• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

unlocking 39+ week bartons!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ElrOnD

Registered
behold you unfaithfull!

lol

So, I found a thread where a portuguese user(portugal powa!) explains a way to unlock the new bartons...

here it is what it says

quote:

´ve found a way to change multipliers in athlons with week39 sindrome.

Because AMD only locked L3 set, wich for desktop cpu´s is multiplier, but for mobile cpu´s is startup multiplier, we can override it to use maximum multiplier of mobile cpu, wich is 11x for desktop cpu´s, but can be increased manipulating L6 bridges.

After painting the 3rd L5 bridge, wich makes your desktop cpu a mobile one, we can use CPU MSR to change multiplier in windows.

http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/AXP_multiplier/AXP_Multiplier.htm

But it only allows us 11x to 6x. The cpu will always boot at 11x, because a mobile cpu reads multiplier from L6 bridges, all of them are uncut in desktop parts, wich leads to 11x. The way to change this is cut them the way we want.

The bridge set is described here:
http://fab51.netfirms.com/pc/index-e.html

The downside is, the problem is, depending on the motherboard, it will boot at a certain mult, in my case it´s the maximum (in K7S8X-E+), wich is set by L6 bridges. In others it may not work just by doing this, but the bios may need to be moded to support P-state changes. Some boards should also boot at 6x, or lower, and have next to be set the right multiplier in windows.

Will try in Nforce 2 Ultra and post tomorrow, it worked fine in my asrock, some other boards allowed changing mult in windows, those should be fine too.
Check the thread bellow for more info:

http://www.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=35;t=003859

Tks to all the guys that made the above URLs for all the info that was necessary tho achive this, that though not very practical, it´s the only solution, at least now, to change mults in locked athlons.

I think all of these FIDs and VID manipulation can be made by BIOS (correct me if i´m wrong), but it isn´t going to be easy...

P.S. - I noticed some decreased overclocking ability after doing this, i´ll analyse it better tomorrow and post.

Orginal post at http://www.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=22&t=001450

So, is there any way to do it just by bios? is it realy necessary to join bridges and etc?

[]z

Kind of funny that that was written today the 29th. Kindda funny that I proposed and did the same thingon the 28th. I take credit for being the first one to try it and putting serious thought into it.

Also the 2 prongs that I was using to blast the last bridge touched and melted the whole area around that bridge. Proc is still booting.

bulk88 has been working out, and starting to apply, the *EXACT SAME TECHNIQUE* with a locked Duron, and an unlocked Duron (placebo if you will) over the past few days.

Congratulations bulk - you (and some portugese guy who may or may not just have copied your work ;)) have just opened the door to a future (more practical) multiplier changing method (BIOS hacks perhaps?).

yay!

bulk88 said:
Kind of funny that that was written today the 29th. Kindda funny that I proposed and did the same thingon the 28th. I take credit for being the first one to try it and putting serious thought into it.

Also the 2 prongs that I was using to blast the last bridge touched and melted the whole area around that bridge. Proc is still booting.

Man, I was just trying to help, not trying to take any fame or merit from you...

If you pay atention, I mentioned that my post was just a quote from other guy, that happened to be a portuguese one...

So, all i´m trying to say is, I don´t care if were you or other guy who first discovered it, I just care that from now on we all will be able to unlock our bartons again, and possibly by bios...

So just keep up the good work, congratz for the idea, and try to do it by bios, then you´ll be my hero!:p :p :p

[]z

most interesting - i was given a week 44 duron (haven't installed it yet) that could become a "guinea pig" for testing........but not too pressed to overclock - its going into the wife's computer since she doesn't do any serious work on her computer.........

Back