• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unofficial Wolfdale E8400/E8500 OC Reports

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Did you see he said he has an E8500 and not an E8400. With the right cooling i think thats a realistic possibility.

8500 has starts off higher than the 8400 and also has the 0.5 multi option.

Makes no difference, same core, same stepping. The E8500 is just easy money for Intel since the E8400 will easily run the same speed.

Makes no difference, same core, same stepping. The E8500 is just easy money for Intel since the E8400 will easily run the same speed.

On that point I beg to differ. The 9.5 multi will allow for additional top end IMHO. But that only happens if you are FSB maxed or limited. I have not tested yet, but on my Mars with LN2 I would almost guarantee I could get more than I did on my E8400 since I was FSB maxed IMHO.

Then again, who knows until you try :D

From many sources I am seeing comments that Intel is improving their binning process and is putting their best in the higher rated procs.

May not have done that in the past, but with the advent of "mainstream" overclocking, realizes that they need to do this in order to sell the higher end products.

As support to this theory you need to go no further than the X48 chipset, which is simply binned X38s.

It will be very interesting to see whether or not this proves to be right when it comes to processors.

My E8400's retail box stated max Vcore of 1.225v...so I'm happy at 4.005Ghz and 1.38vCore...thats only 13% over recommend max voltage.

I have the same batch code as you...

I can't break 3.96ghz no matter how much I raise voltage. I can do it spi 32m stable at MOST 1.400v... even at 1.425v I can't raise the fsb even 1mhz, so I think I hit a wall.

Though, I'm wondering if I should play with other voltages. I did say NB, SB, and VTT one notch in BIOS, but I'm not sure how much that will affect performance. My e6400 did 520x8 ROCK STABLE primed with only a raise in vcore and that's IT!

I have the same batch code as you...

I can't break 3.96ghz no matter how much I raise voltage. I can do it spi 32m stable at MOST 1.400v... even at 1.425v I can't raise the fsb even 1mhz, so I think I hit a wall.

Though, I'm wondering if I should play with other voltages. I did say NB, SB, and VTT one notch in BIOS, but I'm not sure how much that will affect performance. My e6400 did 520x8 ROCK STABLE primed with only a raise in vcore and that's IT!

I asked this also on XS where you posted, what ram divider are you running? Sometimes that can make a difference.

Larry

I asked this also on XS where you posted, what ram divider are you running? Sometimes that can make a difference.

Larry

1:1 (ram in my sig), at 5-5-5-18 @ 2.2v, so under its spec too. FSB is in the 440mhz range to hit the mhz I'm hitting with the x9 multi.

Thats odd, I would think you'd have no problem going higher. Gotta be a setting. Have you messed with the GTL voltages at all? I've heard most with that board do not enable them, but perhaps you will need to mess with them.
I run with this board;
vtt 1.12v
NB 1.34v
GTLis only options of 57 to 67 with 4 settings on the cpu side, I leave them at 67.
NB GTL I also leave at 67 as I only have 61/67 to choose from.
Larry

e8400

Got some free time so I am going back and trying to get best oc on stock volts. Core temp reads 1.1125v so i started there. I hope to hit 3.5.

Attachments

Thats odd, I would think you'd have no problem going higher. Gotta be a setting. Have you messed with the GTL voltages at all? I've heard most with that board do not enable them, but perhaps you will need to mess with them.
I run with this board;
vtt 1.12v
NB 1.34v
GTLis only options of 57 to 67 with 4 settings on the cpu side, I leave them at 67.
NB GTL I also leave at 67 as I only have 61/67 to choose from.
Larry

Check out my post here.

I just saw your post now... wish I saw it sooner, but I came across someone's post at XS and figured why not try his values for GTL REF Volts... he set all of his to 60. I think default is 110 for them all. I've no idea what it does, or if I should adjust them to something else, but so far it net me almost over 200mhz for SPi 32M stability!! From 3.96ghz to 4.178ghz. :)

Cool :) Glad to hear you got it working! I know you probably don't want to, but see if 63/63/63 does you any better sometime :D

Think of GTL voltages as a gate at a Toll Booth, of which your car is the voltage and you have Speed Pass. If your paid up with the right amount, you sail right thru, However...if you didn't pay the correct amount, the gates down and you just hit a wall :D

Larry

Side note, been messing with my OC, and got 4233 Orthos stable at 1.31v load. Testing 4275 right now :D

Last edited:
Check out my post here.

I just saw your post now... wish I saw it sooner, but I came across someone's post at XS and figured why not try his values for GTL REF Volts... he set all of his to 60. I think default is 110 for them all. I've no idea what it does, or if I should adjust them to something else, but so far it net me almost over 200mhz for SPi 32M stability!! From 3.96ghz to 4.178ghz. :)

Nice I will have to give this a try as my e8400 barely hits 4Ghz.

Cool :) Glad to hear you got it working! I know you probably don't want to, but see if 63/63/63 does you any better sometime :D

Think of GTL voltages as a gate at a Toll Booth, of which your car is the voltage and you have Speed Pass. If your paid up with the right amount, you sail right thru, However...if you didn't pay the correct amount, the gates down and you just hit a wall :D

Larry

Side note, been messing with my OC, and got 4233 Orthos stable at 1.31v load. Testing 4275 right now :D
Is there an advantage to giving them DIFFERENT values, or typically all 3 the same values? And what makes you decide to try 60, or 59, or 63... are they linear-type values like vcore, vtt, vdimm, etc? or... are they like cycle values that are all unique like that one setting on my old DFI NF4 939... there was a cycle time value that affected RAM performance... it was a 4-digit #. I'm probably not making sense, but if you had the DFI NF4 ever you'd get what I'm saying.

Some values in BIOS are not linear and that's why people take funky interval leaps like going from 59 to 63 and then back down to 60... instead of like vcore where you go one notch up at a time and it has almost a linear effect.

Nice I will have to give this a try as my e8400 barely hits 4Ghz.

Ya dude, it took me a lot of wasted time to realize how important that setting was.

http://www.edgeofstability.com/articles/dfi_p35/default_gtl.html

There's the setting chart, some say for the 45nm cpu's it is different tho.

Larry

I've seen that before. AWESOME b/c I forgot about that link (I save everything on my file-server all organized and stupidly didn't check my server).

Now, that makes complete sense... alter the GTL values based on VTT... neato. Now to figure out if these actual will work for my e8400...

What does VTT and GTL do anyway?

Its sorta like I put in my little "Speed Pass" Analogy :D It is a timer I believe as to when the voltages coincide, at least thats what I get from it.

Lets see if this works....

Larry

http://www.edgeofstability.com/articles/dfi_p35/default_gtl.html

There's the setting chart, some say for the 45nm cpu's it is different tho.

Larry

Looking at the chart below I don't understand how you calculate the GTL setting... if 67% for the first value of 1.20vtt is 0.817 then why are you setting 84/83?? What the heck is 84/83... does that mean between 83 and 84... why not 84 84?? I'm lost.

And as for VTT, well I'm at 1.12vt right now and I think 1.10 is default (which I probably could even leave as is)... if I go for 67% of 1.12vtt (since that's what I have set), then my GTL should be 0.750... what the heck GTL value would that be?? Since I don't know how to reference them... what does 0.750 translate to? AHHHH

Attachments

• GTL-VTT.JPG
    GTL-VTT.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 820
The .0750 would be 75 I believe, however to throw a twist in it as that chart was made for 65nm cpu's ( I Heard anyhow), that it should be 63%! I'm actually kinda glad at this point that I only have 4 settings to pick so far on my board/LOL

63% of 1.12,( I'd suggest 1.1v BTW) is .70 or 70... ie; 1.12x63%
What a mess huh? :D

Larry

Also, 61/61/61 does work a tad better for me rather then 67/67/67 at 475x9, which is what I am working on sporadically. At 4275 I couldn't boot windows at 1.32v bios with 67's, but I can at 4275 with 61's. So in reality, I am lost as to the charts etc, just as much as everyone else!

Larry

Also, 61/61/61 does work a tad better for me rather then 67/67/67 at 475x9, which is what I am working on sporadically. At 4275 I couldn't boot windows at 1.32v bios with 67's, but I can at 4275 with 61's. So in reality, I am lost as to the charts etc, just as much as everyone else!

Larry

so it looks like we have to play the guessing game like you would with DRAM timings (the additional ones). I have grown to dislike that procedure!!!

Back