• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unofficial Wolfdale E8400/E8500 OC Reports

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm at work, the final testing phase begins in T minus 2 hours. I refuse to stress while I'm not home as I'm the only member of the household who knows anything about computers. I figure I'll start tonight when I get home and if it's stable overnight, I'll let it go for the 8 hours I'm at work(biting my nails the whole time) and post results after work. I figure that should be a total of 18 hours 30 minutes by that time.

I feel you on that one. My girlfriend has a powerbook (my fingers curl at the slightest touch), so i can at least use that for gen purpose while my comp is testing. My problem comes from the willpower factor; can I not play Mass Effect for 24hrs straight to get a solid ORTHOS run in?

So far, I'm 21.5hrs stable and counting :)

ok anyone keeping track of batch# ?

if so which is best batch # 814 or # 817 ?

thanks in advance all :beer: (it's a lot of pages to run through)

Last edited:
I just recently installed my E8400 and OCZ Vanquisher....the temps are really high...at Idle they go over 60C...and 70C under load. I know for a fact that I need more thermal paste coz at the moment theres very little on it...that too off of the Vanquisher from the previous CPU.

I wanted to know which software is showing the right readings though....Im a bit confused:

whichtempzj7.png

Realtemp is most accurate. It's my understanding that you should be no less than 30c from the TJ max.

not true... as i have pointed out to many people. distance to TJmax is what is important here. if you want to talk about accurate temps, why does RT need to be calibrated and CT doesnt? if TJmax is really 95c then edit the INI file as per the instrucions for CT to reflect that. it assumes 105c TJ you want 95c tj then put -10 in the line of the ini file the readme covers. then both RT and CT will be the same.. distnace to TJmax will not vary, i dont care if you calibrate RT 10 thosand times, it will be the same for both CT/RT. what we need is a another change in thinking of getting temps for cpus. we had to do it when going from P3's to P4's. it was like saying yea the cpu is hot to damn i see the cpu is getting really hot. P3's had no on die thermal diodes, they were on the motherboard in the socket. we need to forget temperatures and stick with distance to TJmax. Sorry old if it looked like i was getting on to you but im not. the statment that RT is more accurate then CT is false, for the reason's stated above. try it and you will see...

yes it does seem that staying at least 30c from Tj for 45nm is best and 20c from TJ for 65nm is best. as for my setup going into 29's results in a non stable system, once i get to around mid 30's all is good.

Oh no offense taken. I will ask this though. I have never calibrated RT and it has always had 95c as the TJ max and if the distance is hypothetically 30c from that and reading 75c why is it better to say it in relation to distance to TJ max when that is, in essence, the same thing. I'm also not trying to argue, just to understand.

Oh no offense taken. I will ask this though. I have never calibrated RT and it has always had 95c as the TJ max and if the distance is hypothetically 30c from that and reading 75c why is it better to say it in relation to distance to TJ max when that is, in essence, the same thing. I'm also not trying to argue, just to understand.

if the thermal diode's used on current 45nm are fubar'd and the only one that works correcrly is distance to TJ. then we should be using that, as changing the TJ be it 95c or 105 the temps reported change. Though if you notice the distance varition never doesn. IE if you changed coretemp to a different TJ settting Distance to tj stays the same, though die temp changes. try it with core temp and watch die temps change as you increase or decrease the TJ setting. then with the new tj setting in the INI file switch from temps to distance to TJ. you will see the distance to TJ nevers varies when you adjust the TJ setting in the ini file.

if the thermal diode's used on current 45nm are fubar'd and the only one that works correcrly is distance to TJ. then we should be using that, as changing the TJ be it 95c or 105 the temps reported change. Though if you notice the distance varition never doesn. IE if you changed coretemp to a different TJ settting Distance to tj stays the same, though die temp changes. try it with core temp and watch die temps change as you increase or decrease the TJ setting. then with the new tj setting in the INI file switch from temps to distance to TJ. you will see the distance to TJ nevers varies when you adjust the TJ setting in the ini file.

I must be missing something here, maybe on how "distance to tjmax" works but... if you adjust what the program thinks your TJMax is (like, from 105 to 95), then wouldn't the distance to change, since it now thinks this value is lower?

Or, is distance to TJMax an absolute reading that comes from the diode itself, which would make it independent of what the software thinks the TJMax really is...

Eureka! Its sort of coming to me a I write this... if I understand correctly, then:

diode does not report an actual temp reading, bu just a distance to TJMax. TJMax is something which is "programmed" inside the chip, and as of yet, the community at large dosn't know what this value actually is (hence the 105/95 guesswork). Programs like coretemp and realtemp just use their own "theoretical" TJMax (a user defined setting), to give you an "actual" temp. That is:
(user defined TJMax {may not be accurate}) - (TJMax {absolute reading}) = "actual" temp (may be inaccurate due to user defined TJMax)

The reason TJMax is "guesswork", "theoretical" and "user defined" is that Intel has not released this info to the public, and 95C was a number arrived at through empirical evidence from testing and comparison against 105C, and NOT necessarily absolutely correct.

Therefore, the distance to TJMax is the only absolute value coming straight from the diode and not calculated on "guesswork" values, so it is the only "across the board" value for us to compare temperatures.

If this is correct, then as Evilsizer says, we need to stop comparing temps which are based on "guesswork" (i.e. TJMax in programs) and start using DISTANCE FROM TJMax, which is the only value we have coming straight from the diode and thusly not then calculated on guesswork. *WHEW*

So... is what I'm saying here accurate?

Last edited:
I must be missing something here, maybe on how "distance to tjmax" works but... if you adjust what the program thinks your TJMax is (like, from 105 to 95), then wouldn't the distance to change, since it now thinks this value is lower?

Or, is distance to TJMax an absolute reading that comes from the diode itself, which would make it independent of what the software thinks the TJMax really is...

Eureka! Its sort of coming to me a I write this... if I understand correctly, then:

diode does not report an actual temp reading, bu just a distance to TJMax. TJMax is something which is "programmed" inside the chip, and as of yet, the community at large dosn't know what this value actually is (hence the 105/95 guesswork). Programs like coretemp and realtemp just use their own "theoretical" TJMax (a user defined setting), to give you an "actual" temp. That is:
(user defined TJMax {may not be accurate}) - (TJMax {absolute reading}) = "actual" temp (may be inaccurate due to user defined TJMax)

The reason TJMax is "guesswork", "theoretical" and "user defined" is that Intel has not released this info to the public, and 95C was a number arrived at through empirical evidence from testing and comparison against 105C, and NOT necessarily absolutely correct.

Therefore, the distance to TJMax is the only absolute value coming straight from the diode and not calculated on "guesswork" values, so it is the only "across the board" value for us to compare temperatures.

If this is correct, then as Evilsizer says, we need to stop comparing temps which are based on "guesswork" (i.e. TJMax in programs) and start using DISTANCE FROM TJMax, which is the only value we have coming straight from the diode and thusly not then calculated on guesswork. *WHEW*

So... is what I'm saying here accurate?

right, distance to TJ max is the only absolute reading we can count on. as for instance it doesnt matter if the TJ is 95c or 105c for the cpu. as you can do the math, if RT reports a 95c TJ and is showing 55c for temps, yes distance to TJ is 40c. Making 55+40=95c for TJ, now if it assumes 105c and reports 65c for a die temp. then your still 40c distance from TJ, that is what i meaning above. it being late when i posted i didnt fully think my post thru.

:clap::attn: ya TJ MAX is the only constant...

and on my E8400 fun this weekend playing with 2 different batches of E8400's batch #814 (4.0 at 1.22~1.30volts) is much better than batch#817 (3.8 at1.365~ dont wanna up it any more volts) wasted 12 hours on that 817 and never got it stable past 3.8!! & took 15 minutes to get the 814 to 4.0 at 1.22 volts

You'll really like that E8400 over your old Pentium D HD... especially when it comes to these new WUs were Folding. :)

Question....is there any way to identify e8400 batch number without looking at the CPU, I really don't feel like yoinkin my heatsink off. I need to compare mine to others of the same batch and figure out why I can't do more than 3.8Ghz w/ 1.4vcore :D

Ah, well that settles it then. I got Batch #Q801A290, which apparently is the sucks! Saw in another thread someone had to set it to 1.435 Bios to achieve 4Ghz. As much as I like overclocking, I do not see any benefit running the chip at this voltage as it will idle at 1.41Vcore. I really don't think I would see any real world performance gain from +200Mhz....and I bet the chip will have a longer life @ 1.4V Bios 1.36 idle. 4ghz would be nice to show off but I just gotta deal with the fact that I got a crappy batch :D And for christ sakes this batch VID is 1.25V :(

Also the only person in this thread that has this batch :(

CPU: E8400
ES/Retail: Retail
Batch #: Q801A290
Ship/Packaging Date: 3/27/08
Voltage(s) (Stock/OC'ed): 1.25V / 1.4V
Frequency(ies) (OC'ed): 3.825 GHz 425x9 (24/7)
Motherboard: Gigabyte P35-DS3l
BIOS: F8f
-----
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Timing(s)): OCZ Platinum DDR2-1000 5-5-5-18
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Voltage(s)): 2.1V
*Extra* Third Party Cooling Solution: Arctic 7 Freezer Pro
*Extra* Paste(s)/Compound(s)/Other(s): Arctic Silver 2

Additional Comment(s):
Completely stable for past 2 weeks after reducing NB voltage from +.2V to +.1V. Speedfan idle temps 38C-40C. Prime95 full load temps 50C-52C, peaked out around 60C when air conditioner is off and room temp around 75-80F.

Sure would be nice to be able to know the Batch # before buying this chip, but hey wat can ya do :screwy:

CPU: e8400
Batch #: Q745A741
Ship/Packaging Date: 1/11/08
Voltage(s) (Stock/OC'ed): 1.1125/1.344v(load)
Frequency (OC'ed): 3.8Ghz (8.5*475)
Motherboard: GA-P35-DS3L
*Extra* Memory (Frequency): 950Mhz (5-6-6-18)
*Extra* Memory (Brand): OCZ Platinum Rev.2
*Extra* Memory (Voltage): 2.22v
*Extra* Third Party Cooling Solution: TRUE

I had this cpu stable at 4GHz with 1.4v for 4months. It just started giving errors in ORTHOS stress test. So i decided to back down a little.

Batch #:Q750A208
Ship/Packaging Date: 03/18/08
Voltage(s) (Stock/OC'ed): 1.225 V
Frequency(ies) (OC'ed): 4.0 GHz 24/7 at 1.39 volts, (prime 95stable)
Motherboard: GA-P35-DS3L

Batch #: Q813A499
Ship/Packaging Date: 05/01/08
Voltage(s) (Stock/OC'ed): 1.187/1.296 vcore
Frequency(ies) (OC'ed): 4.1 mhz 24/7 Prime95 stable
Motherboard: Asus P5Q Pro
BIOS: 1104

Also 1.187/1.256v under load
stable 4.0 mhz

-----
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Timing(s)): Gskill DDR2 1066mhz 5-5-5-15
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Voltage(s)): 2.1v
*Extra* Third Party Cooling Solution:
*Extra* Paste(s)/Compound(s)/Other(s): MX-2 w/Thermaright 120 Ex with Scyth push pull 1900rmp fans
-----
Additional Comment(s): Runs a little hot... Using realtemp it says 65c... but i feel the temp is suspect as it idles at 39c with the case open at 20c ambient.

Last edited:
Batch #: Q807A297
Ship/Packaging Date: 3/31/08
Voltage(s) (Stock/OC'ed): .99V / 1.32V
Frequency(ies) (OC'ed): 4.3 GHz 478x9 (24/7)
Motherboard: DFI LT X38-T2R
BIOS: Initial bios 11/28
-----
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Timing(s)): Ballistix Tracers DDR2-1148 5-5-5-15
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Voltage(s)): 2.1V
*Extra* Third Party Cooling Solution: Apogee GT
*Extra* Paste(s)/Compound(s)/Other(s): MX-2

Batch #: Q746A515
Ship/Packaging Date: Not sure
Voltage(s) (Stock/OC'ed): 1.187/1.272 vcore (load)
Frequency(ies) (OC'ed): 3.9 mhz 24/7 Prime95 stable
Motherboard: Asus P5KC
BIOS: 1203

-----
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Timing(s)): Hyper X DDR2 4G @ 847Mhz(4-4-4-12)
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Voltage(s)): 2.1v
*Extra* Third Party Cooling Solution:Xigmatek S1284C
*Extra* Paste(s)/Compound(s)/Other(s): Xigmatek Thermal Grease PTI-G380

Additional Comment(s): Trying to clock a little faster but I'm coming up short on acount of the RAM.

Last edited:
Back