• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Total silent computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

overdoze

I would like everyone to give your opinion on these. Please drop a few lines.

How much are you willing to spend to get total silent computer no noise what so ever except from your speakers

For myself: I would spend up to $500 for it from an air cool computer. Also, I want to be able to attend the Lan party with this computer not something like running the water to a fridge :)

If you are not interested please let me know you would spent $0 on it.

Thank you much for your words.

PS: The reason I ask b/c I will have more follow up later.

So far I have spent in the neighborhood of $500 experimenting with ways to achieve near silence. I am much closer than I was 6 months ago and, in the end, I used water. It went from about 60dB from my seat to below 50dB. I cannot measure below 50dB, but it was still too loud for me even at that level. Going to water made a big difference in that I was able to toss the whiny hsf. The last step of replacing the PSU and the fans caused a dramatic reduction in overall noise. I can still hear it but it's closer to a whisper and is now easily drowned out by the sound of the furnace kicking on and it seems that success has been achieved. I can take my system to a LAN party as it is self contained and secure with a semi closed loop system, albeit a little heavier than before. The Antec server cases are heavy anyway.

Nothing, I personally don't get distracted by sound, but if it does come free by something like me converting to watercooling, then yay it's there cool. :D

I would spend around $200 for a very silent sysem, if I had $200...I'm going to try to get my system quiet w/watercooling, but dont know how loud panflos are..

-zero

but the chances of makeing a toootaly sciilent comptuer are not really realistic

youll hear something

Folks working in professional recording studios have been able to get the noise level down to 20 db.

Maybe instead of $$$ you can ask the question another way:

How much of a temp increase would you trade off for a quiet computer?

So far, I have gone from a fairly quiet case with a howler of a HSF (delta 68) to a Lian Li case with dual 120MM blowholes and a howler HSF and back to a quiet Lian Li case (2 120MM panaflow blowholes, with variable speed on all fans). My temps with the quiet fans are around 3-4C higher than my peak all-time low.

As for $$$, I can't count what I have spent. But I can estimate next-day shipping costs at over $100 (I'm a little bit impatient :))

What would the temps be? I have my XP running at 34C (idle)with just two fans. One is in the PSU (thermostat controlled) and the other has two rheostats (set just above stall speed).

If it was silent, would it be as cool?

Thank you all for your response.

I'm currently working on a fanless computer project. The first and the hardest is the PS. I have it almost done until test time. After I plug in the PS. The live voltage on the Power transistor knock thru my non conducting glue to the water block and burn the fuse and a few transistor. Oh well, back to square one. I learn and will do again on the next PS. Attached is a pics of the burn PS.

Anybody know how to remove these transistor from the water block. It is stuck now and I want to save the water block for the next PS :)

PS: attached is the picture show how I did it.

ahh...the joy of high powered electronics and water. so, you'd still hear noise from the HD and CDROM? If you're gonna quiet those down, i'd love to hear how you'd do it!

I've got my current computer down to about 27dba by embedding all of the noisy components further inside the computer via ducting and such.
One other solution which will be appearing in my tiny system is to use a Notebook CD-ROM and hard drive instead of the 3.5" standard. They make alot less noise and the CD-ROM drive has an automatic sleep feature built in.

Grommeting fans makes a big difference and just being choosier about which ones you use also helps alot. I've found that if you can eliminate as many fans that are smaller than 80mm as possible you won't have as much annoying noise. 80mm fans and above give off less-offensive white noise and are actually kind of soooothing to me.

ramble ramble...

JoeCrappa,
I am not going to quiet the CDrom an HD. Those noise are not constant. If you are interest in doing it I do have a way of quiet those down by move the HD and CDROM to a different computer and use boot from network. Problem is you have to run to another room to insert a CDROM each time you want acess to a CDROM.

BTW, My IBM glass HD does not make any noise that I can hear.
My CDROM I only use it to burn. All my game and software are loaded in the HD.

Captain Slug, do you mind post a picture of your quiet computer. I'd like to see how you did it
Thanks.

Back