copy on a different partition and your set

Back