• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ti4200 problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KGH

Hi all,

Iam having problem with this Asus TI4200 8x 128MB. I did try on 2 diff system ( 1 is 2.2ghz barton, NF7-S , 512RAM winXP and 1 is Tbred 2.3ghz 1gbRAM,win2003) and both end up with the same problem.:
freezing (after few mins playing movie or game) and occasionally flick while doing some surfing/browsing.
The most serious freeze is back to normal after 10 secs or more with the apps (wmp,windvd,game ..) termination. Else need to restart.
while other minor freezes ( like during typing this message it did freeze up for 2secs and back to normal) are more likely to happen.

I did also try 40.x and 57.x drivers, no help. I installedtthe PowerStrip to check my vid speed and it said : Memory 256mhz: Engine: 126mhz

I thought the Engine would be much higher ? 350mhz perhaps ?

anyone familiar with the above experience plz helpppppp .

thanks

Last edited:
I wouldnt just take a look at it.unless you see the fan is dead.

I would take the heatsink off,clean her up, clean the core and then apply new thermal compound then reset the heatsink properly.

I would just get microscope(11.04) and do a videomemcheck. If it says error, then your card is gone(memory failure), if not it's a software dilemma... Most likelyl

DaWiper said:
I would just get microscope(11.04) and do a videomemcheck. If it says error, then your card is gone(memory failure), if not it's a software dilemma... Most likelyl

Sorry but that test is ridiculous if it gives you only two options as to whats wrong with your video card.

i think heating issue is a good start here.

Is there any software would detect or tell overheating on Vid card ?
btw what compound goes between the heatsink and gpu ? { same compoud as cpu ? }

stratcatprowlin said:

Sorry but that test is ridiculous if it gives you only two options as to whats wrong with your video card.

It doesn't give you any options... It just tell's you if it can't write a value to mem and read it correct back. EVERY time i've experienced a failure in that test it has been to a serious problem. EVERYTIME I've had success in replacing the gfx-card.... Machine stable after that,..

DaWiper said:

It doesn't give you any options... It just tell's you if it can't write a value to mem and read it correct back. EVERY time i've experienced a failure in that test it has been to a serious problem. EVERYTIME I've had success in replacing the gfx-card.... Machine stable after that,..

lol, of course if u change the card it will be stable after that!

why would you throw away a video card without checking the cooling first?

kevinN said:
i think heating issue is a good start here.

Is there any software would detect or tell overheating on Vid card ?
btw what compound goes between the heatsink and gpu ? { same compoud as cpu ? }

Well I think we already know ur card is overheating so I dont think a program will need to tell u that,but i dont know of any that would anyway.

Yeah, use the same compuond or paste you would use with a cpu.

insecure^ said:
you should pm oc550 because he has one and loves it, so he probably knows a lot about it.

LOLz

yes I hardly can find any his posts w/o mention TI4200 LOL

iamthinking abt using a stock Tbred hsf replace this stock ti4200. would that be possible ? ( may be to drill 2 holes thru the aluminum block )

one more thing
would the ram on the vid card cause problem if they r too hot ( it is hot when I put my finger on ) even though iam running at stock speed.

The card came w/ no heatsink on the ram.

Just want to get this straight b4 jump into mod hsf on gpu.

stratcatprowlin said:

lol, of course if u change the card it will be stable after that!

why would you throw away a video card without checking the cooling first?

You do know that it's possible to buy a gfxcard that has faulty/bad memory. Til now this year I've have personal knowledge of three faulty cards. Due to bad mem.

1. Creative 64mb gf4 mx420(bad mem, error, creative agreed and replaced the card. Test run in microscope. Showed error

2. Creative 128mb fx5600U(my first) semi-Dead on arrival, lots of artifacts(2d/3d), replaced by reseller. Memerror. Microscope agreed.

3. Case three, 32MB Creative Gf 2 mx200, Semi dead on delivery, person had it for three(!) years, couldn't understand why he always had a extreme number of random lockups. Tested the card with microscope and it stated memory read error. Tested with 3dmark also, to be sure. 3dmark ran for 30 secs befor total freeze.

The point is that Microscope is not a uberfantastic piece of software that can perform magic, but it'can function like a "memtest86" for gfxcards. It can only help you to pinpoint/exlude a problem.

DaWiper said:

You do know that it's possible to buy a gfxcard that has faulty/bad memory. Til now this year I've have personal knowledge of three faulty cards. Due to bad mem.

1. Creative 64mb gf4 mx420(bad mem, error, creative agreed and replaced the card. Test run in microscope. Showed error

2. Creative 128mb fx5600U(my first) semi-Dead on arrival, lots of artifacts(2d/3d), replaced by reseller. Memerror. Microscope agreed.

3. Case three, 32MB Creative Gf 2 mx200, Semi dead on delivery, person had it for three(!) years, couldn't understand why he always had a extreme number of random lockups. Tested the card with microscope and it stated memory read error. Tested with 3dmark also, to be sure. 3dmark ran for 30 secs befor total freeze.

The point is that Microscope is not a uberfantastic piece of software that can perform magic, but it'can function like a "memtest86" for gfxcards. It can only help you to pinpoint/exlude a problem.

I understand this my friend.Very well actually.

I have gotten a couple of bad cards too.

But this program does not tell you if you need to reseat the Gpu cooler or not.No program could.

Only a human being can do that.

Okie guys, check this out

According to PowerStrip v3.x here is the report on my card:

Identity - NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X
Memory clock - 256.50 MHz
Engine clock - 126.00 MHz

According to the card Specs itself:

Graphics Engine NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200-8X
Video Memory 3.6ns 128 MB DDR SDRAM
Engine Clock 250 MHz
Memory Clock 550MHz (275MHz DDR)
RAMDAC 350 MHz

can someone tell me what happens here ? or this is just normal.
i have not touch any tweaking or oc on this card.

kevinN said:
one more thing
would the ram on the vid card cause problem if they r too hot ( it is hot when I put my finger on ) even though iam running at stock speed.

The card came w/ no heatsink on the ram.

Just want to get this straight b4 jump into mod hsf on gpu.

Well the memory does get hot on my 4200 also.

Yes It can cause problems if they get too hot,but at stock speeds I wouldnt worry about it.
You can put ramsinks on if you like.They cant hurt.

As far as that power strip readout: Its cutting the speeds in half.
I know one reason is to give you the ddr memory speed comparison.
I dont know why it would cut the core speed in half though.

Back