• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unofficial Wolfdale E8400/E8500 OC Reports

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
do you think that could help the core temp difference?

Its a major pain to install this zalman :beer:

do you think that could help the core temp difference?

Its a major pain to install this zalman :beer:

Cant really say for sure. You never will know unless you try :D

But thats definitely WAY WAY too much TIM. More is definitely not better. You want a very very VERY thin layer to allow heat to pass through. Any more than that, and it certainly can diminish your heat transfer. Wont know for sure if thats the case for you or not unless you give it a go and see.

Last edited:
I have MX-2 and AS5 here, i guess i'll stick with the MX-2 :beer:

I might go ahead and do it..

Benching everything @ 4.9ghz right now, tried at 5ghz a few times with no luck, upped the voltages, will try again for 5 in a bit :D

Doc was your last run on Dice or LN2?

You can get 5ghz, we all have faith in you!

hows this for a seconed try?

Now the load temps at 4ghz / 1.28v are 50/57c. a little better... they were touching 52/60c

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145/Coreyhm1/DSCF2334.jpg

heres how everything looks when i took it off
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145/Coreyhm1/DSCF2327.jpg
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145/Coreyhm1/DSCF2329.jpg
and the zalman no longer has that "mirror" finish :-/
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145/Coreyhm1/DSCF2330.jpg

EDIT: i think i spoke too soon, i just ran orthos and coretemp. they are saying the same thing again, 52/59c.. i have a headache now :beer:

Last edited:
Nope, no 5ghz tonight :cry:

*Edit: Best I got a screenie of tonight:

wprime32m17859yu2.jpg

Last edited:
Benching everything @ 4.9ghz right now, tried at 5ghz a few times with no luck, upped the voltages, will try again for 5 in a bit :D

Doc was your last run on Dice or LN2?

All LN2 man. Havnt touched the E8400 with dice at all.

I couldnt really bench it at more than either 5000 or perhaps 5150. Was only able to get the CPU-Z at 5400+ and could only get 5100 (5104 I think??) for WP32M.

I think I need to go colder though to get more out of it. I need to check my notes but I think I was running at about -100C or so, and if I went colder I bet I could add a bit.

What mobo you using sno? (EDIT: Maxi's Mars?)

Last edited:
Yep, Maxi's Mars :D

I think I just need to go colder ;) I went from 1.625v at 4.8ghz to 1.65ish at 4.9ghz, then gradually tried all the way up to 1.74v but still couldn't clock any higher, then didn't see any point in trying any more voltage.

Corey,

on your unattached pics, see how all of the TIM is spilling over the side of the CPU? Too much TIM......

Personally I still think that you have too much on that first pic as well, but not so sure that its dramatic enough to make much of a difference.

FWIW.......

Yep, Maxi's Mars :D

I think I just need to go colder ;) I went from 1.625v at 4.8ghz to 1.65ish at 4.9ghz, then gradually tried all the way up to 1.74v but still couldn't clock any higher, then didn't see any point in trying any more voltage.

Well, if you have been following my threads Im sure that you will see that I have a habit of overvolting way way more than I likely need.

HOWEVER, that being said.....with my P5K dlx at 1.7v I maxed at around 5150 on my E8400, with my Mars I was able to go higher. Both runs were LN2, and no way to say if it was more of a Vmch or Vcore or something else issue that allowed me to get an extra 300mhz or not. Personally I really do think alot of it was Vcore. I was testing with some lower volts on the Mars/E8400 combo and I definitely locked up earlier in Setfsb with lower Vcore......

But as I said, I overvolt the crap outta my CPUs to get that one sweet spot where I can just squeak by on a screenie :D

EDIT/addl thought: Was Maxi able to demonstrate THAT particular Mars as higher FSB capable while he was using it? Were you on another CPU? This is the 1st CPU you put in there subzero and tonight was the 1st run right?

Well a big selling point of this board is the way high vcore it's capable of so I guess I just need to grow a pair and use it ;)

Errrr well....I think you are talking to the wrong person about a big set of balls. As you well know my overly big balls have resulted in quite a bit of casualties on the bench station :cry::cry::cry:

Corey,

on your unattached pics, see how all of the TIM is spilling over the side of the CPU? Too much TIM......

Personally I still think that you have too much on that first pic as well, but not so sure that its dramatic enough to make much of a difference.

FWIW.......

Its about half of what was on it before :p, it was hard to get that small amount without putting too much. lol

I think its a little better, if the temps are even being reported right, I launched hardware monitor again and its reading 50/57c again..

(hardware monitor reads exactly the same as coretemp, i just don't have to disable driver signing on startup)

i think the temps are fine :beer:

Seriously? 4.9 at Intel's "on the box" max rating?? That's some impressive stuff to see, and here I'm all happy I got 24+ hours on small ffts orthos with my 4.05ghz with 1.28v.

Great numbers!

CPU: E8400
ES/Retail: Retail
Batch #: Q746A489
Ship/Packaging Date: 01/09/08
Voltage(s) (Stock/OC'ed): 1.225 / 1.345 (bios)
Frequency(ies) (OC'ed): (450x9) 4.05GHz
Motherboard: abit IP35-Pro
BIOS: v16B09
-----
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Timing(s)): 4-4-4-12 1:1
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Voltage(s)): 2.2v
*Extra* Third Party Cooling Solution: ThermalRight Ultra-120 (non-Extreme)
*Extra* Paste(s)/Compound(s)/Other(s): Arctic Cooling MX-2
-----
Additional Comment(s): Voltages / As configured here this rig is 36 hours Prime Blend stable.

CPU: 1.345v (1.30~1.31 CPU-Z)
DDR2: 2.200v
CPU VVT: 1.10v
MCH = 1.33v
ICH = 1.05v
ICHIO = 1.50v
DDR2 REF = 0%
CPU GTLREF = 63% (for all)

Last edited:
e8400

Corey, I have never tried the thin line like shown in your pictures. I know thats what is recommended but cant bring myself to try it. I use AS5 and still put a paper thin layer over the cpu using a plastic baggy over my finger. Have never had it to spill over the edges of the cpu and temps all ways seem to be pretty good.

Looks like right now I have the most recent pack date!

Batch #: Q746A483
Ship/Packaging Date: 01/29/08
Voltage(s) (Stock/OC'ed): 1.225 / 1.20 (bios)
Frequency(ies) (OC'ed): (400x9) 3.60GHz
Motherboard: Abit IP35E
BIOS: m630a15
-----
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Timing(s)): 5-5-5-18 1:1
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Voltage(s)): 2.10v
*Extra* Third Party Cooling Solution: Coolermaster GeminII w/2 120mm fans
*Extra* Paste(s)/Compound(s)/Other(s): Coolermaster

After all the instability issues I had, I've done it! :eek:

Take that BIOS F7! :eek:

Seriously it definitely was a BIOS problem, or at least it played a major role in my issues. Here are the new results:

Two hours Windows Memtest stable (860MB for each instances): http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/555/memtestbb5.png

And the cherry on the cake, eight hours Orthos Blend stable!: http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/3905/orthosum1.png

BIOS F8c rules, Gigabyte surely did fixed Strap 2.66 (all of them). I believe so because... well not only is it mentioned as a changelog (so it has to be real and official, indeed) but also because the settings that I am currently using in my BIOS are the exact same settings I've been using with BIOS F7 which resulted in Orthos Blend failures after one to three hours maximum. Now those settings "magically" work with F8c. So yes, they fixed stuff related to memory and stability, that's for sure.

I'm very happy now. And the Orthos Blend test is still going on right now I didn't stopped it to take the pictures, I will let it go until twelve hours and I'll stop it after that. Now it's time to aim for higher over-clocks, finally! I mean I've been tweaking this machine for the past two weeks to get there. But now there is a huge weight taken out off of my shoulders now that I know it's probably entirely stable.

Gaming, here I come! :beer:

Last edited:
Batch #: Q746A516
Ship/Packaging Date: 01/29/08
Voltage(s) (Stock/OC'ed): 1.1125/1.35
Frequency(ies) (OC'ed): (445x9) 4.GHz
Motherboard: Asus P5K Deluxe
BIOS: 705
-----
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Timing(s)): 5-5-5-15 1:1
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Voltage(s)): 2.05
*Extra* Third Party Cooling Solution: Water
*Extra* Paste(s)/Compound(s)/Other(s): AS5
-----
Additional Comment(s):

Anyone else here running a P5K Deluxe with this chip? I could use a little advice with some of these Bios settings. I was about 3 versions behind and there seems to be more options now.

Back