• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unknown computer problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Have you heard of Elementary OS? I have someone telling me its a good beginner OS to learn linux.

Okay so i read it. I think that if i had to pick from your list, id go with Kubuntu. But i do have some questions. Can you install normal microsoft programs? Like i usually use HWinfo, MSi afterburner, steam, discord, uplay, origin, chrome and razer synapse. is there a way to use these programs on Kubuntu? Would i delete windows off of my ssd or just create another partition and install it on that?
Well you never can tell what from the Windows world will work with Wine (Wine is how you get windows stuff to work in Linux, but not everything works perfectly). Some of your steam library may work on Linux and other titles will work through Wine while some may not work at all. I think I linked it in the thread but there is a database of games that work through Wine. Ive never tried Afterburner, or Hwinfo so I cant say much there. I use something called psensor that does realtime monitoring of the vital stats.

What you will really want to do is head over to the homepage of several distros and download the live ISO. You can then try a live version of each OS without changing your current system - yep doesnt change a thing about your current install and you can try each and every feature as well as install programs -

If you find a distro you like then you can either kill Windows completely or run dual boot (choose which OS you want to use at startup). But seriously, try some out. Kubuntu is great and so are lots of others.

Have you heard of Elementary OS? I have someone telling me its a good beginner OS to learn linux.
I think Elementary is a Ubuntu based distro that is geared towards elementary aged kids. Its loaded with typing tutors and math games and stuff. You will still be able to install all the stuff from the Ubuntu repositories though. Ill check it out Elementary though, but I suspect I won't get to it for a while

there is another one that's fairly easy to get into,

zorinos.

This one is closer to widows 10 than any that i know of. they have a free version, and a paid version with some handy programs, but you can get by with the free version pretty easily.

So just a quick update on my fathers pc. Everything i did ended up solving the issue. THe problem has not occurred since. So yay!

On another had. I tried Elemantry OS and Ubuntu. Long story short, I am staying with windows for right now.

So just a quick update on my fathers pc. Everything i did ended up solving the issue. THe problem has not occurred since. So yay![/QUOTE ]

Good to hear! :)

[QUOTE ] On another had. I tried Elemantry OS and Ubuntu. Long story short, I am staying with windows for right now.

Before you stick completely with the darkside try zorin and Linux mint. Ubuntu ia ugly and needs lots of attention to get how you like. Zorin has a button that transforms it into Windows clone. Friends dont let friends.... Windows :)

Before you stick completely with the darkside try zorin and Linux mint. Ubuntu ia ugly and needs lots of attention to get how you like. Zorin has a button that transforms it into Windows clone. Friends dont let friends.... Windows :)
I'll give it a shot later. I packed all my computer stuff up and don't have access to it right now. I like Linux except for the lack of support. All I do is gaming and the games I play aren't supported for the most part.

Sorry to have to post on an old thread however my fathers computer decided to crash today. Well, windows to be more specific. Ill post what whocrashed says. Can anyone help me figure out what caused this and how to go about fixing it? Right now the computer rebooted without any problems and I am currently posting from it. Screenshot (1).png

Something tells me the computer needs a fresh windows install.

I also did a sfc /scannow and it came up with this.
Screenshot (2).png

Last edited:
I would run memtest86 for the standard four passes and then run CrystalDiskInfo on the hard drive. File corruption can be caused by bad memory modules or a failing hard drive that has run out of reallocation sectors. I would check the hardware out before reinstalling windows lest you go to all that trouble and soon wind up with the same problem. I would also run Malarebytes on the system.

How old is dad's computer?

I would run memtest86 for the standard four passes and then run CrystalDiskInfo on the hard drive. File corruption can be caused by bad memory modules or a failing hard drive that has run out of reallocation sectors. I would check the hardware out before reinstalling windows lest you go to all that trouble and soon wind up with the same problem. I would also run Malarebytes on the system.

Will do tomorrow. The computer is two or three years old. The Mobo and CPU is about a year old. It's still running the windows that upgraded from 8.1 to 10.

Check the HDD for errors. Also check "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors". It takes a while, but I've solved a few problems that way.

+1
Check the HDD for errors. Also check "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors". It takes a while, but I've solved a few problems that way.

Each of the WhoCrashed reports indicate that it's more likely to be 3rd party drivers/filters triggering the corruption, rather than the memory itself.

Back